Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7b12IfuiF0Y

Look at the plastic bag on the garbage can at the end of the straight in the video. That's assuming you can ignore the sound of the wind in the video, the shorts of some of the other runners in the infield blowing, the wind readings in the surrounding heats, etc.
    Mens 100m wind readings
    Heat 1: +2.0
    Heat 2: +2.6
    Heat 3: +4.8
    Heat 4: +3.4

Some other wind readings from the meet:

Womens 100m Hurdles +1.2
    Women's 100m final +1.3
    Womens 200m final +2.0 & +3.0
    Mens 200m final +3.6 & +1.3

It was a windy day, but I think its pretty realistic to have the wind go up and down for the few seconds they are on the track in each heat

Comment

• Originally posted by ATK View Post

Mens 100m wind readings
      Heat 1: +2.0
      Heat 2: +2.6
      Heat 3: +4.8
      Heat 4: +3.4

Some other wind readings from the meet:

Womens 100m Hurdles +1.2
      Women's 100m final +1.3
      Womens 200m final +2.0 & +3.0
      Mens 200m final +3.6 & +1.3

It was a windy day, but I think its pretty realistic to have the wind go up and down for the few seconds they are on the track in each heat
      You are free to believe the wind reading and I also get it that it is possible to have different wind readings for different heats which may be legit. The howling wind noise before, during and after the race along with the plastic bag nearly pulling the garbage can off the ground at the end of the straight as the field went by it would strongly suggest a bit of a problem. That's if the trees blowing behind the finish and shorts of the bystanders at the start don't.

Comment

You are free to believe the wind reading and I also get it that it is possible to have different wind readings for different heats which may be legit. The howling wind noise before, during and after the race along with the plastic bag nearly pulling the garbage can off the ground at the end of the straight as the field went by it would strongly suggest a bit of a problem. That's if the trees blowing behind the finish and shorts of the bystanders at the start don't.
        If the wind was +2.1 would you have claimed it makes sense his run was wind aided?

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7b12IfuiF0Y

Look at the plastic bag on the garbage can at the end of the straight in the video. That's assuming you can ignore the sound of the wind in the video, the shorts of some of the other runners in the infield blowing, the wind readings in the surrounding heats, etc.
          and what appear (in a fuzzy bit of film) to be two people standing in front of the anemometer intake, assuming that's what the group is halfway through the race.

Comment

If the wind was +2.1 would you have claimed it makes sense his run was wind aided?
            Initially no. A look at the video, particularly the one I posted which has sound, would lead me to believe the gauge was in some sort of default. However I am suspicious of many sprint times and jumps run here in Florida at this time of year. It is universally windy at this time of the year and your either running into or with a pretty strong wind.

I don't know how one doesn't question that performance based on the evidence on the video. Again...if anyone wants to go with it, they are free to do so.

Comment

• Don't have details, but saw on Twitter Keturah Orji being congratulated for breaking the AR in the TJ with 14.93, or 48-11.50!

Comment

• Originally posted by aaronk View Post
                Don't have details, but saw on Twitter Keturah Orji being congratulated for breaking the AR in the TJ with 14.93, or 48-11.50!
                Yep... 14.92
                http://results.runnercard.com/Result...meetid=1003353

Comment

• https://twitter.com/i/status/1386416363439378433

Comment

• outdoor WL(?) for Chris Bernard at Chula Vista today... 17.15 / 56-3 1/4 (+2.0)

Comment

• Does anyone know if spectators will be admitted to the elite day at Mt Sac (May 9) and if so, how to get tickets ?

Comment

Initially no. A look at the video, particularly the one I posted which has sound, would lead me to believe the gauge was in some sort of default. However I am suspicious of many sprint times and jumps run here in Florida at this time of year. It is universally windy at this time of the year and your either running into or with a pretty strong wind.

I don't know how one doesn't question that performance based on the evidence on the video. Again...if anyone wants to go with it, they are free to do so.
                        I would agree with your noted evidence from the video if the wind reading was drastically off. Like Flo Jo's WR, or even if it was +1.0 I would maybe question it with the video and the other heat's wind readings. But IMO, it was really windy which I think +2.0 indicates.

But anyway, he ran 9.91 (+2.0) and I'm sure it will stand. His 100m times (in finals converted for wind) indicate he was on the path anyway:

10.05 (+0.4) --> 10.07

Final 10.11 (+1.2) --> 10.17
                        Final 10.03 (+1.0) --> 10.08
                        Final 9.91 (+2.0) --> 10.00

The progression seems pretty normal to me, he just caught a perfect wind this weekend.

Comment

it was really windy which I think +2.0 indicates.
                          The odd thing is that 2.0 is not very windy. It's 5mph, a good breeze, but not anything that puts a flag out.

Comment

• the PhD guy who gauged all the major NorCal meets for decades had a rule of thumb, which T&FN staffers "tested"on multiple occasions and it proved out: if you can feel the air, it's illegal. A 2.0 (4.473 mph) is almost nothing.

Comment

• Ok so whats the next step? I mean world athletics already recognizes it. Will T&FN forever mark Kerley's time as possibly wind aided? What other races aside from Flo Jo's have an asterisk for likely/possibly windy next to it?

Comment

I would agree with your noted evidence from the video if the wind reading was drastically off. Like Flo Jo's WR, or even if it was +1.0 I would maybe question it with the video and the other heat's wind readings. But IMO, it was really windy which I think +2.0 indicates.

But anyway, he ran 9.91 (+2.0) and I'm sure it will stand. His 100m times (in finals converted for wind) indicate he was on the path anyway:

10.05 (+0.4) --> 10.07

Final 10.11 (+1.2) --> 10.17
                                Final 10.03 (+1.0) --> 10.08
                                Final 9.91 (+2.0) --> 10.00

The progression seems pretty normal to me, he just caught a perfect wind this weekend.
                                My own opinion based on the video is that not only was it a wind over the limit but significantly so.

Comment

Working...
                                X