Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why don't we just drop the dec and the hep and do outdoor pentathlon for both? That would be even more inclusive than the hep and much easier for meet directors and television friendly. Why is the hep better than the pent?

Comment

Why do we have the pole vault at all? If we cannot achieve participation everywhere in the world, why don't we just drop that instead of the 50k RW. Race walking has much better global participation than pole vault and does not require expensive equipment.

Comment

Originally posted by polevaultpower View Post
        Then I hope you will be as outspoken for the men to stop doing the decathlon as you are opposed to the women doing it.
        In other threads, I've said I'm all for dropping the decathlon and having both men and women do a one-day heptathlon.

Comment

Why do we have the pole vault at all? If we cannot achieve participation everywhere in the world, why don't we just drop that instead of the 50k RW.
          Does retaining the pole vault mean dropping another event? If yes, then we can take a serious look at which other event should be dropped or whether to drop the pole vault. If not, keeping the pole vault isn't displacing opportunities, so leave it alone.

Why is the hep better than the pent?
          Once there are two runs, two throws, and two jumps, I think that covers the bases well enough. So that means a hexathlon at a minimum. After that, more isn't necessarily better.

Comment

Then I hope you will be as outspoken for the men to stop doing the decathlon as you are opposed to the women doing it.
            This ^^^

If you are against women doing the decathlon, then you have to be against men doing it too. Simples. As long as the plan to introduce the decathlon/phase out the heptathlon is done properly, there is no logical argument to have two different multi events for men and women, it is completely sexist otherwise.

The sport ha been through it all before with the pentathlon/heptathlon. It aint that hard, its just timing and managing it.

The only other option is to scrap both and have an Octathlon for both sexes. The only problem I have with that is trying to decide what combination of events, as the danger is it becomes like the heptathlon and unfairly rewards the sprinter/jumpers.

Comment

The reason the Dec exists at all is to determine who is best at a wide range of events, ten providing a large enough variety to make that determination. That's why I favor a Dec for men and women. I understand and sympathize for those who don't have access to the PV, but that problem has existed for men all these years. If there's a pit for men Dec, there's a pit for women's Dec.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                The reason the Dec exists at all is to determine who is best at a wide range of events, ten providing a large enough variety to make that determination. That's why I favor a Dec for men and women. I understand and sympathize for those who don't have access to the PV, but that problem has existed for men all these years. If there's a pit for men Dec, there's a pit for women's Dec.
                Exactly.

Access to a PV pit should be decoupled from this, that is a separate issue.

Comment

If equipment cost is the issue, we should just drop the entire sport. There's probably not a track facility anywhere that is fully supported by the sport itself.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiederganger View Post
                    If you are against women doing the decathlon, then you have to be against men doing it too.
                    So let's drop the men's decathlon and have both men and women do a one-day heptathlon or hexathlon.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiederganger View Post
                      Access to a PV pit should be decoupled from this, that is a separate issue.
                      It is a core issue for the women's decathlon. Back when the women's heptathlon was introduced to the Olympic program in 1984, an important reason why it wasn't the decathlon was that there was no women's pole vault at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Cooter Brown View Post
                        If equipment cost is the issue, we should just drop the entire sport. There's probably not a track facility anywhere that is fully supported by the sport itself.
                        Baby, bathwater.

Comment

Reality check - I don't see the WA dropping the men's Dec, so let's at least show our support for gender equality by moving to the wDec.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                            Reality check - I don't see the WA dropping the men's Dec, so let's at least show our support for gender equality by moving to the wDec.
                            Yeah, nice way to support equality by removing competitive opportunities for girls and young women.

Remember this isn't just about adding the women's decathlon. It's about removing the heptathlon, which is why it hasn't already been done, and might not be done for a long time (if ever).

Comment

Originally posted by 18.99s View Post
                              Yeah, nice way to support equality by removing competitive opportunities for girls and young women.
                              They will have the SAME opportunities as the men have, which is what 'gender equality' means. If a man can find the opportunity, so can a woman.

Comment

JJK could have probably scored 9000+ points with mediocre DT/PV/1500.

Comment

Working...
                                X