Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

and you think track's format-tinkering is radical....

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• and you think track's format-tinkering is radical....

see what Modern Pentathlon is up to

https://www.insidethegames.biz/artic...rmat-confusion

A few years back, there was a proposal to replace equestrian with mountain biking which I think would make sense since equestrian makes the sport expensive, and prevents the sport from gaining popularity. With biking, it would become Triathlon plus fencing and shooting. The IOC could even merge the two federations.

Comment

The problem with getting rid of modern pentathlon is that a leader of the international federation now is Juan Antonio Samaranch, Jr., who is an IOC member, is very powerful, and is likely the next President of the IOC in 2025. He supports modern pentathlon and has kept it on the Olympic Program, but it is hanging by a thread.

Comment

Given the close alignment of the Modern Pentathlon with the military, we should be thankful that they do not consider simply updating to more modern military skills. UAV operating? Team Counter-Terrorism activities? Competitive Acquisition? (coming from someone with over three decades spent in support of the US Army.)

Comment

Cycling getting closer to replacing horses in modern pentathlon, maybe... Or, they might just stop punching horses...

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...lympic-turmoil

Does cycling mean road or mountain bike? From another thread: https://forum.trackandfieldnews.com/...pics-it-s-time

Originally posted by Powell View Post

And making MTB a part of it will make it neither military nor unique. Granted, fencing and horse riding haven't been a standard part of military training for a while now, but at least there is some historical logic behind the sport as it is now.

Comment

Can they just cancel this 'sport' and add cross country to the athletics programme instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Juicy News View Post
              Can they just cancel this 'sport' and add cross country to the athletics programme instead.
              Something more "modern" like an obstacle/cross country race like Spartan Race is more likely than cross country.

Comment

Talk about an "elite" sport. And we are fretting over PV equipment access for women around the world.

Comment

Originally posted by Steele View Post
                  Talk about an "elite" sport. And we are fretting over PV equipment access for women around the world.
                  Because the women's decathlon would replace the heptathlon, not add to it. If modern pentathlon was being brought in to replace something more accessible like the triathlon, there would be a major uproar against doing that.

Comment

Originally posted by Steele View Post
                    It is rather. Of the traditional 5 sports in the modern pentathlon, I have only ever swam or ran. I have never ridden a horse*, fired a gun (not even a starting pistol) or fenced.

*I have sat on a horse as a boy while it was led round in a circle by its owner but I don't think that really counts!

The British women have an excellent record since it was in the Olympics, I think many of them first take up the sport at pony clubs. Steph Cook who won the Olympics in 2000, had finished 7th in the English National Cross-Country a couple of years before.
                    Last edited by Trickstat; 11-02-2021, 09:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Trickstat View Post

It is rather. Of the traditional 5 sports in the modern pentathlon, I have only ever swam or ran. I have never ridden a horse*, fired a gun (not even a starting pistol) or fenced.

*I have set on a horse as a boy while it was led round in a circle by its owner but I don't think that really counts!

The British women have an excellent record since it was in the Olympics, I think many of them first take up the sport at pony clubs. Steph Cook who won the Olympics in 2000, had finished 7th in the English National Cross-Country a couple of years before.
                      I have run, swim and shot a rifle....and I have ridden a horse.

Last edited by Conor Dary; 11-02-2021, 10:32 PM.

Comment

Modern Pentathlon is for wannabe Olympians who are [edit addition - NOT] good at any sport.
                        Last edited by Tuariki; 11-03-2021, 07:24 AM.

Comment

Conor, my friend, that is a serious HORSE. Puts any that I have ridden to shame.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuariki View Post
                            Modern Pentathlon is for wannabe Olympians who are good at any sport.
                            Did you forget a "not" somewhere?

Comment

The problem with equestrian in addition to the expense is the random element it adds to the competition. The Athletes do not ride their own horse. They are assigned a horse. I am all for replacing it with mountain biking. Heck, I’d even replace the horses with motorcycle riding. :-) That would be closer to military these days.

Comment

Working...
                              X