Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Shot (!) at a USA Pro Track League [Crouser WR]

I see in a home-page-linked article that the 'Pro Track Series' is going to sponsor some domestic meets this year. There have been previous attempts, like the 'American Track League'. This would seem to be a great opportunity for USATF to try and coordinate a concerted effort to establish a coherent domestic schedule.
    Last edited by gh; 01-24-2021, 09:32 PM.

I still remember the ITA from 1973 and thereabouts!
    Gerry Lindgren, Bob Seagren, Lee Evans, Jim Ryun, and others were part of it!

Comment

I am looking forward to this. While most of the marquee athletes will look for the best head to head competition, this will open up more opportunities for those on the upswing. While I do not expect it to explode in popularity, I think it has potential (with the ongoing point system) to capture the interest of the more casual fan, if it is covered well. Fingers crossed!

Comment

These people know any history of the sport? The ignorance is mind boggling ....there were lots of opportunities....they died from lack of interest...also starting the series in May? Good luck with that.

“That’s the position we’re in with track because for as long as I can remember, there’s just been a dearth of competitive opportunities for professional track athletes here,” Milner explained. “So they have to go to Europe and live out of a suitcase for four or five weeks at a time, and that’s just so hard for people to do, especially those that have families or have jobs. I feel like it’s been slowly killing the interest in the sport for the public for decades. …We need to bring the sport back to the U.S. to keep it relevant.”

Comment

The Summer Track Town series was a loser in Eugene...it lasted one year.

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
            These people know any history of the sport? The ignorance is mind boggling ....there were lots of opportunities....they died from lack of interest...also starting the series in May? Good luck with that.
            It took you awhile to shake off the rust after your hiatus. But you're back in full form now.

Comment

I had 45 minutes in the "how long 'til our resident naysayers crap on this idea" pool.

Comment

If USATF sat down with all the people who have tried to get something like this off the ground, I really think the collective experience, along with USATF's promotion, and some targeted sponsors in the proposed cities could get somewhere. Tie-ins with age-group associations, HS federations, colleges, and track clubs could provide the mortar for the outstanding bricks (athletes!) we have.
                As I have droned on endlessly about before . . . we have a huge, annually-renewing population of prospective fans, 15-22yo T&F current or former athletes, and I have rarely seen any marketing that tries to keep them in the sport as fans.
                But . . . the key is encouraging COORDINATION . . . ahem . . . USATF. The 3 leagues mentioned here (ATL, STT, PTS) seem to spring up w/o the benefit of cross-pollination.
                I'm afraid CD may be right, not in his attribution (lack of interest), but in a dearth of sustainability because we have not learned our lessons as we should have.
                Sigh, tilting at windmills?

Comment

Originally posted by gm View Post
                  I had 45 minutes in the "how long 'til our resident naysayers crap on this idea" pool.
                  Which is why I just posted some 'encouragement', albeit from someone so far out of the loop that it will like like pie-in-the-sky.

Comment

Originally posted by J Rorick View Post

It took you awhile to shake off the rust after your hiatus. But you're back in full form now.
                    Exactly....the rest did me good.

Comment

As I have droned on endlessly about before . . . we have a huge, annually-renewing population of prospective fans, 15-22yo T&F current or former athletes, and I have rarely seen any marketing that tries to keep them in the sport as fans.

I have 4 nephew and nieces who all did D1 track....after college their interest went to zero no matter how much I talked about it.... all their teammates have the same attitudes from reading their FB stuff....with the only exceptions of Hassan Mead and Ben Blankenship...

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
                        Exactly....the rest did me good.
                        Which is why you should be up to the prodigious task of constructive criticism, encouragement, and optimism.

Comment

An outdoor pro circuit is dead in the water....unless it is heavily sponsored like Pre ....it didn't even work in New York... Des Moines has the Drake Relays and that is falling in popularity.

The most popular track in the US was indoors on small tracks....I have wrote before that getting a 160 track and imperial distances and touring around in small cities might have some appeal. At least it would be something different...and might have a chance to succeed.
                          Last edited by Conor Dary; 12-16-2020, 08:52 PM.

Comment

The worse thing the domestic sport did was the change to metric.... the American public never followed along....

Comment

Probably has little to do with the general lack of interest, but it is a big turnoff for me when 90 percent of the field in every race distance race look like identical billboards for Nike. It also is interesting that the results usually list the athletes' sponsoring equipment companies. That is something that you don't typically see in other individual sports, such as tennis, golf, swimming and wrestling.

Comment

Working...
                              X