Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Day 9 Evening Sessin Outcomes

WHJ Final

Nicola McDermott was in form and had set two NR of 2.00 and then 2.01. She was one of only 4 athletes over 2m this year, all of whom were competing today and she was one of only three that cleared that height tonight.

In a fascinating competition, many looked good after clearing the 1.95 in qualifying but one extra centimetre in the Finals progression started to cull the jumpers.

Eleanor Patterson was the best Australian to that point with a clean sheet with McDermott behind her with a first attempt miss at that height.

The next height would really start to sort the wheat from the chaff, with only 4 clearing that setting, not including Patterson with 3 failures. Two jumpers passed at this height and proceeded to 1.98, Vashti Cunningham (USA) and Yuliya Levchenko (UKR).

At 1.98, things started to become really clear.

Iryna Gerashchenko(UKR) cleared on 2nd attempt. McDermott cleared first time to go into the lead! Levchenko failed at her 2nd attempt and then passed to 2.00m. Lasitskene, coming back from injury and an XXO at a lowly 1.96, made 1.98 on her second try. Vashti Cunningham passed after 2 failures. Mahuchikh, the young superstar made it on her 3rd attempt and did not look good.

Gerashchenko hit her limit at 2.00 with XXX, whereas McDermott cleared it 1st time to stay in the lead. Levchenko fails at her first attempt and 3rd consecutive, as does Cunningham, so both exit. Lasitskene, who looked like she was close to failure, clears on her 2nd, as does Mahuchikh. Can McDermott actually win this?

The bar goes to 2.02. McDermott cleared 1.98 and 2.00 first time but fails here on first. Lasitskene finds her old form and clears it on 1st go putting her in 1st place. McDermott decides to consolidate and takes a second attempt and succeeds, setting a new NR and AR! Mahuchikh decides she wants the win and passes after her first attempt failure.

There are now 3 at 2.04, McDermott, Lasitskene and Mahuchikh. All fail their first attempt. McDermott fails her 2nd but Lasitskene finds some old form and clears it. Mahuchikh fails her 2nd attempt but 3rd consecutive after her fail at 2.02.

Outcome

That's it. The places are Lasitskene 2.04 SB, McDermott 2.02 AR and Mahuchikh 2.00 SU (Season's Underperformance).

McDermot takes the second silver for an AUS women's HJer after Michelle Mason-Brown's scissors in Tokyo 1964.

How did I do?

I said McDermott would need to jump to her best if she wants to grab a minor medal. She increased her best by 1cm and got a minor medal, a sort-of-unexpected silver. If nobody had cleared 2.04, she would be the gold meallist. How do you solve a problem like Mariya? I bet she sings in the abbey!

I said Eleanor Patterson was on a roll and should be good for high 1.90s but I can't see a medal. She had a very clean sheet and = her SB of 1.96 to finish 5th.

I said Yaroslava Mahuchikh (UKR) had the gold medal to lose, and she did. I said Lasitskene had a high chance to fail and early on it looked to be coming true but she pulled out the class performer doll, stroked it lovingly, and then magicked another gold medal in a SB.

I thought Vashti Cunningham (USA) was just happy with a 1.96 at the USA trials and would peak here but, no, that was her year's limit. I said she wasn't a regular 2m jumper like Lasitskene and Mahuchikh and she definitely proved that again today.

I said that my prediction was McDermott to finish 2-4, Patterson 4-5 and McDermott finished 2nd and Patterson finished 5th. Mock me all you like on this one.

M1500 Final

Stewart McSweyn finished finished 7th in 3:31.91 in the fastest OG 1500 ever.

Ollie Hoare finished 11th in 3:35.79.

I said that McSweyn was 3 seconds faster on paper than his team mate but I didn't think it would make much difference here. However, McSweyn finished nearly 4s ahead of Hoare. Stupid dumb El Toro! Stupid, stupid, stupid!

Ollie Hoare impressed me in the semi-final and made me think he had the potential to pass McSweyn off a slow pace. Sadly, or not, the pace was fast, especially compared to the high school heroics of Rio16, and Hoare faded over the last 600m.

I said Cheryiout and Ingebrigtsen seemed likely to be 1/2 in either order, and the either order ended up being JI and TC.

I said both to end up between 3rd and 7th in either order but only McSweyn finished 7th with Hoare in 11th, still a 4 place range. Normally I'd be cursing Ollie Hoare as a baaaaarrrrrstaaaaard for ruining my predictions but not when his OG results sit on his alltime list as Ht 10th, SF 5th and Final 9th. How good is that? (and I bet he can hold a hose, too)

Comment

• Day 10 Morning Session Preview

MMarathon 0700 JST / 0800 AEST

A full complement here with Liam Adams (2:10:48 PB), Brett Robinson (2:10:55) and Jack Rayner (2:11:06) due to start.

