X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vault-emort
    replied
    I was googling a bit before.

There is a chance the Peter Fitzgerald who coaches Aidan Murphy is not the ex-Victorian sprinter.

I found a FB page for one where the main athlete featured is former SA teen sprint champion Lucy Fitzgerald (presumably his daughter?) who ran 11.96w/12.04 & 24.63 as a 16yo in 2013.

Leave a comment:

• El Toro
    replied
    Yeah, the 1988 Olympic 400 hurdles champion's daughter. Apparently Teisha also used to be a lifesaver on the Portsea back beaches, where Herb Elliott once saved Percy from drowning. Sadly, Teisha never sighted any Chinese subs or missing PMs...

Leave a comment:

• Vault-emort
    replied
    Originally posted by El Toro View Post

Not necessarily bad news but another Olympian's daughter plays hockey:
    Whose daughter? Debbie & Phil?

Leave a comment:

• AS
    replied
    I didn't realise Fitzgerald had moved to South Australia. He was Melbourne-based certainly through the 2000s. He coached Morgan Mitchell for a bit, and worked for a law practice in Collins St - he wrote AA's selection policy, ironically. He also was pretty involved in selection dispute arbitration around the time of the Sydney Olympics (as I seem to remember him speaking to us at a Mentone Aths Club function about it around that time - one of the first times I can recall seeing him at the club he'd run for as a junior - back in his St Bedes days to loop this back to the discussion of Brett Callaghan above). I'm guessing he might be retired from the law now, so maybe he's gone the winery path...

Leave a comment:

• El Toro
    replied
    Originally posted by Vault-emort View Post

I get enough bad news from social media...
    Not necessarily bad news but another Olympian's daughter plays hockey:

https://www.facebook.com/mentonehc/p...7142834311227/

https://www.facebook.com/hockeyvicto...8884779883608/

Leave a comment:

• Vault-emort
    replied

Sounds like a response to some narkiness from the late, great Rick Mitchell and others in the race.
    Australasian Athletics published a photo (very lairy 70s jocks) and in their article said something like 'Fitzgerald had no reason to show competitors his backside as most of them have spent the season looking at it'.

Leave a comment:

• El Toro
    replied
    I think he[Peter Fitzgerald] is the sprinter who showed his arse to Victorian officials in the mid-70s. He used to do track announcing/post-race interviews when SA had some decent meets in the 90s at *sob* Olympic Sports Field. He probably got wiser with age and cleared out of Melbourne,
    That was not something that I recalled at all, so I went looking for it. Sounds like a response to some narkiness from the late, great Rick Mitchell and others in the race.

The Canberra Times via Trove comes through again, Runner Bares Bottom. Typical South Australian on the loose! 😛😛

Leave a comment:

• El Toro
    replied
    Originally posted by AS View Post
    And here's a Fred Martin story in lead up to LA 84:

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1984/08...4738460353600/

'I'm 96 percent deaf in my left ear and 84 percent deaf in my right.'

'And if I take off my glasses, I can hardly see 10 yards in front of me.'
    That sounds like he may have been eligible for T13 category (T11 needs guide, T13 is least disadvantaged but still severe loss). It's hard to say with generic descriptions because there are specific tests required according to Paralympics Australia:

Athletes who have low vision in both eyes, but more vision than T/F 12 athletes. Vision is affected either in how far they can see (visual acuity <6/60; LogMAR 1-1.4 inclusive) or how wide they can see (visual field < 40 degrees diameter). Athletes are not eligible to use a guide.
    For interest, the WR for T13 is 21.05 (-0.3 m/s) by Jason Smyth (IRE) at the 2012 Paralympics. The Oceania record is 21.82 +1.5 by Aussie Chad Perris in 2015. Paralympics Australia says Chad's eyesight is "..somewhere between five and eight per cent vision..".

Leave a comment:

• AS
    replied
    And here's a Fred Martin story in lead up to LA 84:

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1984/08...4738460353600/

'I'm 96 percent deaf in my left ear and 84 percent deaf in my right.'

'And if I take off my glasses, I can hardly see 10 yards in front of me.'

