Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by El Toro View Post
    Well, it depends on how you define best!

There have only been five series that I could find with a winning throw of greater than 90m and with all six throws over 85m. Vetter's weekend series is not included because of that 84.20.

The clear best series is, unsurprisingly, held by the WR holder, Jan Zelezny in Stellenbosch, RSA in 1997.

His series didn't have five throws over 88m, it had five throws over 90m!

His throws, in descending distance, were 94.02, 92.30, 92.26, 91.44, 90.58, 87.62, Mean - 91.37.

Interestingly, despite four other series having all throws over 85, Vetter's weekend series has a higher average than all of them with his 88.68, despite having one throw below that threshold. However, I only used data >=85m, so this may just be an artifact of the dataset limitations.
    haha, I guess I should have defined best. I just mistakenly assumed that whatever series had the highest average would also have the highest number of "throws over X".

Great stats as always El Toro! Thank you!

Highest average is a great stat. As is # of throws over 90m. I didn't realize JZ had a series with five!

Comment

• Tomorrow, Wed 12th, there is a cracking Men's 5000m being live streamed at the Silver Meeting FIDAL Lombardia in Bergamo, Italy.

Due to compete are Selemon Barega, Hagos Gebrhiwet, World U20 champ Edward Pingua Zakayo, Oscar Chelimo, Carlos Mayo (ESP) & Thierry Ndikumwenayo (BDI).

The stream starts at 7.25pm local time via https://www.facebook.com/fidal.lombardia/videos, with the race starting at 7.30pm.

Comment

• International Meeting City of Savona-Memorial Giulio Ottolia in Italy on May 13th

Womens 200m:
        Dina Asher-Smith
        Marie-Josee Ta Lou
        Ivet Lalova-Collio
        Last edited by ATK; 05-12-2021, 04:45 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fortius19 View Post

haha, I guess I should have defined best. I just mistakenly assumed that whatever series had the highest average would also have the highest number of "throws over X".

Great stats as always El Toro! Thank you!

Highest average is a great stat. As is # of throws over 90m. I didn't realize JZ had a series with five!

Competitions with multiple throwers/throws at 90m or better are very rare beasts. Here are some related facts:

1) There is only one competition in history with three throwers at 90m. Thomas Röhler (91.78), Johannes Vetter (91.56) and Andreas Hofmann (91.78) achieved that in Ad-Dawha (Doha) on 4 May 2018.

2) There are only 4 other competitions with two throwers at 90m:
          • Jena, 25 May 1996 (Jan Zelezn√Ĺ (3 throws), Raymond Hecht)
          • Kuortane 24 June 2000 (Aki Parviainen, Konstad√≠nos Gatsio√ļdis)
          • Edmonton, 12 August 2001 (Aki Parviainen, Jan Zelezn√Ĺ)
          • Taipei 26 August 2017 (Andreas Hofmann, Cheng Chao-Tsun).

3) The Jena competition is the only competition with more than one thrower and more than one throw per thrower.

4) Only four throwers have had competitions with multiple throws at 90m or better:

Athlete Competitions
          Jan Zelezn√Ĺ 12
          Johannes Vetter 5
          Thomas Röhler 2
          Sergey Makarov 1
          Total 20

5) Of those 20 competitions, nobody has achieved six 90m throws:
          • Zelezn√Ĺ is the only thrower to hit five
          • Zelezn√Ĺ and Vetter have both done 4
          • Zelezn√Ĺ has done three (twice)
          • Zelezn√Ĺ, Vetter, Makarov and R√∂hler have done two throws,15 times.

Details sorted by number of throws, then mean distance are in the table below (source - www.alltime-athletics.com ):

Athlete Competition Throws Mean
          Jan Zelezn√Ĺ Stellenbosch|26.03.1997| 5 92.12
          Jan Zelezn√Ĺ Tokyo|15.09.1995| 4 91.23
          Johannes Vetter Luzern|11.07.2017| 4 91.23
          Jan Zelezn√Ĺ Jena|25.05.1996| 3 94.27
          Jan Zelezn√Ĺ London|27.08.1995| 3 91.54
          Johannes Vetter Chorzów|06.09.2020| 2 96.30
          Jan Zelezn√Ĺ Sheffield|29.08.1993| 2 95.50
          Johannes Vetter Thum|18.08.2017| 2 92.78
          Jan Zelezn√Ĺ Ostrava|28.05.1997| 2 91.45
          Sergey Makarov Sheffield|30.06.2002| 2 91.35
          Jan Zelezn√Ĺ Monaco|09.09.1995| 2 91.30
          Thomas Röhler Ostrava|28.06.2017| 2 91.28
          Thomas Röhler Turku|29.06.2016| 2 91.16
          Jan Zelezn√Ĺ Sheffield|04.09.1994| 2 91.09
          Jan Zelezn√Ĺ Pretoria|08.04.1996| 2 91.04
          Jan Zelezn√Ĺ Kuortane|22.06.1996| 2 91.03
          Jan Zelezn√Ĺ Villeneuve d'Ascq|08.07.1994| 2 91.02
          Johannes Vetter Split|08.05.2021 2 90.78
          Jan Zelezn√Ĺ Bruxelles|25.08.1995| 2 90.47
          Johannes Vetter Chorzów|25.08.2020| 2 90.43

