Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aussie Results/News 2021

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Trickstat View Post

    That's a good question. I'm wondering if it's thought that, in a country with such isolated centres of population, having a single, longer meet is considered to be preferable in terms of getting all the best athletes, coaches and officials in one place. For example, if the champs are in Melbourne, someone from Perth who coaches javelin throwers of a variety of ages is more likely to travel across the country for a single multi-day event than travel back and forth for 2 or 3 separate meets. Same for officials from Adelaide, Sydney, Brisbane etc.

    However, you could probably still make it a better TV package, if you have a combined meet that starts with the age group events and has the seniors at the end, say over 2 days of the weekend or Friday evening/Saturday/Sunday.
    Your first suggestion makes sense, as does your second!

    I'll still endeavour to watch the senior events on-demand, armed with the timetable so that I can skip past all the other stuff!

    Comment


    • Originally posted by LuckySpikes View Post
      Why do Australian Athletics have such a crazy, bloated national championships meeting? Surely, they'd have a much better chance of securing live TV coverage if the Senior championships were separate and not fractured like this?
      It used to be just Senior & U20 events in the Nationals. Events for other age groups were held in seperate championships a week or two earlier. Para events have usually been included since they began as it would be hard to run a seperate event for them.

      I think Covid is the main factor in putting everything into this one meet this year Making sure all officials, athletes & coaches, media only have to travel once and if any quarantine is required, it won't be more than one period.

      I think they've given up on TV coverage now. At least we get livestreams of all important meets these days.

      Comment


      • Apologies if this has already been covered but is there any live stream this week?

        Comment


        • Originally posted by nztrackfan View Post
          Apologies if this has already been covered but is there any live stream this week?
          Live streams will be on the Athletics Australia YT Channel.

          Day 1 stream starts here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bpoqriGCz0 in about 40 minutes



          ETA - and results will be at http://athletics.resultshub.com.au/
          Last edited by Vault-emort; 04-12-2021, 03:35 AM.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Vault-emort View Post

            Live streams will be on the Athletics Australia YT Channel.

            Day 1 stream starts here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bpoqriGCz0 in about 40 minutes
            Thank You!

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Vault-emort View Post
              8492 Ashley MOLONEY (00) 2020
              8367 Cedric DUBLER (95) 2020 - 1xpb in 2021
              7901 Daniel GOLUBOVIC (93) 2019 - 3xpb in 2021
              Originally posted by olorin View Post
              All three interesting Australians are competing in the multi-events. Hopping for an AR for Dubler...
              Hey olorin... If you are interested, I'll be tracking these 3 guys for you as we did over at the Spec Towns Deca. I know Dubler is your guy, but you need to tell me the meet goals/targets (final score and/or 10 marks) for each of the 3 guys, so you can see their progress during the meet relative to your 'goals/targets' also. I won't have any commentary, but will update the results after each event (or as often as I can) if you would find it useful. Let me know... Use this link to view...
              https://drive.google.com/file/d/1i0i...QQMPyDiCj/view

              p.s. when does the deca start?

              Add: SB's include the late-December 2020 meet...
              Last edited by miketandf; 04-12-2021, 04:49 AM.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by miketandf View Post

                p.s. when does the deca start?
                9.20am Thursday (Australian Eastern Standard Time) so maybe 4.20pm Wednesday if you were in LA.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Vault-emort View Post

                  It used to be just Senior & U20 events in the Nationals. Events for other age groups were held in seperate championships a week or two earlier. Para events have usually been included since they began as it would be hard to run a seperate event for them.

                  I think Covid is the main factor in putting everything into this one meet this year Making sure all officials, athletes & coaches, media only have to travel once and if any quarantine is required, it won't be more than one period.

                  I think they've given up on TV coverage now. At least we get livestreams of all important meets these days.
                  Vault-emort is right about previously having separate championships but this full week is not just a once off for this year. Some years ago, AA decided to combine all the championships into a blockbuster week to try and maximise press coverage. Any consideration on travel costs was secondary to the promotional focus.

                  The idea being that the press loves young athletes and talking about them being the next Freeman etc, so give them that and then keep them excited later in the week when the actual Freemans et al are competing.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Vault-emort View Post

                    I think they've given up on TV coverage now. At least we get livestreams of all important meets these days.
                    Actually the 7 Network (our Olympic broadcasters) are also streaming the whole Championships via https://7plus.com.au/

                    Comment


                    • I'm glad the weather in Sydney will be warming up for the rest of the Championships. The junior sprinters especially not enjoying the cool conditions.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by miketandf View Post



                        I know Dubler is your guy,
                        Dubler is very active on social media and since I have few young friends that know of my weird interest in decathlon they show me few.
                        He seems like a really nice guy and not full of himself. Additionally, the story of him taking under under his wing Moloney and then the pupil become better than his master is something that belongs to bad Hollywood films not real-life decathlon. I also admire the way he is genially happy for the successes of Moloney.
                        I think that in all likelihood in couple of years time they will not be on the same level. I just want Dubler to have his last moment in the sun (8500+) before Ash is taking over.
                        Not sure if I will be able to follow the decathlon closely, but I hope that your analysis will add to the enjoyment of the small (and very active) Aussie community here.

                        As for your question - I would put both Moloney and Dubler with a target of 8500 and Golubovic at 8100/8150.
                        If you have the time to add West with 6250 it will be great.
                        Last edited by olorin; 04-12-2021, 11:58 AM.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by olorin View Post

                          I just want Dubler to have his last moment in the sun (8500+) before Ash is taking over.
                          I wanted that to happen at the December meet and thought Ash would be too good afterwards. But some of his results in 2021 indicate that Ced may have a chance at beating him here.

                          Comment


                          • To add to our middle-distance congestion this year: (Shame all our guys/gals can't come back for their Nats events this week)

                            10 APRIL - OXFORD (USA)

                            1500 (7th) Anstey 3-39.17

                            10 APRIL - DURHAM (USA)

                            1500 (3rd) Facioni 3-39.87



                            stats courtesy Senor Baronet

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Vault-emort View Post
                              Also bad/sad news that Australia has pulled out of the World Relay champs
                              AA have announced an 'Oceania Relay Carnival' to be held over three weeks (no date but sounds like it will be at the end of the qualifying period) in Queensland to give our Tokyo relay teams a chance to improve/set their qualifying times.

                              I guess AA will pay for a team of NZL & other (FIJ or PNG?) Oceanian sprinters to come over as can't see them running relays at that time otherwise.

                              https://www.theage.com.au/sport/athl...13-p57irl.html

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Vault-emort View Post

                                AA have announced an 'Oceania Relay Carnival' to be held over three weeks (no date but sounds like it will be at the end of the qualifying period) in Queensland to give our Tokyo relay teams a chance to improve/set their qualifying times.

                                I guess AA will pay for a team of NZL & other (FIJ or PNG?) Oceanian sprinters to come over as can't see them running relays at that time otherwise.

                                https://www.theage.com.au/sport/athl...13-p57irl.html
                                Probably a good idea with the AUS/NZL travel bubble but I think only the Cook Islands are also in the bubble (via NZL). All other Oceania athletes would need two weeks quarantine unless the bubble is quickly expanded, not that PNG would be part of that given their disastrous situation.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X