Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not many 19yos get PhDs so you'll probably be right for the next decade at least

Comment

• Originally posted by AS View Post
      Not many 19yos get PhDs so you'll probably be right for the next decade at least
      Well, obviously, but is there any indication that he will be doing the necessary work in parallel with his football career like his mother did with athletics? Has any AFL footballer done that? I know they pay lip service to developing balanced individuals but what's the reality?

Comment

• Originally posted by El Toro View Post

Well, obviously, but is there any indication that he will be doing the necessary work in parallel with his football career like his mother did with athletics? Has any AFL footballer done that? I know they pay lip service to developing balanced individuals but what's the reality?
        Well some footy players manage it. Thinking of Doctor Matthew Liptak (Adelaide Crows) for one.

The AFL Players Association awards grants for players looking to attain a masters or other professional qualifications.

But anyway, talking about potential aths reps lost to football codes leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vault-emort View Post
          But anyway, talking about potential aths reps lost to football codes leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
          Don't check out the results from the Vic Associated Public Schools from past few years then. Events like HJ and 800m read like the Draft top 30.

Comment

The AFL Players Association awards grants for players looking to attain a masters or other professional qualifications.
            I regularly have 5+ AFL players in my undergraduate subjects (in a course with an ATAR in mid 90s). Given how many students come out of elite schools these days, a big chunk are slowly working their way through higher end degrees while pulling down a couple of hundred grand a year. Tough life. But also low stress students.

Comment

...Given how many students come out of elite schools these days,...
              Interesting. At the risk of ruining V-e's dinner, I have to ask if they traditional students or football scholarship students, if that's even a thing in VIC?

In Rugby Union states, there are now a lot more "lower class" scholarship boys playing but of course they don't get a cushy job in daddy's brokerage firm...

Comment

• *la la la* (blocking out discussions about football codes stealing athletes..)

While most of our remaining athletes haven't come out to play yet, tomorrow's 100m & 200m races in Brisbane look interesting.

21yo Ella Connolly -11.21w, 22.96
                21yo Kristie Edwards -11.66, 23.17
                16yo Torrie Lewis - 11.45w/11.55, 23.38

In decent conditions, Connolly's legal pb of 11.63 should be history and Edwards looks to be in form for a lifetime best too.

Connolly hasn't competed in an individual race since January where she set her above PBs. Edwards (200m) & Lewis (windy 100m & 400m) have both run PBs in recent weeks.

The men's 200 (inc Hartmann, Branco, Beck, Diffey, Law, Wong) could see some PBs too.
                Last edited by Vault-emort; 11-26-2021, 04:51 AM.

Comment

Don't check out the results from the Vic Associated Public Schools from past few years then.
                  I get enough bad news from social media...

peris_skfc.jpg

Comment

• PERTH - 26 NOV
                    200 (0.8) Dodds (b06) 23.91
                    800 Phillipe 2-04.64x

BRISBANE - 27 NOV
                    100 (-0.6) Wong (b04) 10.66 Hartman 10.70 Rucker 10.70 Law (b03) 10.71 Beck 10.71 Clare (b02) 10.74

100 (1.3) Connolly 11.50 Edwards 11.55 Lewis (b05) 11.61

Not a fast men's 100 in Brisvegas but a compact one. 100m PBs for Connolly & Edwards but not as quick as might have been expected. Weather not ideal in Brissie today.

Comment

• BRISBANE - 27 NOV
                      200 (-0.8) Diffey 20.98 Beck 21.02 Branco 21.12 Rucker 21.28 Wong 21.38 Law 21.46

200 (0.3) Connolly 23.49 Edwards 23.50 Lewis 23.67

ADELAIDE - 27 NOV
                      200 (2.0) Murphy 20.64

18yo Aidan - son of Tania - strikes again. (AR U20 is 20.48 from Fred Martin in 1985, AR U18 is 20.90. Aidan turned 18 just a month back)

No results from Victoria as AV results hub is a user-unfriendly PITA - grrrrr...
                      Last edited by Vault-emort; 11-27-2021, 07:47 AM.

Comment

• https://twitter.com/i/status/1464504226894147585
                        Last edited by Vault-emort; 11-27-2021, 08:59 AM.

