Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

and you think track's format-tinkering is radical....

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post

Not exactly in the modern pentathlon. The problem in the modern pentathlon is that the athletes cannot bring their own horses. They ride horses selected from a pool and are randomly assigned to the riders. So the athletes have no idea what horse they are going to get or how good it is at jumping, following commands, etc. That was the problem in Tokyo. The German rider had a terrible horse that would not even attempt to jump a fence. The German rider was leading the competition until then but getting the bad horse basically took her out of contention for the win or a medal. That's why she and the coach were so mad (note: I do not condone punching the horse even despite this, however, although I did comment on twitter that the German coach's new nickname will obviously become "Mongo")
    Well, yes, the "unfamiliar horse" has been a fundamental component of the sport but this doesn't mean untrained horses.

As far as I know, most of the horses used come from a show jumping/eventing background, so are familiar with the task required. In some cases, they have been bred from other successful show jumpers just like thoroughbreds are for racing.

All the horses that have no facility for jumping are directed to less challenging activities such as trail riding or similar or just sent to the knackery, so they normally wouldn't be available for pentathlon.

The organisers in London2012 selected only about a third of the original pool of nominated horses (~half physically trialled) in order to eliminate problematic horses. https://www.horseandhound.co.uk/news...tathlon-313712

Whether that many horses were available and whether that much care was taken in Tokyo, I just don't know. In some cases the horses were probably much better than the riders, so I don't think it's fair to blame the horses for every bad outcome.

Comment

Me, too. I describe myself as a meatatarian.

Q: You know how you can always tell a vegetarian?

A: No need to. They'll always tell you they are.

Comment

Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post

Me, too. I describe myself as a meatatarian.

Q: You know how you can always tell a vegetarian?

A: No need to. They'll always tell you they are.
        Usually that's only after a meat eater bugs them about why their meal doesn't have meat.

Comment

Working...
        X