Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by El Toro View Post
    it might get to CBR in an hour or so, which means that it might have passed before the meet starts at 5:15pm.
    I can hear the thunder approaching now. Hopefully two hours is enough to blow those rain-clouds to the coast.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vault-emort View Post
      Entries in this weekend's NSW Championship include (visitors in CAPS):

100 Browning PENNY Andrews Holdsworth Ius Azzopardi
      400 Solomon
      110H Hough Andrews
      HJ Starc Szalek
      JAV McEntyre Stein

100 Quirk Pasternatsky Taddeo Carroll
      400 Oboye O'Grady Rubie BEER Carli LIND Thornton
      100H Jenneke Taddeo Breslin
      HJ McDermott Burnett
      DIS GOLLSHEWSKY LALLY GBR
      JAV Little BELL

Shame that there is still no sight of Dani Stevens or Eleanor Patterson.

In Perth on Friday night, Sasha Zhoya will run in the 100m & 110H.

Entry lists for the Canberra Classic next Thursday are also up featuring:

100 Browning Hale Penny Omuvwie Doran Romanin Holdsworth Bresland Ius Azzopardi OSEI-NKETIA NZL
      400 Solomon Beck Gunn Boulton
      800 Bol Deng Lunn Mathews Riseley Stenson Williamsz
      110H Hough Andrews McCorry Diamond
      400H Fry Proudfoot Collins FRENCH NZL
      HJ Starc Baden Miers Fassinotti
      LJ Frayne Mitrevski Smith Andrews Freyer Branco
      JAV McEntyre O'Brien Lowis

100 Basic Anang Day Mucci Quirk Lane Edwards Fighera
      400 Oboye O'Grady Rubie-Renshaw
      800 Bisset Kaan Thornton-Bott
      1500 Hall Small Stewart
      100H Clay Jones Mucci Beahan Jenneke Taddeo
      400H Boden Klein Cowie
      HJ McDermott Burnett
      LJ McGuire Harper Clark
      JAV Barber Little Bell Mielzcarek Robberts

Hopefully not too many withdrawals as some of these fields look pretty darn good. No heats of the sprints so some of those boys will be running in the B race.

ETA - full lists - https://cdn.revolutionise.com.au/cup...wgmat2kmxd.pdf
      Wow. Little throwing Javelin twice within a week - most high-level javelin throwers don’t throw that frequently. She had what would have been a PB if not four a foot foul in her last outing. I’d hate to see her overdo so early in the season

Comment

• Originally posted by ThrowsMom View Post

Wow. Little throwing Javelin twice within a week - most high-level javelin throwers don’t throw that frequently. She had what would have been a PB if not four a foot foul in her last outing. I’d hate to see her overdo so early in the season
        Well, there's an opportunity to compete against the best and maybe beat her. But anyway, it's not like she's exactly overcompeted and the rest of the domestic season is hardly crowded. Here's her outings since the start of the domestic season

24 Oct 61.42
        19 Dec 60.29
        25 Feb 59.86
        6 Mar 59.96
        11 Mar ??

I know you said "most high-level javelin throwers" but let's look at some relevent periods of Spotakova's 2008 season:

07 JUN 2008
        12 JUN 2008 (5 days later)
        16 JUN 2008 (4)
        21 JUN 2008 (5)
        24 JUN 2008 (3)
        28 JUN 2008 (4)
        04 JUL 2008 (6)

Then the Olympics and then

02 SEP 2008
        05 SEP 2008 (3)

and then one week later 72.28WR.

That's a lot of competitions in short time frames but they didn't really affect her. I wouldn't worry about Little having two with five days, once.

Comment

I can hear the thunder approaching now. Hopefully two hours is enough to blow those rain-clouds to the coast.
          Well, at 4:50 it looks like it will take until afer 6 or maybe 6:30 according to the radar. The front kept building additional clouds behind the original line and increasing the time it would take.

The early events like MHJ, MLJ and WJT will be affected and it wouldn't surprise me to see withdrawals what with athletes being whimpy nowadays. After that it's mostly B races until after 6 when the 110H starts.

Comment

it wouldn't surprise me to see withdrawals what with athletes being whimpy nowadays.
            Yes, I thought that this morning when I was reading an 'On This Day' about Betty Cuthbert breaking the world 440y record today in 1963. In third place was another world-record breaker, Dixie Willis, who had travelled three days by train to get to the meet from Perth and was, unsurprisingly, a bit tired.

ETA - You called it - they already running a combined B/C men's 100 cos of withdrawals...
            Last edited by Vault-emort; 03-11-2021, 05:30 AM.