Comment

• Originally posted by ATK View Post
            International Meeting City of Savona-Memorial Giulio Ottolia in Italy on May 13th

Womens 200m:
            Dina Asher-Smith
            Marie-Josee Ta Lou
            Ivet Lalova-Collio
            Ta Lou is in the 100 not the 200.

http://www.fidal.it/risultati/2021/C...STBYEVENT1.htm

Comment

• at a Jamaica Athletics Administrative Association (JAAA) qualifying meet at GC Foster College in St Catherine yesterday.

m100 Yohan Blake 10.05 seconds (1.9); Tajay Gayle, 10.30 seconds (-0.2)

m4x1 (Asafa Powell, Julian Forte, Yohan Blake,Oshane Bailey) 38.33 seconds

w200 Shericka Jackson 22.62 seconds (1.5)

w400H Janieve Russell 55.45

https://www.jamaicaobserver.com/spor...college_221060

Comment

• Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                at a Jamaica Athletics Administrative Association (JAAA) qualifying meet at GC Foster College in St Catherine yesterday.

https://www.jamaicaobserver.com/spor...college_221060
                that was last Saturday

Comment

• Originally posted by gh View Post
                  that was last Saturday
                  Which was 'yesterday' from the article's dateline, May 9. I should have included quote marks.

Comment

• In other Jamaican news, from home-page article:

THE Jamaica Olympic Association (JOA) and the Jamaica Athletics Administrative Association (JAAA) on Monday announced a multimillion-dollar partnership that will see JOA assist with the staging of a four-part track and field series, as well as the National Championships.

There will be three Saturday meets on the 22nd of May, the 29th of May and the 5th of June for the senior athletes, and then on 12th of June a meet will be held for the Paralympians to secure qualification for the Paralympic Games.

Significantly, athletes participating in the series will be able to earn as prize money will be offered to the top six finishers in each event. Fourteen events will make up each meet in the series, six of which will be designated as premium events, four as classic events and four as non-prize events. The designation will change from week to week, thereby giving all the participants involved a chance to win prize money.

First-place finishers in the premium events will earn $100,000 while a first place in the classic events will attract $70,000.

Comment

• First-place finishers in the premium events will earn $100,000 while a first place in the classic events will attract $70,000.
                      Those amounts are in Jamaican dollars; the equivalents in US dollars are approximately $660 and $460.

Comment

• Originally posted by 18.99s View Post
                        Those amounts are in Jamaican dollars; the equivalents in US dollars are approximately $660 and $460.
                        I thought it sounded kinda generous, but they DO take their sprinting seriously there!

Comment

• The Italian 5000 is on

https://www.facebook.com/fidal.lomba...79674650515716

the pace looks good, but there's no clock and I don't speak EYE-talian!

I just heard '13-flat' which I'll assume is the pace they're on.

13:01. Hmmm, watching a 5000 with no time or commentary is . . . less than satisfying.
                          I won't complain any more about sub-par web-casts that at least attempt to give you that.
                          Last edited by Atticus; 05-12-2021, 05:51 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                            The Italian 5000 is on

https://www.facebook.com/fidal.lomba...79674650515716

the pace looks good, but there's no clock and I don't speak EYE-talian!

I just heard '13-flat' which I'll assume is the pace they're on.

13:01. Hmmm, watching a 5000 with no time or commentary is . . . less than satisfying.
                            I won't complain any more about sub-par web-casts that at least attempt to give you that.
                            I heard lap times, and watch the clock going (on replay I was looking at the time left). And times were in English

Comment

• So the results were

1. Mark Lomuketi (Ken) 13:01.68 (Previous best was 13:45.7h from 2019!)
                              2. Selemon Barega (Eth) 13:02.47 (Silver in the Doha WC)
                              3. Oscar Chelimo (Uga) 13:06.79 (13:20 PR)

Comment

• El Toro have you got any updated stats on the total number of throws over 90m by Zelezny, Vetter etc. No doubt Zelezny will be well ahead but given his current trajectory is there a chance Vetter could get close to his record by the end of his career?

Comment

Working...
                                X