• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Outdoors in Ethiopia, Gudaf Tsegay ran 4:02.35 in the 1500m

Comment

Originally posted by ATK View Post
      Outdoors in Ethiopia, Gudaf Tsegay ran 4:02.35 in the 1500m
      On 2300m altitude. Selemon Barega ran 27:58 in the same meet.

Comment

Originally posted by ATK View Post
        Outdoors in Ethiopia
        Does Ethiopia, being close to the Equator, even have an indoor track?

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
          No...

There is an unfamiliar feeling of unease that hits Ethiopian athletes when they prepare to make their indoor debuts. With no severe winter at home to necessitate indoor running venues, it is not unusual for them to fret about enclosed indoor arenas, banked tracks and the proximity of the running track to the crowd and field events.

https://www.worldathletics.org/news/...ndoor-champion

Comment

I don't think any country in Africa does. The only non-European countries where the indoor season really exists are the US, Canada, Japan and China. The Asian Indoor Champs are a fairly recent invention, and the South American Indoor Champs were only created last year because of the way the WA world rankings work, to give the athletes from the continent a better shot at making the Olympics.
            Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

I can't think of any permanent indoor tracks in England for that matter...

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
                I can't think of any permanent indoor tracks in England for that matter...
                Sheffield, Manchester and Lee Valley in north London all have permanent 200m tracks.

The first result mentioned on this thread (Ciara Mageean's 3000m) was from Manchester.
                Last edited by Trickstat; 01-18-2021, 10:21 PM.

Comment

Interesting.....I didn't know that and I have a good friend who lives there....they knock down Don Valley and give them an indoor track...

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/548876273312243237/
                  Last edited by Conor Dary; 01-18-2021, 10:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
                    Interesting.....I didn't know that and I have a good friend who lives there....they knock down Don Valley and give them an indoor track...

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/548876273312243237/
                    The indoor track was built a few years before the adjacent Don Valley was demolished. I think all 3 of these tracks opened between 2000 and 2010. For quite a few years after the track at RAF Cosford closed, the only permanent indoor track in the whole of the UK was in Glasgow.

Comment

So you're telling me there are only 4 permanent indoor facilities in the UK ? Or 4 tracks able to hold "large-scale" competitions ?

Comment

Mahuchikh starting off her season with a 2.02.
                        Lasitskene will have her hands full this year, trying to beat her.
                        Esp. considering Damocles' sword hanging over her. From a home-page-linked article:

Russian world high jump champion Maria Lasitskene has said she won’t get vaccinated against Covid-19 yet as she is afraid of potential side effects and is awaiting an announcement from the anti-doping authorities. The only female high jumper to win three world titles, Lasitskene explained she worries about the effect the vaccine could have on her body, stressing she wouldn’t be taking the step until the jab is compulsory for all professional athletes.

Comment

Originally posted by Trickstat View Post

The indoor track was built a few years before the adjacent Don Valley was demolished. I think all 3 of these tracks opened between 2000 and 2010. For quite a few years after the track at RAF Cosford closed, the only permanent indoor track in the whole of the UK was in Glasgow.
                          The Sheffield track I just found out was built in 2005....Don Valley went down only a few years ago...

Comment

Originally posted by ZazaShoya View Post
                            So you're telling me there are only 4 permanent indoor facilities in the UK ? Or 4 tracks able to hold "large-scale" competitions ?
                            There are only 5 permanent indoor 200m tracks in London, Manchester, Sheffield, Glasgow and Cardiff. The Birmingham track that has hosted many big meets is temporary and I think is generally down for about 6-8 weeks a year. There are other indoor facilities with sprint straights that can also host jumps and shot competitions. Mainly 60m with a few only 50m and 3 that can do up to 110m (Birmingham Alexander Stadium, Brunel University (West London) and Loughborough).

Comment

Originally posted by Trickstat View Post

There are only 5 permanent indoor 200m tracks in London, Manchester, Sheffield, Glasgow and Cardiff. The Birmingham track that has hosted many big meets is temporary and I think is generally down for about 6-8 weeks a year. There are other indoor facilities with sprint straights that can also host jumps and shot competitions. Mainly 60m with a few only 50m and 3 that can do up to 110m (Birmingham Alexander Stadium, Brunel University (West London) and Loughborough).
                              That's surprising. I can think of about 15 of these tracks on the other side of the Channel ... So I guess it's quite hard at lesser levels to compete in middle-distance races.

Comment

Originally posted by ZazaShoya View Post
                                That's not a bad number. Poland currently has two 200m tracks: Spała, which is not conducive to great performances in track races (and only has 4 tracks) and Toruń, which is a legacy of the 2014 WIC in Gdynia.
                                Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Working...
                                X