Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valencia THE place to break Records?

As I'm covering the past year as I play catch up in my blog since cataract surgery, I've noticed something!
    Valencia, Spain has become THE venue to break Records or run really fast times over the past year!
    Here's a list--

Half
    Kejelcha wins in 59:05 a year ago!
    Tefera beats Hassan with her 65:32.

Marathon
    Dereje leads a deep field of Women with her 2:18:30--5 going sub-2:20!
    The Men's winner runs 2:03:51!

Road 10K
    Kipruto smashes the WR with his 26:24!
    (And wasn't the previous Record--by Cheptegei) also run in Valencia??)

5000 & 10000
    As we all know, Gidey and Cheptegei crushed WR's with their 14:06.65 and 26:11.0 times--in one day!!

Other venues are known as the setting for many WR's--and other kinds of records!--but it seems Valencia is sort of the "new kid on the block".

Agree?

I don't think it would be a particularly good place to set distance WRs in the summer, with the Spanish heat and all. It's only because the season got derailed by Covid that they were able to put on a track meet in October.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Originally posted by Powell View Post
      I don't think it would be a particularly good place to set distance WRs in the summer, with the Spanish heat and all. It's only because the season got derailed by Covid that they were able to put on a track meet in October.
      Yes, I think it may be a good place before about mid May and after about mid September. In between these times, Scandinavia and other more northerly locations are probably better.

Comment

Spain in the summer is horrendous....

Comment

Some places are worse than others. Seville average high in July and August is 96F. Those of us who were at the World Champs in 1999 know how hot it can be there in the summer. Valencia, on the other hand, is on the Mediterranean coast, and the average high there in July and August is 87F, no warmer than Philadelphia.

Comment

I was in Seville for a conference in July 1996. It was over 110 every day. One day a gas station temperature sign read 50 which is 122F.

Of course the entire city shuts down early afternoon. And starts again at 8pm.

Comment

Another interesting statistic - negative splits seem to have become the norm in 10k WRs: https://trackandfieldnews.com/valenc...ekeles-10k-wr/

Comment

Kind of related story on distance record binge this summer. Hassan Runs New 10,000 European Record In Hengelo
                https://trackandfieldnews.com/hassan...rd-in-hengelo/

This was done in pouring rain 71 sec/lap. She will go faster next summer (fall). Watch it on YouTube
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1aVUxHhzlo

I love track and field in September and October Mr. Coe! Longer season not shorter is the answer IMO.

Comment

I thought Rieti was the prime location.

Comment

Originally posted by huntinwr View Post
                    It was. But that meet has been defunct for a couple of years now.
                    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Originally posted by huntinwr View Post
                      My idea for this topic was not to say other venues haven't had a long and gloried history of record breaking.
                      They have--Rieti (as noted), Hengelo, the Bislett Games, Zurich's Weltklasse, even the Prefontaine Classic--among others!

But it seemed to me that--at least in the past year--Valencia had seen a LOT of "WR" times, great comps--more than some other notable places--such as this year's Dubai Marathon--which was somewhat below the "norm" for that race!

I was just talking about the past year--since last fall--not really about all time!
                      Although the Valencia Half has pretty much always had great results!!

Comment

Working...
                      X