Comment

ADELAIDE - 27 NOV
                          200 (2.0) Murphy 20.64

18yo Aidan - son of Tania - strikes again. (AR U20 is 20.48 from Fred Martin in 1985, AR U18 is 20.90. Aidan turned 18 just a month back)
                          The year Fred turned 18 he did compete in the OGs (LA), so Murphy missed out there. Sadly, that 20.48 +0.5 at age 19 remained his lifetime best due to injury if I remember correctly, which I mightn't. I think Fred had hearing issues, so his 200 was much better than his 100.

Like Fred, Murphy looked like a man among boys in that video you posted. Hopefully, he has more years of progress and avoids junior times as PBs.

Also, am I right in assuming that coach Peter Fitzgerald is the 1976 Olympian? Sadly, he was another athlete brought low too early by injury.

Originally posted by Vault-emort View Post
                          No results from Victoria as AV results hub is a user-unfriendly PITA - grrrrr...
                          Didn't we agree that the design was all AS's fault? I think that's fair, because who else is there to carry the burden?

Comment

• Originally posted by El Toro View Post

The year Fred turned 18 he did compete in the OGs (LA), so Murphy missed out there. Sadly, that 20.48 +0.5 at age 19 remained his lifetime best due to injury if I remember correctly, which I mightn't. I think Fred had hearing issues, so his 200 was much better than his 100.
                            Yes Fred had deafness issues, but not sure that was why he was in a wilderness from 85-89 - I think he came back for Comm Games in early 90.

Originally posted by El Toro View Post

Like Fred, Murphy looked like a man among boys in that video you posted. Hopefully, he has more years of progress and avoids junior times as PBs.
                            Well, his Mum was pretty good from her teen years though she certainly had injury issues for a while. Hopefully as well as Mum's fast-twitch stuff he has some Dad genes to help protect him.

Didn't we agree that the design was all AS's fault? I think that's fair, because who else is there to carry the burden?
                            I remember AS & I both had write-ups in the paper back in the 90s as 'best athletics websites'. Sadly the Aths Vic website would not even make that 90s standard 25 years later.

Also, am I right in assuming that coach Peter Fitzgerald is the 1976 Olympian? Sadly, he was another athlete brought low too early by injury.
                            I think he is the sprinter who showed his arse to Victorian officials in the mid-70s. He used to do track announcing/post-race interviews when SA had some decent meets in the 90s at *sob* Olympic Sports Field. He probably got wiser with age and cleared out of Melbourne,

Comment

Yes Fred had deafness issues, but not sure that was why he was in a wilderness from 85-89 - I think he came back for Comm Games in early 90.
                              He was also vision impaired with the combo being described by Jim Webster in the Sun Herald as, "being about 80 per cent deaf and 40 per cent blind."

I remembered he had some vision issue and wore tinted glasses, so I thought is was just a glare issue, I didn't think he was that restricted. I'm not sure if the eyesight issue was bad enough to fit into the visually impaired category then or now.

The deafness was sufficiently bad that he attended deaf schools as a youngster but he could converse with a hearing aid. He was eligible for deaf sports but wasn't interested, like Dean Smith.

That Jim Webster article (7 Dec 1986) can be read via ancient Google Newspapers . Don't be confused by the page being titled as SMH, it's definitely Sun Herald.

Webster mentions the injury at the '84 OG and the hamstring tear in the final stages of the 1985 National champs. There's more gruesome details in the Crimes Headlong crash to victory and further detail on the long road to recovery a year later Martin's recovery will be no sprint.

He never did get back to where he was in '85 though he did make the 1990 CWG as a relay runner.

He appears to be coaching because Will Roberts, one of his athletes was named in the AA relay group this year:

https://www.athletics.com.au/news/20...ure-announced/

Comment

• Martin wasn't the only good runner around in Sydney at that time.

Photo of, L to R, Fred Martin (b.1966), Darren Clarke (b.1965) and Miles Murphy (b.1967) at Hensley field in early 1980s before all going on to become Olympians. https://media.gettyimages.com/photos...88?s=2048x2048

Comment

Working...
                                X