Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Women's Decathlon Petition

There is a change.org petition that deals with the women's decathlon. It's "End Gender Discrimination In The Olympics. Let Women Decathlon." To look at the petition, and sign it if you want, go to Petition · International Olympic Committee: End gender discrimination in the Olympics. Let Women Decathlon. · Change.org.

I signed it--and donated $11 for it!
    I strongly support a woman's dec, but want the same events in the same order as the men, but keep the throws poundage and hurdle heights the same as they are now!

Comment

Ugh the money just goes to Change.org, not anything supporting women's decathlon

Comment

Would this be in addition to the Heptathlon, or to replace it?

Comment

Most certainly to replace it. At best there might be one or two World Championships where they have both during the transition years, but the Olympics definitely won't allow both.

Comment

Originally posted by 18.99s View Post
            Most certainly to replace it. At best there might be one or two World Championships where they have both during the transition years, but the Olympics definitely won't allow both.
            I don't see why the Olympics can't do both the heptathlon and the women's decathlon at the same time, at least for 2 Olympics and then the decathlon will be the only multi-event for women in track and field. Is the rule forbidding two multi-events for women set in stone?

Comment

Originally posted by ralmcg View Post
              I don't see why the Olympics can't do both the heptathlon and the women's decathlon at the same time, at least for 2 Olympics
              I could see 1, not 2.

Comment

The IOC doesn't really care which events are run, they want gender equality (would they be fussed if the women had more? Probably not), and each sport gets X number of spots.

Where did World Athletics get the spots for the co-ed 4x400? Which events shrank to make room for it?

If you are an athlete with talents appropriate for the 400 meter dash, you have potential Olympic opportunities in the open 400, single gender 4x400, co-ed 4x400, and to a lesser extent the 200 or 800 or 400 hurdles.

Comment

Having the hep and the dec in the same Olympics is probably not realistic. Having both in the World Championships is 100% doable.

Comment

I read the Olympic Charter. It seems like that World Athletics will have to propose women's decathlon before the IOC will even consider it. Here's a copy of the Olympic Charter.

EN-Olympic-Charter.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by ralmcg View Post
                      I read the Olympic Charter. It seems like that World Athletics will have to propose women's decathlon before the IOC will even consider it. Here's a copy of the Olympic Charter.

EN-Olympic-Charter.pdf
                      That makes sense. I am pretty sure that since the World Champs began in 1983, all new events added to the Olympic T&F schedule were in the WCs first.

Comment

The only new (post-1983) events that I can think of off the top of my head were the women's TJ, PV, HT, and steeple. And I'm pretty sure they were in the WC' before they were in the OG.

Comment

To help push the women's decathlon to be held in international competitions earlier people can contact World Athletics at Contact Us (worldathletics.org). In the "[select an area]" line choose "Disciplines".

Comment

I am for it but there would need to be a long transition. Even if it were approved today, it might be too late for 2024 already.

Comment

Originally posted by Halfmiler2 View Post
                              I am for it but there would need to be a long transition. Even if it were approved today, it might be too late for 2024 already.
                              How long should the transition last?

Comment

Working...
                              X