Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ruby Smee takes second in the Western Regional NCAA Division 1 Cross Country meet.

Comment

• An interview-lite with multi-careered Nova Peris in The Brisbane Times.

It mentions a statue of her unveiled earlier this year. This had passed me by but I found a picture right here.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vault-emort View Post
        The CG/WC scheduling shouldn't be too much of an issue for short sprinters but it will be interesting to see the decisions made by others, especially those for whom doubling will be nearly impossible.

Will Ash Moloney do the Dec at WC and perhaps restrict himself to relay duties at CG? Maybe he would still enter CG Dec in case of any accidents/NMs in the WC?
        Ashton Eaton weights in with some Highlander-style advice for Moloney - there can be only one, young Ashley:

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/spo...18-p599xp.html

Comment

• Peter Bol switches his running shoes for chef whites

The 800m runner is switching his running shoes for chef whites as he teams up with local Perth restaurants to recreate his favourite dish - Peter Bol-ognaise - as part of Deliveroo’s new expansion across the city.

https://www.perthnow.com.au/entertai...ites-c-4604689

Comment

• I look forward to Ellie Beer-battered Barramundi and Kelsey-Lee Barber-cued Chicken appearing on the menu in other cities..

Comment

• Good to see Ella Connolly appears to be fit to compete again. She ran the last leg on the winning 4x1 & 4x4 teams at the Qld relay champs today.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vault-emort View Post
                I look forward to Ellie Beer-battered Barramundi and Kelsey-Lee Barber-cued Chicken appearing on the menu in other cities..
                Or the simple vintage option of a Raelene Boyle-d egg?

Comment

• Two Aussie gents in top 20 at NCAA XC:

9. Haftu Strintzos 19. Zach Facioni

Lauren Ryan first Aussie woman in 26th, with Ruby Smee 34th
                  Last edited by AS; 11-21-2021, 04:50 AM.

Comment

• Today's the 65th anniversary of the Ron Clarke ritual hand burning ceremony. The things athletes did to toughen themselve up in the old days...

As for the AUS 56 team, there are still quite a few members alive. By my quick count, it's 18 of 55 men (33%) and 14 of 21 women (67%). Some of the younger women were born late '30s so there's a chance some should still be going by Brisbane 2032. The men? Well, most are turning 90 in the next few years, so it seems unlikely.

Comment

• Amazing Clarke survived as well as he did carrying that torch.

Comment

• Originally posted by AS View Post
                        Two Aussie gents in top 20 at NCAA XC:

9. Haftu Strintzos 19. Zach Facioni

Lauren Ryan first Aussie woman in 26th, with Ruby Smee 34th
                        All four named to the All-American men's and women's teams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
                          Amazing Clarke survived as well as he did carrying that torch.
                          And after his torch-carrying duties were over, he caught a tram home.

Comment

• The next morning young Ron appeared on (new) television but then rushed to the MCG with his girlfriend Helen who had made sandwiches for their lunch.

He said he felt 'even more airborne than yesterday' watching the Australian athletes compete. Although he had promised to be back at his Essendon home for tea at 7pm, he didn't make it. 'I couldn't let Chilla Porter fight out the High Jump with Dumas on his own'.

Comment

• The AFL Draft kicks off tonight (that's Aussie Rules football), and one of the expected early first round picks is the son of a Commonwealth Games 400m rep (Brett Callaghan):
                              https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...22-p59aze.html

Will be following in footsteps of a draftee from last year of comparable heritage (Lee Naylor's son): https://www.afl.com.au/news/575378/g...-easter-monday

Holmes won a national U18 400mH title: https://worldathletics.org/athletes/...olmes-14922819

Seems Callaghan only ran school aths. Found these results from ACC this year: 100m: 11.34, 400m: 51.84 and plus winning 4*1 and4*4 teams (the latter missed his dad's comp record by 4.5s and featured another likely draft 1st rounder Blake Howes). Brett still holds U19 400m record in said schools comp at 47.55. (I have an interest as I went to high school with Brett - one of the few boys i've seen very competently two stride in 100mH hurdles as a junior).

Comment

• Max Holmes will not only be avoiding his mother's sporting footsteps, he probably won't be gaining a PhD anytime soon. Lee Naylor who, along with her twin, turned 50 this year, has been working in the mental health field since retiring from athletics. She gained her doctorate in neurochemistry, focusing on mental illness, while training as an elite athlete and representing AUS.

I'm not sure the AFL is the most conducive environment for Max to match that sort of academic achievement but who knows?

Max is also related to former AUS 100m champion, Shane Naylor, who is Lee's brother. He started powerlifting after leaving sprinting and ended up squatting and deadlifting 300kg plus and 190kg bench press without any supporting aids.

All in all, a pretty talented sporting family.

Comment

Working...
                                X