Conveniently, the three decided to locate themselves within a single WA web page from the bottom of the Marathon PB list, making it easy for me to type out their bests. Cheers guys!

This hot and sweaty war of attrition will throw up some surprising outcomes with Scorpios revelling in their moon phase with Tauruses giving up completely and not bothering anymore....

Comment

• Not a bad Games at all for Australia. Three medals is probably as much as anyone could have hoped for. Most medal predictions (including T&FN) forecast one or zero medals for Australia.

Interestingly on the IAAF's 'placing table' - counting top eight positions as well as medals - Australia sits in tenth place above countries like Italy which won 5 Gold.

Comment

• Also heartening to see the viewing figures for the Olympics.

Despite Ch7 often focussing on team sports instead of a complete athletics broadcast, nine of the top-ten rated events during the entire coverage were athletics. Events including the 100m Hurdles heat & Rohan Browning's 100m heat out-rated Australia's golden events in the pool.

Only the Hockey final, besides track and field events, made it to the top ten.

These figures came before last night's broadcasts, so I have no doubt the W HJ & M 1500 would have claimed a top ten rating as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vault-emort View Post
            Not a bad Games at all for Australia. Three medals is probably as much as anyone could have hoped for. Most medal predictions (including T&FN) forecast one or zero medals for Australia.

Interestingly on the IAAF's 'placing table' - counting top eight positions as well as medals - Australia sits in tenth place above countries like Italy which won 5 Gold.
            Big brother did awesome, currently 6th on the medal table with 17G, 7S, 22B.
            Little brother doing oK as well, 11th on the medal table with 7G, 6S, 7B.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tuariki View Post
              Little brother doing oK as well, 11th on the medal table with 7G, 6S, 7B.
              Yes, a good result for the Kiwis. And unlike the 80s, Aussie's can't say you lot are only good at sports where you are sitting down or going backwards.

And I feel sorry for athletes like Peeters, Hobbs & even Nketia who probably deserved a start in the Games.

Comment

Also heartening to see the viewing figures for the Olympics.

Despite Ch7 often focussing on team sports instead of a complete athletics broadcast, nine of the top-ten rated events during the entire coverage were athletics. Events including the 100m Hurdles heat & Rohan Browning's 100m heat out-rated Australia's golden events in the pool.

Only the Hockey final, besides track and field events, made it to the top ten.

These figures came before last night's broadcasts, so I have no doubt the W HJ & M 1500 would have claimed a top ten rating as well.
                Where are you seeing these ratings?

Comment

• Originally posted by rhizobium View Post

Where are you seeing these ratings?
                  I saw them on twitter, a screen shot of a page from the Herald-Sun of August 8.

TV_ratings.jpg

Comment

I saw them on twitter, a screen shot of a page from the Herald-Sun of August 8.

TV_ratings.jpg
                    The viewership of the swimming semis and finals was sabotaged by NBC's insistence they happen in the morning and you just know the AOC will fight against that happening again in 2032.

Comment

• Originally posted by rhizobium View Post

you just know the AOC will fight against that happening again in 2032.
                      IOC + NBC beats AOC hands-down

Comment

IOC + NBC beats AOC hands-down
                        Sadly you're probably right.

Comment

• WA produce a "Placings Table" for each championship and scores the top 8 places on a reverse basis - 1st =8pts, 8th=1pt.

https://www.worldathletics.org/compe...1/placingtable

Here's a table of Australia's team score and national placing over the last 21 years.

Year WAPoints WAPlace
                          2021 52 10
                          2016 34 11
                          2012 30 13
                          2008 42 12
                          2004 35 15
                          2000 57 10

Comment

• I went to the WA results site by country page and found that Stewart McSweyn didn't actually compete in the 1500 final and only one runner in the marathon. Very strange indeed. There's no additional scroll available and I resorted on column headings but there remained just the three entries. Does anybody else the same result?

McSweynMystery.JPG

[edit to add paragraph on Kenya] Just checked Kenya and they have only three entries, with only 1 in the 1500 final and one in the marathon, and not even the winner. Cherono gets the 4th place listing but Kipchoge is not there.

Last edited by El Toro; 08-08-2021, 09:12 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by El Toro View Post
                              Does anybody else the same result?
                              I believe the solution is to re-start your device and then try again tomorrow.

Comment

• Someone we know reveals Olympic star Peter Bol has received the staggering sum of $5000 funding over the past six years..

https://www.watoday.com.au/culture/c...03-p58fi7.html

Comment

Working...
                                X