Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

#3 and #4 A-T US women's 10,000s for Elise Cranny (30:47.42) and Karissa Schweizer (30:47.99) in California tonight.
    Emily Infeld to #9 at 31:08.57.

https://finishedresults.trackscorebo...ts/9695/events

Comment

Grant Fisher debuts at 10K in 27:11.29 to move to #5 A-T US... Marc Scott (GB) wins in 27:10.41.

Woody Kincaid to #6 A-T US 27:12.78 and Ben True #8 at 27:14.95

Comment

We need more 10K's on the track!
        Get some HS'ers in there!!
        What is Cranny's best distance?
        Schweizer has the ability to get Huddle's AR!!
        What happened to Ed Cheserek?

Comment

It's so hard to get excited or even interested in distance races/times these days...

Comment

Originally posted by rsb3 View Post
            It's so hard to get excited or even interested in distance races/times these days...
            Speak for yourself!
            I was thrilled watching both races!
            But if you're talking about the new shoe advantage, I don't know who was wearing what shoes!
            I would say everyone ran what I thought they could run at their best, new shoes or not!

Comment

Originally posted by gm View Post
              Grant Fisher debuts at 10K in 27:11.29 to move to #5 A-T US... Marc Scott (GB) wins in 27:10.41.

Woody Kincaid to #6 A-T US 27:12.78 and Ben True #8 at 27:14.95
              They might have had five pacers in that race

Comment

Of course I only speak for myself, same as anyone else. I do respect others with a different opinion.
                But your last sentence, aaronk, seems to be saying that you are capable of predicting huge personal-
                best times by many runners, regardless of which shoes they are wearing. That is quite a gift you claim
                to have !

Comment

Of course I only speak for myself, same as anyone else. I do respect others with a different opinion.
                  But your last sentence, aaronk, seems to be saying that you are capable of predicting huge personal-
                  best times by many runners, regardless of which shoes they are wearing. That is quite a gift you claim
                  to have !
                  That 30-40 second slowdown rate per 5000 in a track 10000 has some classic proven examples---

(Times rounded up or down for convenience!)
                  Bekele 12:37 & 26:17 (or 13:08 per))==31 seconds
                  Gebresellassie 12:39 & 26:22 (or 13:11 per)==32 seconds
                  Flanagan 14:44 & 30:22 (or 15:11 per)==27 seconds---probably could have run faster over 5k
                  Cranny 14:48 & 30:47 (or 15:23 per)==35 seconds
                  T Dibaba 14:11 & 29:42 (or 14:51 per)==40 seconds

I think you or I could find many other examples over the past decades that match that 30-40 second slowdown rate!
                  Not a scientific study or even a scholarly one, but enough examples are about to prove my point about Cranny1!

BTW, other slowdown rates work for other track distance combos!
                  10-12 seconds per 880 in a mile!
                  12-15 seconds per mile in a two mile!
                  5-7 seconds per 400 in an 800
                  2:30 to 3:00 per half in a marathon!

But a lot of times, as you know, are not a true indication of a runner's ability!
                  Race strategy, time vs winning, weather, team points if in school, etc don't allow a runner to run at top speed!!
                  Purrier ran splits of 4:42 & 4:28 in her 9:10!
                  Her 4:16 gives her two mile potential of 8:56 to 9:02!
                  (Genzebe's deuce WR is her worst, quality-wise IMO!)

Forgot Cheptegei in above example list---
                  12:35 & 26:11 (or 13:05 per)==30 seconds!!
                  Last edited by aaronk; 02-21-2021, 07:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by aaronk View Post

Speak for yourself!
                    I was thrilled watching both races!
                    But if you're talking about the new shoe advantage, I don't know who was wearing what shoes!
                    I would say everyone ran what I thought they could run at their best, new shoes or not!
                    Too bad you are not a swimming fan. (Are you?)
                    You could have been super-excited during the LZR racer era.

Comment

to have !
                      Of course, every major shoemaker will come up with their own super fast spikes sooner or later. Anyone who doesn't run with one of them will become like speed skaters who did not skate with clap skates.

Comment

Originally posted by TN1965 View Post
                        Too bad you are not a swimming fan. (Are you?)
                        You could have been super-excited during the LZR racer era.
                        Not a big fan!
                        But have you noticed how some of the records are akin to track times?
                        And that swim records are broken MORE often than track records?

Comment

Originally posted by aaronk View Post

Not a big fan!
                          But have you noticed how some of the records are akin to track times?
                          And that swim records are broken MORE often than track records?
                          I think it's because they keep improving the water. Water is much faster these days.

Comment

It wasn't very long ago that some here discounted M. Centrowitz gold medal performance because it was tactical and slow, saying it is the competition and race strategy that mattered. Now you can't get excited or interested even though those 10k's last night were very competitive. Is you lack of excitement/interest due to the frickin shoes they were wearing? What happened to the "it is the competition and strategy of a race that matters"...especially if everyone is wearing similar shoes. Athletic performances change with the times...should we make everyone wear the same shoes Billy Mills and Bob Schul wore in Tokyo? I lowered my 220 yard time by over a second when I was a HS sophomore because about halfway thru the season a sprinter from another school told me to get a different shoe...but I guess my league championship medal was bogus.

Comment

Texas Relays drops high school portion for this year -- https://texassports.com/news/2021/2/...edule-set.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by gm View Post
                                Texas Relays drops high school portion for this year -- https://texassports.com/news/2021/2/...edule-set.aspx
                                As with the Fla and Penn and all the others who are cutting back, they realize that HS kids are too many flies in the ointment.

Comment

Working...
                                X