Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by gm View Post
    Sidorova WL 4.90 in Moscow
    The Russians are coming! The Russians are coming!
    R Championships:

1 Anzhelika Sidorova 4.90
    2 Polina Knoroz 4.70
    3 Irina Ivanova 4.70

Comment

• And going nowhere apparently.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atticus View Post
        R Championships:

2 Polina Knoroz 4.70
        3 Irina Ivanova 4.70
        not Russian Champs; that's a subsequent meet

Comment

R Championships:

2 Polina Knoroz 4.70
          3 Irina Ivanova 4.70
          Knoroz's mother Anna placed 3rd at the 1994 Euro champs in the 400 hurdles and made semis at WCs and the 1996 OG, best 54.11 from 1994 (Goodwill Games IIRC). Her father Aleksey ran 10.29 for 100 in 1990, close to but not quite making Soviet/Russian 4x1 teams.

Comment

• Originally posted by dupontred View Post
            And going nowhere apparently.
            They have been cleared to represent the "IOC".

Comment

• Originally posted by Atticus
              Bol will be in the 400H, as the bronze fave.
              Whoops, I think S Little just said, 'not so fast' with her 50.57 today.
              Now we have 2 for the Gold and 2 for the Bronze.

Comment

Whoops, I think S Little just said, 'not so fast' with her 50.57 today.
                Now we have 2 for the Gold and 2 for the Bronze.
                Maybe! First, Little has to make the team, and those US Trials are notoriously difficult. She was 4th in the nationals in 2019 and pushed out the team for Doha don't forget. I would also like to see her hurdling form this summer before I commit. Like many US women she didn't get to hurdle in competition at all in 2020. Overall she takes the hurdles much more closely than Bol, with less time in the air, which is great...until the last 100m where she can often lose her stride pattern and then she's very awkward over the barriers. Bol is more consistent & fluid over the whole distance, and was able to get a full racing season in 2020. If Little gets it right though, then she is obviously a big danger.

I'm also hoping Bol's technique is improved. As I say, very good stride pattern, but she needs to be more efficient over the hurdles.
                Last edited by Wiederganger; 02-22-2021, 10:46 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wiederganger View Post
                  Another NR for Femke Bol, her 4th this season (NRs in every meet!) She edged under her recent time from Torun in 50.64. Lieke Klaver also set a new PB of 51.21. Which is faster than the pre 2021 NR.
                  In the post race interview, Klaver said her tactic is called 'intelligent suicide' by her and her coach, and she mentally approaches the event like a 300m. Going too slow over the first 200m doesn't help her and she runs better when she is basically just holding on over the last 100m, rather than try and run more even paced.

Bol said her race plan was to stay close to Lieke who she knows will take it out hard, she tried to run a better opening 200m herself because she knows she has the endurance to hold the whole distance, and then try and overtake around 250m, which she did.

Note both have the QT for Tokyo in the 400m now. Bol has the 400mh already from 2019. Klaver will aim to get the 200m QT as well outdoors.

You can see the final at 4:44.55
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL0R08hMf7s
                  Last edited by Wiederganger; 02-22-2021, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Maybe! First, Little has to make the team, and those US Trials are notoriously difficult. She was 4th in the nationals in 2019 and pushed out the team for Doha don't forget. I'm also hoping Bol's technique is improved. As I say, very good stride pattern, but she needs to be more efficient over the hurdles.
                    Bol's biggest strength now is that she's still steeply improving. Her weakness is only only season under 54.
                    Littles' strength is her championship experience and 5 years under 54. Her weakness, as you indicate, is that she has to peak for the Oly Trials and hold that for the Games.
                    I do think it's a draw right now, and while my national pride is pulling for Little, Bol is also a great new force on the world scene. I am not, however, interested in seeing her beat DM or SL!

Comment

Maybe! First, Little has to make the team, and those US Trials are notoriously difficult. She was 4th in the nationals in 2019 and pushed out the team for Doha don't forget. I would also like to see her hurdling form this summer before I commit. Like many US women she didn't get to hurdle in competition at all in 2020. Overall she takes the hurdles much more closely than Bol, with less time in the air, which is great...until the last 100m where she can often lose her stride pattern and then she's very awkward over the barriers. Bol is more consistent & fluid over the whole distance, and was able to get a full racing season in 2020. If Little gets it right though, then she is obviously a big danger.

I'm also hoping Bol's technique is improved. As I say, very good stride pattern, but she needs to be more efficient over the hurdles.
                      Maybe the increased speed indicates better conditioning so fewer problems over 9 and 10. As for all of these athletes (and more), it is the long hurdles and things happen; although fewer happen to M.

Comment

• Originally posted by 26mi235 View Post
                        Maybe the increased speed indicates better conditioning so fewer problems over 9 and 10. As for all of these athletes (and more), it is the long hurdles and things happen; although fewer happen to M.
                        Moses aptly demonstrated that you can control enough things in the 400H to ensure consistent success. It IS more science than art, and reducing the variables in the experiment leads to a lower standard deviation in the data.

Comment

• Some really good early marks at the French Long Throws Championships :

wHT : Alexandra Tavernier 75.38 WL NR PB
                          wDT : Melina Robert-Michon 63.43 WL (34th national title at 41, new record)
                          mHT : Yann Chaussinand 74.59 PB Hugo Tavernier 72.45 PB
                          mHT U20 (6kg) : Jean-Baptiste Bruxelle 78.57 WL
                          mDT : Lolassonn Djouhan 62.43 SB

Very windy conditions that probably helped the discus throwers, not that much for the hammer ones, Tavernier steadily improving ...
                          Last edited by ZazaShoya; 02-22-2021, 06:30 PM.

Comment

• Ya gotta love the NCAA's draw.

Texas A&M - Commerce (never heard of it, but that's just me) has a good mHJer (by way of Central Arizona College!), who just went 7-4,5 (2.25). He went to Maris Stella College previosuly, which you've never heard of , because . . . it's in India, and he is from Sri Lanka. Welcome Ushan Perera!

Comment

Bol said her race plan was to stay close to Lieke who she knows will take it out hard, she tried to run a better opening 200m herself because she knows she has the endurance to hold the whole distance, and then try and overtake around 250m, which she did.
                              Bol also said in a post-race interview in Toruล„ that she's been working on improving her speed this year, which allows her to open faster, while still being able to close fast.
                              Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Ya gotta love the NCAA's draw.

Texas A&M - Commerce (never heard of it, but that's just me) h..!
                                most famous track alum John Carlos!

Comment

Working...
                                X