Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KevinR View Post
    Am I the only one harboring reservations with respect to gambling? While it may bring more "eyes" to the sport, I fear for the motivation to either tank, or throw altogether, a race.
    Absolutely. Adding gambling just creates another problem.
    And what a hypocrite I am. I have wagered through Brit bookies and won money in previous Olympics!

Comment

Track should try handicap races....

A couple of years ago in the National 15k road race the women had a 5 or so minute lead on the men....and prize money for the first, man or woman, finisher....Ben True caught Amy Cragg with 300 meters to go....it was shown live and one of the most entertaining things I have seen in ages.

Comment

I would enjoy the handicap races, as well. It would add a new element to the finishing sprint, for certain.

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
          this weekend's ATL1 has announced 2 start lists:
          Men’s 400m Start List
          Fred Kerley
          Christopher Taylor JAM
          Wil London USA
          Myles Pringle USA
          Kyle Clemmons USA
          Quincy Hall USA
          This is a relatively high quality field and good to see. Interested in what Quincy Hall, newly a pro, will be able to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
            Track should try handicap races.
            Save that for the church picnic, with the sack races and three-legged races.
            If you need a head-start, you're in the wrong sport. Running is elemental. Fastest wins. Golf handicaps are totally bogus.

Comment

60 meter fields
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                Save that for the church picnic, with the sack races and three-legged races.
                If you need a head-start, you're in the wrong sport. Running is elemental. Fastest wins. Golf handicaps are totally bogus.

Indeed....let's keep doing the same....it works so well....

Comment

Originally posted by donley2 View Post
                  60 meter fields

Me like

DeGrasse
                  Oduduru
                  McLeod
                  Bromell
                  Bracy
                  Gemili

T Daniels
                  B Anderson
                  K Harrison
                  G Thomas
                  Okagbare
                  Akinosun

SOMEone has to be ready to blast one.

Comment

The 3/4 Mile record attempt had been set up as a handicap, with the aim of giving Wooderson (off scratch) a whole series of runners to chase down. This practice, that had been used by Cunningham indoors, could potentially be helpful, but it often required the record chaser to run wide round bends when overtaking runners. The same type of handicap was meticulously set up for Wooderson’s Mile record attempt at Motspur Park. The track was measured and found to be a fraction short. So Wooderson started an extra 8.3 inches behind the start line.

Reg Thomas, who had helped Wooderson in Scotland, was again the main pacemaker, starting 10 yards ahead in the handicap. The early pace was too fast as Wooderson passed 440 in 58.6 and 880 in 2:02.6. After another half lap, he had to run on his own and overtake a series of slower handicapped runners. He reached 1320 in 3:07.2, thus needing a sub-60 last lap. Some of the runners ahead moved out to give him the inside lane. Wooderson held his form to the tape, passing his younger brother Stanley, who started 140 yards ahead, in the finishing stretch. He covered his last lap in 59.2, passing 1,500 in 3:50.3, and breaking the Mile world record with 4:06.4. He was just 0.4 of a second faster than Glenn Cunningham’s 1934 mark.

https://www.racingpast.ca/john_contents.php?id=248

Comment

Indeed....let's keep doing the same....it works so well....
                      I am very content with the events as they are, as our the vast majority of T&F fans. Diddling with the format, as was the case with the DL LJ fiasco is a testament to how we can go wrong. Marketability and presentation of the 'show' is where we can improve. I am a fan of the 2-hour 'window' idea.
                      Last edited by Atticus; 01-21-2021, 08:24 PM.

Comment

The group known as track fans is so small that it is barely a thing anymore.

Last edited by Conor Dary; 01-21-2021, 09:28 PM.

Comment

Whilst athletics is not as popular in Europe as it once was, I still (in a non-COVID year) watch meetings every week that have packed stadiums - not just DL meetings but lots of other meetings across Europe. European Championships also have very healthy TV viewing figures across Europe. It think it helps the popularity of the sport over here that many European countries show the DL and major championships on mainstream free-to-air channels.

Is that part of a more simple answer in America - put it on mainstream channels rather than sports channels that only a small percentage of people subscribe to? Or are Americans just too wedded to their team sports that that wouldn't make much difference?

Comment

The group known as track fans is so small that it is barely a thing anymore.
                            If that were true, FloTrack, Runnerspace, Letsrun, not to mention all the meets that we still have, would be out of business. Your gloom-and-doom perspective is unbecoming to a fan site, such as this.

Comment

The percentage of people that are track fans is surely larger than the number for whom it is their favorite sport (which was the table Conor posted). Undoubtedly, the sport is above asterisk status (though maybe not by much). I looked for but did not find a poll that specifically addressed that. One that I found (from 2017) had 67% of respondents identifying as pro football fans, but 75% said they were fans of "Olympic Sports." Of course, many people (most?) are oblivious to track outside of the Olympics (and maybe Olympic Trials).

Gallup-Sports-Fan-Bases-in-US-Oct2017 - Marketing Charts

Comment

Rank-and-file Americans only pay attention to T&F during the Olympics, but DO pay attention then.
                                On the other hand, there is a healthy amount of people who DO follow T&F regularly, as evidenced by NBC Gold, Flotrack and Runnerspace/USATF.TV having for-pay streaming services.
                                Regulars here, at this forum, including the lurkers who do not post, but come on a daily basis, are probably the tip of the iceberg, but the sport is humming along in the USA.
                                The fact that I (representing the most obvious super-fans) am happy with what the sport has to offer, means that we must be doing something right. The plethora of meets being streamed every week (just go to watchathletics.com) is indicative of how good we actually have it.
                                I would never say 'woe is me' about the state of T&F in the USA or the world.
                                As opined once by gh (I think), I don't want T&F to be a mainstream sport, I prefer the niche we're in.
                                When I win the Mega Money Power Ball for half a B, I will produce a 24/7 T&F cable channel, that will bring the live stuff together with current profiles on our stars (sic).

Comment

Working...
                                X