Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missed this last week in Indiana

wSP F Johnson 63-9.75 (19.45) AL

better than Maggie Ewen's 63-4.75 at Mt SAC.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atticus View Post
      But not so much, Cabral, with his wild appendages!
      Yeah pretty bad form...

Comment

• Originally posted by ATK View Post
        I'm a bit confused. Not only did everyone test negative, but they are all fully vaccinated. So would they have done this if it was at Olympic trials? Or maybe there is some other reasons they didnt want to run here?
        I'm sure the CDC has a record of every American who has been vaccinated but right there's no way to prove it lest someone is gullible enough to accept the vaccine cards as proof.

Comment

• Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
          Yeah pretty bad form...
          Once you get this far into your career, it wouldn't help to change, but his initial coach (if he even had one!) should have nipped that in the bud. For beginners it's natural to swing the arms wildly, but it's such a glaring bio-mechanical impediment to efficient clearance. Even Greg Foster famously swung the back arm too far. Skeets was the king of efficacy!

Comment

Once you get this far into your career, it wouldn't help to change, but his initial coach (if he even had one!) should have nipped that in the bud. For beginners it's natural to swing the arms wildly, but it's such a glaring bio-mechanical impediment to efficient clearance. Even Greg Foster famously swung the back arm too far. Skeets was the king of efficacy!
            Cabral went to Oregon so I, guessing he had the same coaching Devon Allen did.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dave View Post
              Cabral went to Oregon so I, guessing he had the same coaching Devon Allen did.
              I'm talking HS. Obviously, the Ore coach also decided it was too late to change. Sometimes you just have to make the best of what you have. Changing them to 'better' technique sometimes just doesn't work.
              T&F is replete with successful athletes who couldn't or wouldn't change.
              Clement in the 4H.
              Reese, for a long time, chair-sat into the LJ pit.
              Farmer-Patrick, in the 4H, SOARed over the hurdles.
              The infamous Huffman Roll.
              Eaton's shuffle SP.

And then there are the REAL losers who just couldn't seem to master anything close to decent technique like an OreSt HJer named Fosbury and a goofy LJer who put his arms between his legs, named . . . I'll think of it . . . oh yeah, Beamon.
              Last edited by Atticus; 05-10-2021, 09:08 PM.

Comment

• Ima hafta be exceedingly rude and call BS on Noah Lyles's saying he is exceeding his expectations so far this year.

I think both he and Michael Norman are wondering why they haven't gone faster.
                They are both doing 'fine', but they are used to doing a lot more than fine, even this early in the season.

In 2019 NL ran 9.86 on May 18. No 200s yet. In 2018 he had run 19.83 by now
                His April 4th place 10.08 has to be concerning.

Last year MN ran his 43.45 in April.
                WCs were in Oct.

They and their coaches will undoubtedly 'fix' this situation, but the look on both their faces after their last outings were not ones of pleasant surprise.

I hope I am waaay out of line in suggesting this, but just reading their attitudes belied a sense of total satisfaction.

Comment

Ima hafta be exceedingly rude and call BS on Noah Lyles's saying he is exceeding his expectations so far this year.

They are both doing 'fine', but they are used to doing a lot more than fine, even this early in the season.

WCs were in Oct.

They and their coaches will undoubtedly 'fix' this situation, but the look on both their faces after their last outings were not ones of pleasant surprise.

I hope I am waaay out of line in suggesting this, but just reading their attitudes belied a sense of total satisfaction.
                  Norman had an abdominal injury at the 2019 Worlds.

Comment

Ima hafta be exceedingly rude and call BS on Noah Lyles's saying he is exceeding his expectations so far this year.

WCs were in Oct.

Anyone who has been watching NL and MN so far this year and says things are going just fine has not been paying attention. MN does not look anything like the MN of 2019. Did the world ever know exactly what the true nature of his injury/illness in 2019 was?

Comment

WCs were in Oct.

And what's with this quote from NL? “Lately I feel like I’ve been overthinking about the start and everything, and everybody’s like, ‘Oh yeah, you gotta put so much emphasis on the start,’ but I’ve been watching a lot of runners, especially like Sha’Carri [Richardson], and it’s more like getting yourself into positions to run fast."

If he wants to keep running the 100, I would say the start is pretty important. And, if he were my athlete, I would want him to listen to me instead of watching S'CR.

Comment

• The key is to be 110% ready for the Trials within the end of June, not before. I think that being among the top 3 in the100m will be a difficult challenge for NL. I see Micah Williams on the box. Or very close. Impressive powerful young sprinter.
                        Last edited by 79; 05-15-2021, 08:23 AM.

Comment

• Azusa: mHT, Sean Donnelly with 3 good throws: 76.28/250-3, F, 77.88/255-6 (PR), F, F, 77.78/255-2 (already had Oly-Q from 2019)
                          Mid-May and Americans are 1-3-4 on world list, and have 4 with the Oly-Q: Still waiting to see McCullough outdoors this year.

Comment

• I haven't been concerned with Norman yet. After he ran his best time in 2019 in his first race, I have been taking his race times this year as a better plan to peak at the right time. Hopefully that will be the case. I'm interested to see if he goes for a double. 100/400 due to the schedule?

Lyles has definitely been perplexing with the three 3 slow 100s and the really bad 200 start. 19.90 is substandard for him, for sure, but considering the start, it ended up ok. The comments about disregarding the start were definitely odd. He already needed to improve there, so I hope he is taking the start seriously. He can make up for a bad start with his late close, but only to a certain point, especially in the 100.

Anyways, I still think Lyles can and should win the 100 and 200. We'll see how it goes.

Comment

• Bromell is a better 100m sprinter than Lyles: super start and great finish. Just my opinion.

Comment

• Originally posted by SoCal45 View Post

Anyone who has been watching NL and MN so far this year and says things are going just fine has not been paying attention. MN does not look anything like the MN of 2019. Did the world ever know exactly what the true nature of his injury/illness in 2019 was?
                                Depends what your definition of “just fine” is. They definitely don’t look their sharpest or in “peak” form.

I get they haven’t blown us away so far.

But, If their training is set to be in high gear at the trials and peak at the Olympics, are they off track to do that?

As a side note, is it more concerning for someone running not as fast as we like OR those who haven’t run AT ALL in their event like McLaughlin/Muhammad?

Last edited by _Jay; 05-15-2021, 02:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X