Leave a comment:

• Vault-emort
    replied
    More from the weekend:

ADELAIDE - 27 NOV - STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS
    5000 Clarke 13-40.39 Heyne 13-44.66 Stevens 13-51.02
    5000 Batt-Doyle 15-41.29 Adams 15-49.42 Stenson 15-52.79

GEELONG - 27 NOV
    100m (3.4) Romanin 10.37
    200m h1 (3.6) Romanin 21.21

100m (5.0) Mucci 11.39

ILLAWONG - 27 NOV
    100 (3.7) Roberts 10.27

100 (1.5) Quirk 11.59 Stoilova (b05) 11.72
    200 (0.8) Carroll 23.95

Leave a comment:

• Speedster
    replied
    Murphy looks tall in images but not overly developed for someone his age and you're right he's following his mum with a solid junior career but looks to have solid natural form and grown up in Australia where his mum didn't benefit from the same.

If only his mum hadn't stepped on the lane line in 98 trials I think she would have taken the 200m in KL...

I'm also like to run 20.0 as a senior you've probably got to be at his times now to be in with a chance as maturing and training will only get anyone so far. There are always outliers but good US, UK, Caribbean juniors would be in that territory or better.

Leave a comment:

• Vault-emort
    replied
    Martin wasn't the only good runner around in Sydney at that time.
    A very solid 4x200 squad with someone like Clayton Kearney to make up the team.

Leave a comment:

• El Toro
    replied
    Martin wasn't the only good runner around in Sydney at that time.

Photo of, L to R, Fred Martin (b.1966), Darren Clarke (b.1965) and Miles Murphy (b.1967) at Hensley field in early 1980s before all going on to become Olympians. https://media.gettyimages.com/photos...88?s=2048x2048

Leave a comment:

• El Toro
    replied
    Yes Fred had deafness issues, but not sure that was why he was in a wilderness from 85-89 - I think he came back for Comm Games in early 90.
    He was also vision impaired with the combo being described by Jim Webster in the Sun Herald as, "being about 80 per cent deaf and 40 per cent blind."

I remembered he had some vision issue and wore tinted glasses, so I thought is was just a glare issue, I didn't think he was that restricted. I'm not sure if the eyesight issue was bad enough to fit into the visually impaired category then or now.

The deafness was sufficiently bad that he attended deaf schools as a youngster but he could converse with a hearing aid. He was eligible for deaf sports but wasn't interested, like Dean Smith.

That Jim Webster article (7 Dec 1986) can be read via ancient Google Newspapers . Don't be confused by the page being titled as SMH, it's definitely Sun Herald.

Webster mentions the injury at the '84 OG and the hamstring tear in the final stages of the 1985 National champs. There's more gruesome details in the Crimes Headlong crash to victory and further detail on the long road to recovery a year later Martin's recovery will be no sprint.

He never did get back to where he was in '85 though he did make the 1990 CWG as a relay runner.

He appears to be coaching because Will Roberts, one of his athletes was named in the AA relay group this year:

https://www.athletics.com.au/news/20...ure-announced/

Leave a comment:

• Vault-emort
    replied

The year Fred turned 18 he did compete in the OGs (LA), so Murphy missed out there. Sadly, that 20.48 +0.5 at age 19 remained his lifetime best due to injury if I remember correctly, which I mightn't. I think Fred had hearing issues, so his 200 was much better than his 100.
    Yes Fred had deafness issues, but not sure that was why he was in a wilderness from 85-89 - I think he came back for Comm Games in early 90.

Like Fred, Murphy looked like a man among boys in that video you posted. Hopefully, he has more years of progress and avoids junior times as PBs.
    Well, his Mum was pretty good from her teen years though she certainly had injury issues for a while. Hopefully as well as Mum's fast-twitch stuff he has some Dad genes to help protect him.

Didn't we agree that the design was all AS's fault? I think that's fair, because who else is there to carry the burden?
    I remember AS & I both had write-ups in the paper back in the 90s as 'best athletics websites'. Sadly the Aths Vic website would not even make that 90s standard 25 years later.

Also, am I right in assuming that coach Peter Fitzgerald is the 1976 Olympian? Sadly, he was another athlete brought low too early by injury.
    I think he is the sprinter who showed his arse to Victorian officials in the mid-70s. He used to do track announcing/post-race interviews when SA had some decent meets in the 90s at *sob* Olympic Sports Field. He probably got wiser with age and cleared out of Melbourne,

Leave a comment:

Working...
X