Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by deca View Post

marathons and CrossFit make money on spectators watching (tv) and on gambling (well the bookies do which gets people to watch).
    The amount of money marathons make from tv is infinitesimal, if that, compared to entry fees...

CrossFit makes money from their clubs....

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post

The amount of money marathons make from tv is infinitesimal, if that, compared to entry fees...

CrossFit makes money from their clubs....
      i just looked up the gambling deals. CrossFit makes a lot of money on the games, yes from participants - and clubs - back to the point that we (track) could make money as a league from the participants and it could pay pros - vs what happens w Usatf right now.

and gambling on it will be fun.

Comment

Gambling is the wsy to go.

Easy to create a gambling scenario that should attract tens of millions of followers

Comment

ESPN will cover

24 JAN 2021 American Track League 1 Randal Tyson Indoor Center, Fayetteville, AR
          Men Events 60, 400, MILE, 60H, PV
          Women Events 60, 200, 800, 60H, TJ

31 JAN 2021 American Track League 2 Randal Tyson Indoor Center, Fayetteville, AR
          Men Events 60, 200, 800, 60H, SP
          Women Events 60, 400, MILE, 60H, PV

07 FEB 2021 American Track League 3 Randal Tyson Indoor Center, Fayetteville, AR
          Men Events 60, 400, MILE, 60H, PV
          Women Events 60, 200, 800, 60H, HJ

14 FEB 2021 American Track League 4 Randal Tyson Indoor Center, Fayetteville, AR
          Men Events 60, 200, 800, 60H, SP
          Women Events 60, 400, MILE, 60H, PV

edit -

So the core events for one sex or the other are:
          Mile
          60H
          PV

I approve! (considering the abbreviated format). I sure hope they can entice 'names' for each event.
          Because ESPN is involved, we have hope for some semblance of success.
          Last edited by Atticus; 01-08-2021, 05:54 PM.

Comment

Might be interesting...short and quick....though curious how it works out...is it going to be just the same few people on the same track for 4 weeks in a row..doesn't sound terribly exciting...

BTW USATF indoors canceled...
            Last edited by Conor Dary; 01-08-2021, 05:53 PM.

Comment

I see that the ATL will have a 'wrinkle':

each meet will have one “Knockout Event”. Each week the world-class field in one of the short sprint/hurdles events (60-meter dash or 60-meter hurdles), will be advancing to the finals in a unique, “Knockout”. Those events will have a first round of 4 heats and two competitors in each heat. The winner of each head-to-head trial will advance to a four-person semi-final round. The semi-final will also be head-to-head with two heats and the winners advancing to the Final. However, as a unique fan-engagement process, one of the knocked-out athletes will be added to the final by fan vote on social media. Voting opens immediately after the last semi-final and fans watching LIVE around the world, can take to Twitter @AmericanTrack and vote for their favorite to make the final.
              While I'm not a huge fan of reality-TV shenanigans in my sport, I'm willing to put my qualms in abeyance, as I would really, really like domestic T&F to be successful.
              They may not, however, have the abominable DL travesty in the jumps/throws where last round takes all.

Comment

Advancing to the final by a Twitter vote? I'll look at this with an open mind, but I doubt that I'll like it.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman View Post
                  Advancing to the final by a Twitter vote? I'll look at this with an open mind, but I doubt that I'll like it.
                  I can dislike it without further consideration.

Comment

Love the idea of a "rescue" tweet! Great for remote fan interaction.

Comment

Originally posted by gm View Post
                      Love the idea of a "rescue" tweet! Great for remote fan interaction.
                      It also encourages the athletes to maximize their appeal to and engagement with the audience in order to win their favor.

Comment

Something different would be a nice change....

Comment

this weekend's ATL1 has announced 2 start lists:
                          Women’s High Jump Start List:
                          Vashti Cunningham USA
                          Amina Smith USA
                          Jelena Rowe USA
                          Rachel McCoy USA
                          Tynita Butts USA
                          Taliyah Brooks USA
                          Men’s 400m Start List
                          Fred Kerley
                          USA
                          Christopher Taylor JAM
                          Wil London USA
                          Myles Pringle USA
                          Kyle Clemmons USA
                          Quincy Hall USA

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
                            Vashti Cunningham
                            Fred Kerley
                            It's a step in the right direction.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuariki View Post
                              Gambling is the wsy to go.

Easy to create a gambling scenario that should attract tens of millions of followers
                              I would think we'd need well balanced fields and athletes on the start list to actually show up for gambling to work.

Regardless, someone has to make enough profit off the event in order to fund the event.

Comment

Am I the only one harboring reservations with respect to gambling? While it may bring more "eyes" to the sport, I fear for the motivation to either tank, or throw altogether, a race.

Comment

Working...
                                X