Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Erriyon Knighton goes pro

see scoop on home page

Just read it. I agree on the similarities to Bolt, but that's an awful lotta EXPECTATION.
    He could be the next Real Deal, if all goes well physically and psychologically. He certainly has the tools.

Comment

I wasn't surprised to see him go pro especially with this pandemic. I definitely can see him running under 20.00 in the next year or two. He's got what it takes. Please stay healthy.

Comment

to keep pace with Bolt (yes, I'm being silly) he needs to run 19.93 this year (age 17)

Comment

He is definitely a bright talent. I hope he is able to deal with the pressures that come with turning pro (like I would know.....). I like that he is staying with his current coach and training group. Change as few things as necessary for a bit.

Comment

Lord knows I wish the young man all the best in the world, but I have seen too many teenage phenoms crash and burn.

Comment

Originally posted by The Klingon View Post
              Lord knows I wish the young man all the best in the world, but I have seen too many teenage phenoms crash and burn.
              Mary Decker
              Jordan Hasay
              Bolt
              Mondo
              Sydney McL
              and many others give us hope. Unfortunately, the crash-and-burns make 'good copy'.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                Mary Decker
                Jordan Hasay
                Bolt
                Mondo
                Sydney McL
                and many others give us hope. Unfortunately, the crash-and-burns make 'good copy'.
                All of the above finished at least high school before going pro, and all but one did at least a year in college.

Is there even one kid who went pro in T&F before age 18 and before finishing high school, who didn't crash and burn? Ever?

Comment

Originally posted by 18.99s View Post

All of the above finished at least high school before going pro, and all but one did at least a year in college.

Is there even one kid who went pro in T&F before age 18 and before finishing high school, who didn't crash and burn? Ever?
                  So the world only exists of the US?

Comment

Originally posted by 26mi235 View Post
                    So the world only exists of the US?
                    No... why do you think I was making a US-only statement, when Bolt was one of the athletes listed?

Comment

That is an excellent question. I just hope he has the right "handlers", people who know what they are doing. Because if he doesn't, well........SMH.

Comment

That IS a good question. There must be some, but as I'm thinking about it, many did achieve some early successes, but didn't improve after 21, which is, essentially, a crash-and-burn.

Comment

If we're talking international, does Yaroslava Mahuchikh count? I think she signed with Puma in either March or April 2019, before her 18th birthday (Sep 19th 2019) and she was still in high school in Ukraine at that year (though not sure exact date). Granted, we havent have many years to know if she will actually "crash & burn"
                          Last edited by ATK; 01-14-2021, 03:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ATK View Post
                            If we're talking international, does Yaroslava Mahuchikh count? I think she signed with Puma in either March or April 2019, before her 18th birthday (Sep 19th 2019) and she was still in high school in Ukraine at that year (though not sure exact date). Granted, we havent have many years to know if she will actually "crash & burn"
                            Do Ukrainian kids compete for their HSs? If not, they are essentially open athletes anyway? Doesn't affect anything if they are paid, yes/no? There'd be no reason NOT to accept money at any age.

Comment

A close-enough: Vashti Cunningham turned pro (and has flourished since) 2 months after her 18th birthday.

Comment

Working...
                              X