Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by gh View Post
    I have no doubt that transponders can read a chip to that accuracy, but that's not the sticking point. It's where the transponder is at time of reading, which would almost certainly vary from runner to runner. How do you place a transponder at the start of the torso?
    They would need to define 'torso' for a chip to be used as finish time. Now it can be base of the neck or the shoulder (scapula!).
    I'd like it to be the midpoint of the chest between the collar-bones. Slap a chip there and off we go!
    Alternately, athletes CHOOSE where to put them as OKed by an official.
    . . . then he gets an accomplice to hack the signal and lower his time!

Comment

• Originally posted by gh View Post

I have no doubt that transponders can read a chip to that accuracy, but that's not the sticking point. It's where the transponder is at time of reading, which would almost certainly vary from runner to runner. How do you place a transponder at the start of the torso?
      The issue here is not the finish, as defined in T&F rules; it's intermediate times. It's the difference between the "flash time" at the end of a race and the official time, read off the photo. Intermediate times are not official, except when they decide to put a camera at the 1500 point, for example, during a mile race.
      Cheers,
      Alan Shank

Comment

• Originally posted by Alan Shank View Post

The issue here is not the finish, as defined in T&F rules; it's intermediate times. It's the difference between the "flash time" at the end of a race and the official time, read off the photo. Intermediate times are not official, except when they decide to put a camera at the 1500 point, for example, during a mile race.
        Cheers,
        Alan Shank
        Right, but I think gh's point is that unless you are reading a true photo-finish image, keep such unofficial times to tenths, not hundredths.

Comment

• Originally posted by wamego relays champ View Post

Right, but I think gh's point is that unless you are reading a true photo-finish image, keep such unofficial times to tenths, not hundredths.
          Yes, you are correct, wamego relays champ.

Comment

• There was a real howler on the NBC telecast. They showed the Manhattan skyline viewed from Staten Island and one of the commentators (not sure who) said that Manhattan was just a stone's throw from where the meet was. In fact, Manhattan is 29km (18 miles) from Staten Island, and Ocean Breeze is even more distant--it's on the South coast of Staten Island. I'd like to know how heavy that stone was and who was throwing it. 😉

Comment

• Originally posted by tandfman View Post
              There was a real howler on the NBC telecast.
              I think it was funny to a NYer, but to the rest of us, it's just a hop and a jump!

Comment

There was a real howler on the NBC telecast. They showed the Manhattan skyline viewed from Staten Island and one of the commentators (not sure who) said that Manhattan was just a stone's throw from where the meet was. In fact, Manhattan is 29km (18 miles) from Staten Island, and Ocean Breeze is even more distant--it's on the South coast of Staten Island. I'd like to know how heavy that stone was and who was throwing it. 😉
                Randy Barnes perhaps!

Comment

• Originally posted by Trickstat View Post
                  But an outdoor 3000 is an off distance.....
                  It's not an Oly distance, but it seems to be run a lot!

Comment

• Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                    I think it was funny to a NYer, but to the rest of us, it's just a hop and a jump!
                    https://brilliantmaps.com/new-yorkers-world/

Comment

• Staten Island might as well be another state relative to NYC, so stones throw is a compliment to the boro.

Comment

• My map must be broken, because as the crow flies it's less than 10 miles from OB to Manhattan.

Comment

• You may be right. Mr. G got me to this: https://www.distancefromto.net/dista...aten-island-us

But looking at that site closely, it seems that they're measuring the distance from mid-town Manhattan, not from its Southern tip.

🙁

Comment

• It's still a Zeleznyesque throw of a stone!

Comment

You may be right. Mr. G got me to this: https://www.distancefromto.net/dista...aten-island-us

But looking at that site closely, it seems that they're measuring the distance from mid-town Manhattan, not from its Southern tip.

🙁
                              Yea they just literally put pins in the center of Manhattan and the center of Staten Island. Ocean Breeze is all the way up by the Verrazano Bridge, not central or south Staten Island.
                              Last edited by ATK; 02-16-2021, 04:31 PM.

Comment

• As one who spent a lot of time crossing both the Verrazzano to/from Brooklyn and further into Manhattan and the Ferry from Battery Park to St. George, a stones throw is appropriate. It isn't that far. Anyone from Brooklyn treats Staten Island as a second home since half of them have relatives there and Manhattan just isn't that far away. Maybe Queens, The Bronx and LI residents see Staten Island as some sort of foreign territory but they can be an odd bunch anyway.

Comment

Working...
                                X