Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by El Toro View Post
    Martin wasn't the only good runner around in Sydney at that time.
    A very solid 4x200 squad with someone like Clayton Kearney to make up the team.

Comment

• Murphy looks tall in images but not overly developed for someone his age and you're right he's following his mum with a solid junior career but looks to have solid natural form and grown up in Australia where his mum didn't benefit from the same.

If only his mum hadn't stepped on the lane line in 98 trials I think she would have taken the 200m in KL...

I'm also like to run 20.0 as a senior you've probably got to be at his times now to be in with a chance as maturing and training will only get anyone so far. There are always outliers but good US, UK, Caribbean juniors would be in that territory or better.

Comment

• More from the weekend:

ADELAIDE - 27 NOV - STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS
        5000 Clarke 13-40.39 Heyne 13-44.66 Stevens 13-51.02
        5000 Batt-Doyle 15-41.29 Adams 15-49.42 Stenson 15-52.79

GEELONG - 27 NOV
        100m (3.4) Romanin 10.37
        200m h1 (3.6) Romanin 21.21

100m (5.0) Mucci 11.39

ILLAWONG - 27 NOV
        100 (3.7) Roberts 10.27

100 (1.5) Quirk 11.59 Stoilova (b05) 11.72
        200 (0.8) Carroll 23.95

Comment

• And here's a Fred Martin story in lead up to LA 84:

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1984/08...4738460353600/

'I'm 96 percent deaf in my left ear and 84 percent deaf in my right.'

'And if I take off my glasses, I can hardly see 10 yards in front of me.'

Comment

• Originally posted by AS View Post
            And here's a Fred Martin story in lead up to LA 84:

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1984/08...4738460353600/

'I'm 96 percent deaf in my left ear and 84 percent deaf in my right.'

'And if I take off my glasses, I can hardly see 10 yards in front of me.'
            That sounds like he may have been eligible for T13 category (T11 needs guide, T13 is least disadvantaged but still severe loss). It's hard to say with generic descriptions because there are specific tests required according to Paralympics Australia:

Athletes who have low vision in both eyes, but more vision than T/F 12 athletes. Vision is affected either in how far they can see (visual acuity <6/60; LogMAR 1-1.4 inclusive) or how wide they can see (visual field < 40 degrees diameter). Athletes are not eligible to use a guide.
            For interest, the WR for T13 is 21.05 (-0.3 m/s) by Jason Smyth (IRE) at the 2012 Paralympics. The Oceania record is 21.82 +1.5 by Aussie Chad Perris in 2015. Paralympics Australia says Chad's eyesight is "..somewhere between five and eight per cent vision..".

Comment

• Originally posted by Vault-emort View Post
              I think he[Peter Fitzgerald] is the sprinter who showed his arse to Victorian officials in the mid-70s. He used to do track announcing/post-race interviews when SA had some decent meets in the 90s at *sob* Olympic Sports Field. He probably got wiser with age and cleared out of Melbourne,
              That was not something that I recalled at all, so I went looking for it. Sounds like a response to some narkiness from the late, great Rick Mitchell and others in the race.

The Canberra Times via Trove comes through again, Runner Bares Bottom. Typical South Australian on the loose! 😛😛

Comment

Sounds like a response to some narkiness from the late, great Rick Mitchell and others in the race.
                Australasian Athletics published a photo (very lairy 70s jocks) and in their article said something like 'Fitzgerald had no reason to show competitors his backside as most of them have spent the season looking at it'.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vault-emort View Post

I get enough bad news from social media...
                  Not necessarily bad news but another Olympian's daughter plays hockey:

https://www.facebook.com/mentonehc/p...7142834311227/

https://www.facebook.com/hockeyvicto...8884779883608/

Comment

• I didn't realise Fitzgerald had moved to South Australia. He was Melbourne-based certainly through the 2000s. He coached Morgan Mitchell for a bit, and worked for a law practice in Collins St - he wrote AA's selection policy, ironically. He also was pretty involved in selection dispute arbitration around the time of the Sydney Olympics (as I seem to remember him speaking to us at a Mentone Aths Club function about it around that time - one of the first times I can recall seeing him at the club he'd run for as a junior - back in his St Bedes days to loop this back to the discussion of Brett Callaghan above). I'm guessing he might be retired from the law now, so maybe he's gone the winery path...

Comment

Not necessarily bad news but another Olympian's daughter plays hockey:
                      Whose daughter? Debbie & Phil?

Comment

• Yeah, the 1988 Olympic 400 hurdles champion's daughter. Apparently Teisha also used to be a lifesaver on the Portsea back beaches, where Herb Elliott once saved Percy from drowning. Sadly, Teisha never sighted any Chinese subs or missing PMs...

Comment

• I was googling a bit before.

There is a chance the Peter Fitzgerald who coaches Aidan Murphy is not the ex-Victorian sprinter.

I found a FB page for one where the main athlete featured is former SA teen sprint champion Lucy Fitzgerald (presumably his daughter?) who ran 11.96w/12.04 & 24.63 as a 16yo in 2013.

Comment

• From the front page news articles, quite a few Aussies headed for US colleges soon with Izzy Thornton-Bott likely to be one of the rising stars to watch.

400/800
                            Rose Pittman

800/1500
                            Izzy Thornton-Bott
                            Gigi Maccagnini
                            Tekare Aimer
                            Imogen Gardiner
                            Georgie Purcell

SC
                            Nikita Moore

SP/DIS
                            LyVante Su’emai

MULTI
                            Tahlee McVee

Adam Spencer
                            Angus Beer

Comment

• Is Keely Small still going to Oregon?

Comment

• Originally posted by rhizobium View Post
                                Is Keely Small still going to Oregon?
                                I initially thought she would be there this year and run cross country but it seems she is starting early next year, so probably northern outdoors will be her first competitive appearance.

Comment

Working...
                                X