Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off-Beat Athlete News

Originally posted by South Florida Sun-Sentinel
    Asafa Powell, world-record holder for the 100 meters, is the latest local sports star to receive a land grant from the Jamaican government.

Jamaica's outgoing Prime Minister, P.J. Patterson, said after talks with the athlete that steps would be taken to assist Powell with construction on the land.

Powell is being given similar treatment to that given the Reggae Boyz who qualified for the 1988 World Cup in France.

Powell is one of three Jamaicans in the top 10 of the IAAF world rankings for 100 meters.

He is at No. 4. The other Jamaicans are Dwight Thomas at No. 2 and Michael Frater at No. 10.
    Source

Alekna Puts Lithuania on the Map

Alekna puts Lithuania on the map

By TBT staff
    (Excerpted from this source)
    • VILNIUS – Virgilijus Alekna, Lithuania’s world discus champion, has received an award for making the biggest contribution in bringing recognition to Lithuania.

The award, part of the LT Identity contest, was announced by the President’s Office.

Alekna was the gold-metal winner at the 2000 and 2004 summer Olympics. He was also world champion in 2003 and 2005. Alekna also works as bodyguard of Prime Minister Algirdas Brazauskas.

Comment

Do you save this stuff until we wake up over here, Pellester?

Comment

His agent called me and said, Pelle...Pellester...Pelletron...EPelle...whatever your name is, get this guy some good press. Alekna is a bodyguard, you do understand. I had no choice - even though Squackee stood behind me and warned of henchmen in a rusted van awaiting round the corner.

Comment

Working...
        X