Comment

• WJT

Mackenzie Little won with a solid 58.43, taking a win over reigning WC, Kelsey-Lee Barber whose strength went everywhere except into the javelin. Barber managed three throws under 50m. The other Mackenzie, of the Mielczarek clan, finished third with 51.92.

MLJ

Excellent result for Chris Mitrevski with a 8.03 0.0 in the 4th round just 2cm below his 2018 PB. Better conditions should let him push well beyond this. Decathlete Alec Diamond jumped an impressive 7,74 +0.2PB for second place ahead of Henry Smith an 8m+ jumper and national champion with 7.60. This improved on Diamond's previous best of 7.65 +0.7 from 2018.

MHJ

Joel Baden took the win over NR holder Brandon Starc, both on 2.19. Italian Marco Fassinotti finished third with 2.15. Starc seemed very keen to head to the bar early, limiting his vertical.

Comment

• M110H

A repeat of the NSW champs on the weekend resulted in the big man Nicholas Hough winning in 13.63 ahead of Nicholas Andrews 13.81 and Jacob McCorry 14.08.

W100H

A close competition with relatively slow times, taken out by Abbie Taddeo 13.33 who got out first and never lost that postion. In second,Celeste Mucci 13.43 (.423) survived a hard collision with flight 5 or 6 just 2 thousandths ahead of Brianna Beahan 13.43 (.425) both of whom were only one hundreth ahead of Hannah Jones 13.44.

M400

The relatively sad state of AUS mens 400m running was exemplified by the results of a supposed premier event with only Alex Beck dipping under 46 with a near PB 45.85. Louis Stenmark cut a lonely figure in the 46s with 46.88 and third place over 47 with Ian Halpin running 47.13.

Comment

• Conditions including a sopping wet track early especially affected field events. But still a few decent marks and quite a few upsets too. Unusually for the 'fastest track in Australia' it was the middle-distance events with most of the better results.

Linden Hall one of the stars with that impressive near-solo 4-02 leading some younger girls into PB territory. Some huge PBs in the men's event too.

Cat Bisset - again without any pace help - ran her season's best, just missing breaking 2 minutes.

Peter Bol was also impressive - with pace assistance - but a heartbreaking 0.03 from Olympic qualifying when he slowed badly in the last few metres.

Good to see Chris Douglas back in the country. Even though Canberra is just a temporary covid base, training with Matty Beckenham can't hurt at all.

Cam McEntyre face-planted one of his javelin attempts (not in the Andrew Currey intentional style) in a disappointing comp for him.

Kudos to all those who started.

100B (0.4) Despard 10.54 Jung 10.55 Roberts 10.65
                  100A (-0.7) Browning 10.34 Hale 10.42 Penney 10.46 Andrews 10.52
                  400 Beck 45.85 Stenmark 46.88
                  800 Bol 1-45.23 Mathas NZL 1-46.01 Micalleff 1-47.00 Riseley 1-47.10
                  1500 Edwards 3-37.30 Palfrey (b03) 3-40.79 Clifford (para) 3-41.34
                  110H (0.3) Hough 13.63 Andrews 13.81 McCorry 14.08
                  400H Douglas 50.12 Proudfoot 51.20 Fry 51.21
                  HJ Baden 2.19m Starc 2.19m
                  LJ Mitrevski 8.03m (0.0) Diamond 7.74m (0.2) Smith 7.60m (0.0)
                  JAV O'Brien 74.81m McEntyre 72.51m

100A (-0.9) Basic 11.48 Day 11.57 Lane 11.61 Cruttenden (b03) 11.62 Anang 11.74
                  400 Blackburn 53.58 Bennett 53.68 Rubie-Renshaw 53.74
                  800 Bisset 2-00.19 Sandford 2-04.27 Macagnini (b02) 2-04.81
                  1500 Hall 4=02.02 Caldwell 4-10.25 Small 4-12.86 Eckel 4-16.53 Stewart 4-17.14
                  100H (0.4) Taddeo 13.33 Mucci 13.43 Beahan 13.43 Jones 13.44
                  400H Boden 57.16 Cowie 59.46
                  HJ McDermott 1.91m Burnett 1.80m
                  LJ McGuire 6.36m (0.0) Harper 6.13m (0.0)
                  JAV Little 58.43m Barber 53.46m Mielczarek 51.92m Bell 51.78m
                  Last edited by Vault-emort; 03-11-2021, 08:41 AM.

