Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tierney Wolfgram AJR Marathon 2:31:49

Had to look her up after seeing home-page link. She's UNevada freshman, graduating a year early from Woodbury HS in Minn.
    HS XC PR was 16:48.67!

Another one of those phony records like in Vienna and Valencia. Three participants: two men that paced her, and her.
    Serious track fans, please ignore this performance.

Comment

Don't be silly...it was a fine performance...nothing illegitimate about it.
      'Serious' track fans poohbahing everything is why the sport is on its deathbed.

Whether it was wise is something else...
      Last edited by Conor Dary; 11-09-2020, 11:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
        Don't be silly...it was a fine performance...nothing illegitimate about it.

Whether it was wise is something else...
        given that she ran 2:40:03 two years ago and already ran in the OT this year, I'd say that ship sailed long ago

Comment

Indeed. ...will see how long she lasts...

Comment

from the front page story

<<Sessions like 4 x 20 minutes averaging marathon pace or a little faster (with 5:00 rest) helped Wolfgram know she was on track to take a shot at the record. Her mileage peaked at 102 miles, which was more than she ran in preparation for February’s Olympic Marathon Trials, but significantly less than the 120 per week she ran leading up to her first marathon at the 2018 Twin Cities Marathon, where she ran 2:40:03 at age 15.>>

Comment

Originally posted by Powell

Mary Decker ran a marathon at the age of 12, and, whatever she was on, she lasted pretty long.
              Lots ran 1...Lynn Jennings ran one ...a friend of mine ran a marathon around 20 in 3:29 and later ran in the Olympics 10,000 for Britain.

It may work out well....I still don't think it is wise...so many at such a young age. She 17 or so...

Clancy Devery ran 2:21 40 years ago in high school and he never did much after that.
              Last edited by Conor Dary; 11-10-2020, 12:28 AM.

Comment

Another teen phenom in the HMar. Can't believe she's 29 now, but WHAT a career!

https://www.runnersworld.com/runners...rathon-oregon/

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                  Another teen phenom in the HMar. Can't believe she's 29 now, but WHAT a career!

https://www.runnersworld.com/runners...rathon-oregon/
                  Say what now?

Did Hasay ever run a half as a teen?

Comment

Originally posted by gm View Post
                    Say what now? Did Hasay ever run a half as a teen?
                    My syntax was inelegant. JH will always be a TP to me, and she just ran a HM at 29 (is what I meant to say).

Comment

Hard to believe Jordan is 29. I will forever remember her as a 16-year-old, 5-foot blonde pixie with a bouncing 3-foot braid.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                        My syntax was inelegant. JH will always be a TP to me, and she just ran a HM at 29 (is what I meant to say).
                        Ahhhh, OK. I thought maybe Eta had smacked you senseless

Comment

Originally posted by gm View Post
                          Ahhhh, OK. I thought maybe Eta had smacked you senseless
                          Too late. Already am . . .

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
                            Hard to believe Jordan is 29. I will forever remember her as a 16-year-old, 5-foot blonde pixie with a bouncing 3-foot braid.
                            She was 13 when she won her race in high school (won by a country mile? or was it an open race where she beat a lot of good senior runners - 16 years ago...). Another one that was extremely good as soon as she started running was Molly Seidel in the Milwaukee area running for a very small religious school. Ups and downs, pretty well documented, culminating (so far) in the Trials semi-surprise. She got what Hasay missed twice now (first Footlocker/NCAA double, Olympics)

Comment

Just listened to Carrie Tollefson's podcast interview with Tierney Wolfgram--and Tierney's 2 male pacers (& teammates at UN-R) in her AJR Marathon--run in Sacto recently.
                              Great & fun 50 minute conversation.
                              A couple of comments.

Back in the 70's--when I ran ALL of my dozen 26.2's--many young kids--male and female--ran marathons & other long races.
                              I remember mostly Mike & Maryetta (sp?) Boitano running the Avenue of the Giants race (I ran that 5-6 times while living close by!).

Now, many look down on teens (or younger!) running anything longer than maybe 5K.
                              I think runners of ANY age should begin running shorter distances--even just the 800-mile--and gradually moving up.
                              But the NCAA (& HS) systems don't offer opportunities for anything longer than 10K's--and even they are rare!

Run how you feel!
                              Rules are made to be broken--like Records!

As for Clancy Devery (mentioned by someone earlier--according to Jack Shepard's HS Track book--Devery's HSR is 2:23:05, NOT the 2:21:40 mentioned earlier.
                              It was run on the Seaside OR course in 1977.
                              I ran the Seaside course in 1974 & 1975.
                              In '74, went out way too fast the first mile and tore a tendon & DNF'ed.
                              But in '75, I crushed my PR (from 74's AG race!) by 6:35!
                              My time there was 3:00:55, but had been on 2:57 pace through 22 miles!

Anyway, I LOVE the spirit & courage & enthusiasm of Tierney Wolfgram!
                              Last edited by aaronk; 11-12-2020, 07:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X