Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A 2.0 wind is barely detectible if you are sitting motionless, naked. You can feel the difference running into a 2.0 wind, even clothed.
    But, it is not a flag flapping gale.

Comment

• Heres a side view of Orji's jump: https://www.instagram.com/p/COGry6-HkZN/
      Another angle: https://www.instagram.com/p/COHeyI5lAe6/
      Last edited by ATK; 04-26-2021, 04:47 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by gh View Post

and what appear (in a fuzzy bit of film) to be two people standing in front of the anemometer intake, assuming that's what the group is halfway through the race.
        You mean these guys?

WindGauge.JPG
        Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
          A 2.0 wind is barely detectible if you are sitting motionless, naked. You can feel the difference running into a 2.0 wind, even clothed.
          But, it is not a flag flapping gale.
          Agreed it's the kind of breeze that you don't really notice sitting down or just strolling around but you do when you try to run or even walk briskly into it.

Comment

• Darrell Hill opened up his 2021 season in Chula Vista with a throw of 21.76. He had three throws over 21 meters. (21.22, X, X, 21.21, X, 21.76). The US Olympic Trials shot put is going to be very competitive in June. It is very possible that 21 meters doesn't make the Olympic team this year. I believe John Godina's 21.09 at the 2000 Trials is the best 4th place throw at a US Olympic Trials. Ironically, Godina finished 3rd at the Olympics that year. CJ Hunter, who finished 2nd in the Trials, never made it to Sydney because of positive drug tests.
            Last edited by TWalsh; 04-26-2021, 04:42 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by TWalsh View Post
              The US Olympic Trials shot put is going to be very competitive.
              The WCT 2019 was pretty good . . .

Comment

• Originally posted by miketandf View Post
                Fantastic AR and PR! Looking forward to seeing her take that next step, from 4th in Rio to the medal stand in Tokyo!

Comment

• Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                  Is Wlodarczyk still in the game? If not, it could happen. People like Wang (77 PR) Fiodorow (76) need to up their game to get in the way.
                  Wlodarczyk is returning to competition at the European Throwing Cup in May. Story linked in front page headline section.

Comment

• Originally posted by tandfman View Post
                    Wlodarczyk is returning to competition at the European Throwing Cup in May. Story linked in front page headline section.
                    Having two Americans over 78m should be plenty of incentive to get a big one off here, even tho it's her first comp in 2 years and hasn't been over 78 in 3.
                    If she 'only' throws 75 here, she still has to be considered a huge threat for Gold in Tokyo.

Comment

• Originally posted by ATK View Post
                      Her middle phase is nothing to write home about, but her first and last ones sure are! There's probably nothing to fix there, cuz if you try to lengthen the second, the first or third may suffer. Mr. Edwards was the master of all three!

Comment

• Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
                        A 2.0 wind is barely detectible if you are sitting motionless, naked.
                        Oh great, I'm trying REALLY hard not to form a mental image of you sitting by the board, flags in hand . . . naked.

Comment

• Originally posted by Trickstat View Post
                          Agreed it's the kind of breeze [-2.0] that you don't really notice sitting down or just strolling around but you do when you try to run or even walk briskly into it.
                          Even in still (0.0) conditions, elite sprinters are going 25mph, so that's a -11.2mps wind they're feeling in their faces already. The only time I was bothered by the wind was when it was in my face in a 110H and then only because I had to work to 3-step.

Comment

Even in still (0.0) conditions, elite sprinters are going 25mph, so that's a -11.2mps wind they're feeling in their faces already. The only time I was bothered by the wind was when it was in my face in a 110H and then only because I had to work to 3-step.
                            Wind is a really tricky thing. If you have a 6mps wind that is neither parallel to the straights, or at a 90 degree angle to them, then you take the cosine of the angle at which the runner encounters that wind and multiply it by the wind value, to get the equivalent wind force on the straights. It will also be a major impediment around one of the curves. Given a "nasty" enough angle, that could be like running a lap, where at least 75% of it is severely wind-hindered. With the right angle, a runner could be hitting something over 5mps through much of a 400 meter race.
                            Last edited by 1.609; 04-27-2021, 06:10 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1.609 View Post
                              you take the cosine of the angle at which the runner encounters that wind and multiply it by the wind value, to get the equivalent wind force on the straights.
                              Not sure about that, but I watched Walter Dix run a 19.69 in Gainesville in May 2007, and was credited with a +0.9 wind. The vector may well have been that on the straightaway, but there was a huge wind at his back at the start and around the curve. With that kind of momentum, his final time was easier to understand - previous PR, 20.13, 2 weeks prior.

Comment

Her middle phase is nothing to write home about, but her first and last ones sure are! There's probably nothing to fix there, cuz if you try to lengthen the second, the first or third may suffer. Mr. Edwards was the master of all three!
                                That is what always impressed me about Edwards. He kinda levitates a meter on the step phase.

Comment

Working...
                                X