Comment

Linden Hall one of the stars with that impressive near-solo 4-02 leading some younger girls into PB territory. Some huge PBs in the men's event too.
                    That's her third fastest time and 7th all time AUS performance and smashes the previous fastest time run in the ACT, the 21 year old record held by Benita Wiliis with 4:08.59.

Originally posted by Vault-emort View Post
                    Cat Bisset - again without any pace help - ran her season's best, just missing breaking 2 minutes.
                    She did her best Tamsyn Manou time-trial-in-competition impersonation to run her third best time behind only her NR and one other sub-2 run to put her time tonight at =28th on the AUS alltime performances list. As Tamsyn noted in her interview, Bisset started her NR year with 2:05s and finshed under 1:59, so where will she end up starting with 2:02 and then 2:00?

Peter Bol was also impressive - with pace assistance - but a heartbreaking 0.03 from Olympic qualifying when he slowed badly in the last few metres.
                    The second best run on a wet track after Peter Bourke's 1:44.7 at the 82 CWG trials in Brisbane. The big difference was Bourke was easing down, Bol was stuffed! But I think he looks good for sub-1:44 later this year.

Good to see Chris Douglas back in the country. Even though Canberra is just a temporary covid base, training with Matty Beckenham can't hurt at all.
                    50.12 opener after two weeks quarantine in a hotel room is pretty impressive.

Kudos to all those who started.
                    And two fingers up to the softcocks that whimped out or got scared of a bit of moisture,

Comment

She did her best Tamsyn Manou time-trial-in-competition impersonation to run her third best time behind only her NR and one other sub-2 run to put her time tonight at =28th on the AUS alltime performances list.
                      I think Cat must be Tamsyn's favourite athlete for those reasons you mention. Although Tamsyn was always pretty huffy about Charlene Rendina ('1-59.0 hand time is not as good as me') and her long-standing NR, she must really admire Bisset being a new-improved version of herself. Cat probably still needs to prove herself tactically in international races though - something Tamsyn often just failed in.

Cat - to me - looked a bit underdone in her first races this year but she and Peter Fortune (why did I ever doubt them?) seem to be right on track for another 2019 or better year.

Comment

And two fingers up to the softcocks that whimped out or got scared of a bit of moisture,
                        Like me, you were probably cheering all those athletes in post-event interviews saying 'yeah conditions weren't great but you can't control it. It could be like this in the Olympic final. You gotta learn from it'.

Good to see some athletes pissed off with their performances - regardless of unhelpful conditions - too.

Comment

• Entry lists for this weekend's Queensland Champs are also up.

http://liveresults.qldathletics.org....MAIN/index.htm

Although a bunch of banana-benders will be competing in the Sydney Classic, there are quite a few notable absentees who won't be competing at SIAC including Ella Connolly.

Also I noticed in Cat's post-race interview with Tamsyn she talked about running again at Sydney in two day's time. She isn't on the entry list but a clash over 800 with Linden Hall and the rest would be great to see.

Having some athletes compete in high-level comps within a couple of days is probably good to practise the OG type qualification/final experience.
                          Last edited by Vault-emort; 03-11-2021, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Like me, you were probably cheering all those athletes in post-event interviews saying 'yeah conditions weren't great but you can't control it. It could be like this in the Olympic final. You gotta learn from it'.

Good to see some athletes pissed off with their performances - regardless of unhelpful conditions - too.
                            Yeah, I spent one particular weekend afternoon in the pouring rain coaching hammer and discus much to the chagrin of the throwers. Didn't bring a towel like I told you to always have just in case? Then you're not allowed to borrow anybody else's. They hated the wet circle, wet gloves, slippery discus etc.

I said no excuses and they eventually and grudgingly accepted that it might have been useful when the state championships were similarly blighted by weather. If it hadn't rained for a while, I might even have turned on the sprinklers for a session, once or twice.

Comment

• parnova.jpg
                              Been looking through some Aussie performances on the world indoor lists. Having not seen her name in any results from Perth this season, I'd assumed Alla had given vaulting away or was injured. I guess this means Alex Parnov & family have moved to Russia after his WAIS dismissal? He would be able to coach back there, no doubt?

Liz obviously chose to stay in Perth training with Budgie etc and I guess Vicky has retired.

Anybody heard anything?

Comment

• The top indoor performers so far this year:

AUSTRALIAN INDOOR RANKINGS - 2021

7.05 Gary Haasbroek

21.98 Chris Douglas

48.32 Chris Douglas

1-45.59 Charlie Hunter
                                1-48.09 Cooper Williams
                                1-49.75 Archie Wallis
                                1-50.27 Hayden Cobbe
                                1-51.25 Angus Beer (b02)