X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well that's a good pair of races on a Wednesday

Comment

Great run for chek Takei!

I thought he had 26:10 but just missed. What a run!

AOY

Comment

That was just astounding. Shoes and lights aside, it's still incredible to watch someone run that fast.

Sub 14 and sub 26 are gonna happen now. Will require perfect everything and literally springs for shoes and maybe even some lab creativity but both will happen in the next 10 years.

Comment

Originally posted by gm View Post
          No, that was a good pair of runs. They weren't races at all, except against the clock. I love watching competitive races, not time trials. What they did was very impressive. But in spite of the commentators' over-the-top excitement, I found it almost boring to watch. Again, I much prefer a close race where the question is not whether someone will beat pacer lights but rather who is going to get to the finish line first (and who's going to win the other medals).

Comment

This has been a rough 2 months for Kenenisa Bekele. Pulling out of the London Marathon and both this outdoor records wiped away.

Comment

Originally posted by gm View Post
              Most recent men's 10K WR on Wednesday - several others way back, and the only other women's WR on a Wednesday

30:40.2 Paavo Nurmi FIN Stockholm SWE 22 June 1921 Wednesday
              28:15.6 Ron Clarke AUS Melbourne, Victoria AUS 18 December 1963 Wednesday
              27:39.89 Ron Clarke AUS Oslo (Kristiania) NOR 14 July 1965 Wednesday

15:13.22 Anne Audain NZL Auckland NZL 17 March 1982 Wednesday

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman View Post

No, that was a good pair of runs. They weren't races at all, except against the clock. I love watching competitive races, not time trials. What they did was very impressive. But in spite of the commentators' over-the-top excitement, I found it almost boring to watch. Again, I much prefer a close race where the question is not whether someone will beat pacer lights but rather who is going to get to the finish line first (and who's going to win the other medals).
                you must have read my latest column!

Comment

One of the few real exciting events this year and ...the verdict...boring... Mr. Positive...

Slow close races can be exciting and completely forgettable. High school had plenty of those.

No wonder the sport is dying.
                  Last edited by Conor Dary; 10-07-2020, 09:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                    Doesn't change my perspective, but does he have Vaporflys?

26:11.02
                    That's quicker than twice Henry Rono's fastest 5000 WR!

Comment

Wow. We're at opposite ends of the spectrum on this. I'll take this over any Championship race that doesn't plumb the depths of the runners' endurance. I want red-lining all the way. This absolutely captivated me.

Comment

Duly noted.

Comment

Both technologies, (shoes and pacer lights) make it harder to compare current performances to past, but I am finding I dislike the pacer lights. They just make it too "easy." All you have to do is follow the unvarying light. Unlike following a human pace setter, you don't have to think about whether the pace setter is running the right pace. And you've got your pace setter all the way to the finish.

I find both head to head competition and someone racing the clock to be interesting and potentially exciting. In head to head competition you need both fitness and tactical acumen and execution to succeed.

To me, part of the excitement in watching a record attempt is seeing the runner have a slow lap and fall off the pace, then realizing it and forcing him/herself to pick up the pace. In both this 10,000 and in Farah's Hour WR, the laps were too even. "All" they had to do was stay with the lights.

I didn't find it boring, but with the element of pace judgment taking out of the run, it wasn't as intriguing of a test of the athlete as as it used to be.

Comment

I'm one of the lucky people who appreciates close races and record attempts; they both have their place, AFAIC. The London Marathon men's race was one of the best marathons I've ever seen, similar to the 2001 WC in Edmonton and that incredible 2015 Beijing women's race, with four women entering the tunnel together! I was using my SplitTimer program (which was broken for a while, but I just fixed it), and the current-pace and average-pace projections hardly varied, from each other and for each split. Of course, wavelight facilitates that. God, I wish Rob Barker would put a f%$$^)Uing sock in it. Sonia O'Sullivan was OK, useful mostly to get Rob the shut up for a few seconds. I noticed that Nicholas Kimeli did not drop out after his pacing duties were over, but I don't know whether he finished. Of course, they didn't show any of the other runners finishing. The "interviews" with Gidey and Cheptegei were of the usual mindless variety. How do you feel? What does this record mean to you? What does it mean to set this record in Valencia? Major kudos, BTW, to NN Running Team for making the live stream available worldwide and for free! Here's hoping the Hengelo "meet" on the 10th will also be available to everyone. It has Faith Kipyegon going, once again, after the kilo WR, Sifan Hassan and Tsehay Gemechu in 10,000 and Yomif Kejelcha and Stewart McSweyn in 5000. https://www.worldathletics.org/news/...jelcha-hengelo They will also be using wavelight technology.
                            Cheers,
                            Alan Shank
                            Woodland, CA, USA

Comment

I will take racing over a TT run. They missed the boat by not following ANYONE else for even ten seconds (two?). The 26:10 mark was lost on the penultimate lap with a 63.8 or something thereabouts.

Comment

Find me a few women who can run 14:06 and a few men who can run 26:11 and I would LOVE to watch that race!

Comment

Working...
                                X