>"Just remember that breaking 3:50 is only the
    >equivalent of breaking 3:33.0. In other words,
    >doesn't remotely make you an international threat
    >anymore."

What of 3:31.93? That's
    >Krummenacker's personal best, last time I
    >checked. He probably would have been better off
    >running the 1,500 at the World Championships.>

Not this year. He is not the same runner he was last outdoor season.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Re: 800 semi's

Krum is easily USA's best 800/1500/mile runner right now. As a "foreigner", Yanks back off, and give him some time to develop over the next few years. I believe he has the physical attributes and the mental toughness to be one of the best in the world. Unfortunately, 800 m races in major events are degenerating into tactical events. Kipketer's coming down with malaria back in 1997/1998, really ruined things. The way he demolished world records at the 1997 World Indoors, in heats, SF and F was truly awesome.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

"Just remember that breaking 3:50 is only the equivalent of breaking 3:33.0. In other words, doesn't remotely make you an international threat anymore."

What of 3:31.93? That's Krummenacker's personal best, last time I checked. He probably would have been better off running the 1,500 at the World Championships.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

It is certainly more of a threat than Jason Lunn running a 3:38.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Just remember that breaking 3:50 is only the equivalent of breaking 3:33.0. In other words, doesn't remotely make you an international threat anymore.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

I am pretty sure Krummenacker will run a sub 3:50 mile someday.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

If Krummenacker decides to run the 1500 I will consider him our top guy in that event.

If Krummenacker can run a 1:44 800meter should running a 1:56 for the first 800 of the 1500 meters really be that uncomfortable for him.

I know he hates the mile but with his speed he could grim and bear out at least a 3:51 mile.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

I'm not sure. Krum had
    >a great year last year. This year looked an awful
    >lot like the years prior with him not able to
    >accelerate when needed.

I don't think it
    >really matters what event he's in if he can't
    >change gears more like he did last year. That was
    >the difference.

You are right about his inability to change up. However, as long as the great El G is in the race there will be no need to change up - just hang on and hope to survive better than the others. Much the same way as the 800 but with a bit more room for error.

Your point is well taken. As fast as Krum is his apparent inability to change gears will be a problem. If El G. isn't in the race the story changes - the finish then becomes more import. He will need to be able to kick but at least he will be in the mix in a fast race and he may have the option to attempt a longer drive rather than wait for the last 100.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

>>i feel the same that krumm should make the
    >1500
    >his main focus, however, he was outkicked
    >this
    >summer by lunn in a 1500 race.

That was
    >a poor tactical race by Krum that played into
    >Lunn's hands. Give Jason a lot of credit for
    >pulling it off.

At this stage Krum doesn't
    >have much choice. He's not going to get much
    >faster but his speed is more than sufficient for
    >the 15. I think he has a couple late summer 15s
    >planned to set him on the course for next
    >year.

The 8 is unforgiving and leaves very
    >little room for error or tactics. The 15 is much
    >more tactical and as Annoying has said, Krum's
    >800 speed should allow him to hold 57s pretty
    >comfortably. He needs to start getting into the
    >rythm of the slower pace without losing his 800
    >speed. It shouldn't be too hard.>

I'm not sure. Krum had a great year last year. This year looked an awful lot like the years prior with him not able to accelerate when needed.

I don't think it really matters what event he's in if he can't change gears more like he did last year. That was the difference.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Krummenacker will most likely never let Lunn stay behind him the last 400 meters ever again. The trick is too lose Lunn with a fast 1:55/1:57 half mile. With this tactic Lunn will be at least 20 meters behind Krummenacker on the final lap. Lunn is an excellent tactical runner that can be beaten only by shear speed. If Krummenacker runs a European-style 1500 against Lunn the race is in Krummenacker's favor. Krummenacker would be wise to avoid trying to kick with the crafty Lunn the last 200 meters in a slow tactical race. This is why I believe Krummenacker will force faster times in next year’s 1500-meter Olympic trail finals. You can see now how Krummenacker alone can change the entire fabric of how the 1500 meters will be run at next year’s trails. Maybe his speed can force a few of our runners to get the "A" standard at the trails. Krummenacker is just not going to get stuck in a 3:45 pace with Lunn in the finals. Why play into your opponents strenghts.

In short Krummenacker is more of a European style racer, while Lunn is a traditional tactical NCAA- type racer. If Krummenacker runs a 3:35 or under at the Olympic trail finals Lunn will be hard pressed to keep up. You saw what this kind of pace did to Lunn at these World Championships.

As for the drug issue I never really given it any thought. Sorry Paulie.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

>Excuse me, but Krumm just won the indoor 800
    >Worlds just a few months ago, beating the world's
    >best, including some like Mutua that aren't even
    >in Paris. He had to come back too quickly from
    >injury for USATF, has never fully recovered.

Maybe if he hadn't screwed around indoors he would have done better this week. Indoors are nice but don't mean sh$^ compared to outdoors. It really doesn't matter how he did in March, what's really important is how he did in August. March should have been in preparation for August as it was with the guys in the finals.

Not to take anything away from Krum. He's America's best hope now. He has his head on straight and is very talented. But he can use his 800 talent to propel him into very good 1500 running rather than beating his head against the wall as he's been doing all summer.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

It has been twelve years since an
    >American has broken a 3:50 mile

the only two men to have broken 3:50 without epo are john walker and eamon coglan indoors....coe el g. were/are on drugs

Leave a comment:

• Grazer
    replied

Excuse me, but Krumm just won the indoor 800 Worlds just a few months ago, beating the world's best, including some like Mutua that aren't even in Paris. He had to come back too quickly from injury for USATF, has never fully recovered.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

>To beat Lunn all Krummenacker has to do is run a
    >fast first 800 meters. Lunn has only a 1:48 PR in
    >the 800 meters. Krummenacker has the advantage of
    >having world-class 800-meter speed. I don't think
    >there has ever been a US miler with
    >Krummenacker's 800-meter speed. If things go
    >right Krummenacker could be America's next sub
    >3:50 miler.

Rick Wohlhuter had Krummy's 800 speed, hehehe. Jim Ryun probably could have made the same claim had he actually concentrated on the 800 for year of so.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

>i feel the same that krumm should make the 1500
    >his main focus, however, he was outkicked this
    >summer by lunn in a 1500 race.

That was a poor tactical race by Krum that played into Lunn's hands. Give Jason a lot of credit for pulling it off.

At this stage Krum doesn't have much choice. He's not going to get much faster but his speed is more than sufficient for the 15. I think he has a couple late summer 15s planned to set him on the course for next year.

The 8 is unforgiving and leaves very little room for error or tactics. The 15 is much more tactical and as Annoying has said, Krum's 800 speed should allow him to hold 57s pretty comfortably. He needs to start getting into the rythm of the slower pace without losing his 800 speed. It shouldn't be too hard.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X