Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the difference between classes 1 & 2?

Comment

In most countries around the world, having a track Certified by World Athletics is for marketing and funding purposes. As already mentioned, most USA college/university tracks would meet the standards for for World Athletics Certification if they would submit the report and pay the fee. The main difference is that most college/university track markings are a little different then international markings - eg - relay zone marking. Again, as previously mentioned for records or qualifying purposes, a measurement report is all that is required. BUT - if a track is hosting a World Athletics Series championship, then a WA Certificate is required.

Comment

According to El Toro's responses, the new Hayward Field set-up is not compliant as either a Class 1 or 2 facility, as the jump runways are inside the track.

What is the chronology of awarding of the bid to Eugene and the adoption of these requirements for Class 1 and 2 facilities?

Comment

Originally posted by dj View Post
          According to El Toro's responses, the new Hayward Field set-up is not compliant as either a Class 1 or 2 facility, as the jump runways are inside the track.
          You beat me to it.

Begs the question: why do the jumps have to be outside the track? At a minimum that increases the footprint of the facility and also puts track another 10-20 feet farther away from the fans in the stands.

Comment

Originally posted by bad hammy View Post
            Portland had an Indoor WC a few years back, but on a temp track (presumably certified) that ended up somewhere I don't recall.

the World Indoor Champs track was repainted and purchased by Iowa.

Comment

You beat me to it.

Begs the question: why do the jumps have to be outside the track? At a minimum that increases the footprint of the facility and also puts track another 10-20 feet farther away from the fans in the stands.
              Right....British stadiums are lousy just for that reason. And why Hayward and Zurich are so much better....

Comment

You beat me to it.

Safety during long throwing events (DT, HT, JT).

Didn't stop Zurich hosting the 2014 European Champs though.

Comment

“At Hayward Field, the furthest seat away from the track on the home straight is nearer to lane nine, than the closest seat in the London Stadium. This is because all the jumps runways and pits are inside the track, meaning the front row of seats is literally in touching distance of the track, creating a really intense cauldron.”

https://www.sportbusiness.com/2020/1...ered_metered=1

Comment

Originally posted by Trickstat View Post

Safety during long throwing events (DT, HT, JT).
                    That's a scheduling issue more than a safety issue. Not sure exactly what they're planning at Hayward but they have a huge hammer/discus-ready facility just a few yards south of the stadium proper. I'm assuming for big meet that the javelin and discus will be inside, hammer outside - depends on how they feel about hammer-holes in the infield.

Comment

The horizontal jumps are inside the track at Univ of Arkansas.

Comment

That's a scheduling issue more than a safety issue. Not sure exactly what they're planning at Hayward but they have a huge hammer/discus-ready facility just a few yards south of the stadium proper. I'm assuming for big meet that the javelin and discus will be inside, hammer outside - depends on how they feel about hammer-holes in the infield.

I suspect the hammer days inside are over...

Comment

Originally posted by dj View Post

What is the chronology of awarding of the bid to Eugene and the adoption of these requirements for Class 1 and 2 facilities?
                          OK. I thought I'd go back and check to make sure I was right, given the propensity for WA to produce confusing documentation and occasionally have multiple versions of documents available through search engines.

I note that multiple different documents are referenced in relation to arena requirements. I started to write a post with the full chain of references yesterday but it was so long I though nobody would read it, so I deleted it. Pretty stupid of me now that I think about it!

However, if we look just at the most detailed document, the World Athletics Track and Field Facilities Manual 2019 (1 November), we find the reason why they want the horizontal jumps outside:

Chapter 2 - Competition Arena

2.3 Facilities for Jumping Events

The Jumping Events are Long Jump, Triple Jump, High Jump and Pole Vault.
                          The facilities required for these are described in Section 2.1.1.2. Further details are given in Sections 2.3.1 to 2.3.4. These facilities preferably should not be on the infield because of the potential safety and event scheduling problems.
                          Sensible thinking, but "preferably should not be on the infield" does not make it compulsory to have them outside.

Let's move on to a more explicit statement:

2.3.1 LONG JUMP FACILITY (See 2.1.1.2)

2.3.1.1 Layout (Figures 2.3.1.1a and b)

The Long Jump facility includes a runway, a take-off board and a landing area. Usually, it is placed outside the track along one of the straights with two adjacent runways with the landing areas offset at each end as shown in Figure 2.5a, thus allowing competition in either direction by two groups of athletes simultaneously. This is mandatory for Construction Categories I and II.
                          Now, to me, it's clear that the final sentence negates the "usually" of the previous sentence making all elements of that sentence mandatory for Class 1 and II arenas.

Figure 2.5a, as referenced, is a diagram of the WA "Standard Arena" layout with outside bi-directionl, parallel, offset runways.

One other thing to throw in relating to all throws being inside the arena that will affect tracks with artificial football fields inside:

The highest Construction Category possible for an arena that does not have all the requisite throwing facilities on the main arena is Construction Category III, if complying throwing facilities are provided within the same sports complex.

Comment

Originally posted by Trickstat View Post

I wonder if the person/people who check tracks in India for the home federation also does it for WA, so you get a 2 for 1 deal?
                            I don't know specifically about India but WA makes provision to accept suitable member certifications. From the Certification System Procedures (March 2020)

2.1.6 Some World Athletics Member Federations have already put technical certification procedures in place that regulate and certify facilities in their own countries. Where these procedures are considered adequate, World Athletics may recognise certificates issued by these Member Federations as adequate for issue of certificates, but World Athletics reserves the right to re-evaluate such facilities.

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
                              The horizontal jumps are inside the track at Univ of Arkansas.
                              And at Ichan Stadium, yet both certified. (I'm sure others on the certified list have the jumps inside as well)

Comment

"2.3.1 LONG JUMP FACILITY (See 2.1.1.2)

2.3.1.1 Layout (Figures 2.3.1.1a and b)

The Long Jump facility includes a runway, a take-off board and a landing area. Usually, it is placed outside the track along one of the straights with two adjacent runways with the landing areas offset at each end as shown in Figure 2.5a, thus allowing competition in either direction by two groups of athletes simultaneously. This is mandatory for Construction Categories I and II.

Now, to me, it's clear that the final sentence negates the "usually" of the previous sentence making all elements of that sentence mandatory for Class 1 and II arenas."

------

It seems to me that there is some ambiguity in the phrase "This is mandatory for Construction Categories I and II." In particular, exactly what is the antecedent of the word "This"? Does this refer to "outside the track" or does it refer to "two adjacent runways .... allowing competition ... by two groups of athletes simultaneously." The positioning of the word "usually" at the beginning of the sentence suggests that it modifies the word "placed," suggesting that the location is not mandatory.

Comment

Working...
                                X