Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ZazaShoya View Post
    Mayer is either champion or DNF. We'll see in Götzis where his opponents are, mainly Kaul after surgery, if he steps up in speed, we could have a match.
    Originally posted by Wiederganger View Post
    Kaul posted on Instagram his first post-surgery 75m javelin throw in training. He looked very good.
    Kaul could be scary good this year, and Mayer may DNF, but I (!) will consider M to be a lock based on his overall superiority across the board.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atticus View Post

Kaul could be scary good this year, and Mayer may DNF, but I (!) will consider M to be a lock based on his overall superiority across the board.
      In my mind, a lock is something you don't have to worry about. It's a done deal. You can hand out the Gold Medal right now. I think your definition of a lock is a "strong favorite". And I can't argue with your list of strong favorites!
      Last edited by TWalsh; 04-27-2021, 03:34 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by TWalsh View Post
        In my mind, a lock is something you don't have to worry about. It's a done deal. You can hand out the Gold Medal right now.
        Oh yikes, in track & field, in ANY true sport, there ain't no sech a thang.
        I guess my idea of a lock is 'a prohibitive favorite', such that it wouldn't even be worth betting on, since the return would be so low.
        In the 1973 Belmont, Secretariat paid $0.10 on a $2* bet!

* edit - I just read that the pay-out was for each ONE dollar bet, so the odds were 1-10, mighty slim.
        Last edited by Atticus; 04-27-2021, 03:59 PM.

Comment

I guess my idea of a lock is 'a prohibitive favorite', such that it wouldn't even be worth betting on, since the return would be so low.
          In the 1973 Belmont, Secretariat paid $0.10 on a $2 bet!
          What about some of the Dutch speed skaters at the recent Winter Olympics? I remember one race where the opponent conceded the match after he found out who he was racing against.

Comment

• Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post
            What about some of the Dutch speed skaters at the recent Winter Olympics? I remember one race where the opponent conceded the match after he found out who he was racing against.
            Do you recall at which Olympics this happened?

Comment

• Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post
              They should have been banned for life by their federation, seriously.

Comment

They should have been banned for life by their federation, seriously.
                One of those countries upset about losing is Norway, but hasn't medalled in speed skating at all this year, has only four speed skating medals in the last 20 years. In fact, the entire Norwegian team dropped out of the 10,000m race, being held at 8:00 a.m. ET on Tuesday. (Results Update: The Dutch won all three medals. Again. And set an Olympic record.) The team said they wanted to focus on the team event later this week, while Koolhaas said it was "understandable" that they might drop out because they were going to lose.

Team, not skater.

Comment

In the 1973 Belmont, Secretariat paid $0.10 on a $2* bet!

* edit - I just read that the pay-out was for each ONE dollar bet, so the odds were 1-10, mighty slim.
                  No, those are not the odds, that is the minimum payout. The track lost a lot of money paying out ten cents to a vast majority of all bettors.

Comment

• Originally posted by 26mi235 View Post
                    No, those are not the odds, that is the minimum payout. The track lost a lot of money paying out ten cents to a vast majority of all bettors.
                    Spoken like someone who's played the ponies a bit?

Comment

Spoken like someone who's played the ponies a bit?
                      Virtually not at all; on the other hand one of my brothers was a thoroughbred broker (a major, the first one to bid $10,000,000 on a yearling - thank goodness someone out bid then because the horse was a bust). He has known Mr. Bowie since about 1970. He was following the horses from the time he was about 12 (at least). He would even have us run races with distance handicaps to equalize for age.

Comment

• from a press release this morning:

Sifan Hassan confirmed for Hengelo for a fast 10,000 meters
                        The world’s fastest women set for FBK Games.

Hengelo | Sifan Hassan is confirmed to race the 10,000m in Hengelo on Sunday June 6th. Hassan is the current world champion after taking the win in a stunning race at the Doha World Championships in 2019. Hengelo proves to be the perfect preparation leading up to the Olympic Games. “I want to run a fast 10,000m in Hengelo.” says Hassan. “Hengelo has a long tradition in very quick long-distance races, and it fully suits in my schedule towards Tokyo.”

Comment

• Also announced today:

"Sha'Carri Richardson, Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce, Elaine Thompson-Herah and Dina Asher-Smith have been announced as part of a top 100m field for the Wanda Diamond League meeting in Gateshead on Sunday 23 May."

These women are fearless, you've got to love it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paced View Post
                            "Sha'Carri Richardson, Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce, Elaine Thompson-Herah and Dina Asher-Smith have been announced as part of a top 100m field for the Wanda Diamond League meeting in Gateshead on Sunday 23 May."
                            Talk about NOT ducking each other!! It'll be epic.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paced View Post
                              Also announced today:

These women are fearless, you've got to love it.
                              apparently one of the criteria for entry is a name with either an apostrophe or a hyphen

Comment

• Originally posted by gh View Post
                                apparently one of the criteria for entry is a name with either an apostrophe or a hyphen
                                I'm old-skool enough to roll my eyes at some of the ' constructions people come up, but I really like Sha'Carri.
                                Key & Peale had some great skits about All-Star football player intros.

Comment

Working...
                                X