X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HS Girl breaks 16 for XC 5K!

I couldn't believe this!

https://www.milesplit.com/articles/2...at-runninglane

I saw this in the local news, as well. I have run this course once (although somewhat slower.....), and it is certainly amenable to fast times. I hope the distance is verified, as this is the kind of good news we all need.

Comment

Originally posted by KevinR View Post
      I saw this in the local news, as well. I have run this course once (although somewhat slower.....), and it is certainly amenable to fast times. I hope the distance is verified, as this is the kind of good news we all need.
      It was double-checked and known to be fast, but even with XC's widely varying course demands, this kind of barrier-breaker is huge.

Comment

Originally posted by KevinR View Post
        I hope the distance is verified
        Knowing that the same thought was probably in the minds of most readers, the reporter mentions the runner's GPS watch tracking the distance as 3.13 miles. While not determinative, it is a positive sign.

Comment

Originally posted by wamego relays champ View Post
          Knowing that the same thought was probably in the minds of most readers, the reporter mentions the runner's GPS watch tracking the distance as 3.13 miles. While not determinative, it is a positive sign.
          From the article

It also should be noted that course directors said afterward, quite clearly, that John Hunt Park had been measured scientifically down to the last meter, with a fully-credentialed 3.1 course.

Comment

Great time--and she's just a junior??
            But XC times can not be compared in any way to track times, INdoors or OUTdoors!
            I acknowledge--as others have said--that this course was 5K, and even a bit hilly.
            But still, Mary Cain's 15:45 OUTdoors, and Katelyn Tuohy's 15:37 INdoors hold sway as the only REALLY valid 5000 meter Records!!

Comment

3.1 miles is 4988.9664 meters. Is this a 3.1 mile course or a 5000 meter course? If it's really measured at 5000 meters, why don't they call it a 5 kilometer course?
              Alan Shank
              Woodland, CA, USA

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Shank View Post
                3.1 miles is 4988.9664 meters. Is this a 3.1 mile course or a 5000 meter course? If it's really measured at 5000 meters, why don't they call it a 5 kilometer course?
                I assume they were abbreviating the 5K mileage equivalent, as one often sees.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                  I assume they were abbreviating the 5K mileage equivalent, as one often sees.
                  just like all sprinters drop 100ths, so a 10.39 guy will "always" say his best is 10.3.

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post

just like all sprinters drop 100ths, so a 10.39 guy will "always" say his best is 10.3.
                    Also describing a marathon as 26.2 miles when it is a little bit further than that.

Comment

She just broke the HSR in the 5000--according to a Mile Split tweet!
                      Her time was 15:34.47!
                      This shatters Mary Cain's OUTdoor HSR by by almost 11 seconds!!
                      (I recognize separate records for INdoors and OUTdoors! Thus, Hutchins's mark does NOT break Katelyn Tuohy's INdoor HSR!! At least by me--and my blog!!)

Comment

just to clarify: this latest time is a track mark,not XC

Comment

This young lady is having a stellar year. Nice to know that 2020 has been kind to someone! lol

Comment

Hutchins also bettered the US U20 record of 15:43.31 (there have been faster marks than that which were not ratified)

Comment

and obviously a Youth (U18) record

Comment

Working...
                              X