Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How about a WC in its place if OG are cancelled?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How about a WC in its place if OG are cancelled?

    If the OG are definitely out, could (probably not) the WA simply ask Tokyo to host a 2021 T&F WC in the same time frame?
    Certainly Tokyo could handle a T&F WC, esp. if it were truncated a bit in entries.

    Just a thought as we near the go/no-go decision date.

    There's probably a gazillion reasons why not, but where there's a will there's a way. The facilities are ready and they could save some of the HOOOJ financial loss that a cnx OG entails.

  • #2
    Tokyo: "Olympics are Cancelled"

    WA: "how about host a T&F championships?"
    FINA: "how about host a swimming championships?"
    FIG: "how about host a gymnastics championships?"
    UCI "how about host a cycling championships?"
    etc...
    etc...
    etc...

    sounds like the making of another Olympics to me

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Atticus View Post
      If the OG are definitely out, could (probably not) the WA simply ask Tokyo to host a 2021 T&F WC in the same time frame?
      ...
      with public opinion already running against an Olympics, you think the Japanese populace wants thousands of gaijin coming in for something as meaningless (relatively speaking) as a track WC? It is to laugh.

      Comment


      • #4
        Tokyo doing a WCs after the Olympics getting the axe? I think that would go over like a lead balloon there.. still an influx of visitors also...

        PS...(I see gh beat me to this point.)

        However I was thinking along the same lines but in Eugene... Oregon should be pretty safe with vaccines but even here you are really pushing the envelope and hoping all goes according to plan. Still too risky...and we are months ahead of Japan at this point.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by ATK View Post
          Tokyo: "Olympics are Cancelled"
          WA: "how about host a T&F championships?"
          FINA: "how about host a swimming championships?"
          FIG: "how about host a gymnastics championships?"
          UCI "how about host a cycling championships?
          sounds like the making of another Olympics to me
          With a huge difference. No Ceremonies, no Village, no intermixing of athletes. Minmal spectators. Just each sport staying to itself and conducting its business.

          Originally posted by gh View Post
          with public opinion already running against an Olympics, you think the Japanese populace wants thousands of gaijin coming in for something as meaningless (relatively speaking) as a track WC? It is to laugh.
          This is NOT a 10000 person event. It is some (not all sports would even want to try) championships that will keep to themselves.
          There would NOT be a lot of spectators, and only those who have been vaccinated.

          As I said, there are plenty of reasons NOT to do it, but virtually all objections could be addressed.

          Comment


          • #6
            Not going to happen in Tokyo.

            Comment


            • #7
              Me and my blog have been advocates of an ANNUAL Track & Field World Championships!
              My main argument remains the same--
              MLB, NBA, NFL, all have yearly championships!
              Collegiate Basketball, Indy 500, Kentucky Derby & the Triple Crown!!
              Doesn't EVERY sport---EXCEPT T&F!!!--have EVERY YEAR Championships---not including the past Covid year??

              Keep the Olympics every 4 years also??
              Sure, but make T&F just a segment of it---not the be all-end all of most elite arthlete's careers!!
              In years when both the WC & OG are on the calendar, athletes would either choose between them---or do both!!
              Everyone says the OG is too big!
              So why continue it as is?
              Last edited by aaronk; 02-14-2021, 03:04 AM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                This is NOT a 10000 person event. It is some (not all sports would even want to try) championships that will keep to themselves.
                There would NOT be a lot of spectators, and only those who have been vaccinated.
                Doha had almost 2000 athletes participate. Thats not including coaches, trainers, agents, media. etc.

                Also there is no scenario where an athletics governing body wants to deal with the PR of purchasing thousands of vaccines for elite athletes (and staff) to attend a sporting event while billions or people in non-western countries barely have access to testing let alone a vaccine.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by ATK View Post
                  Tokyo: "Olympics are Cancelled"

                  WA: "how about host a T&F championships?"
                  FINA: "how about host a swimming championships?"
                  FIG: "how about host a gymnastics championships?"
                  UCI "how about host a cycling championships?"
                  etc...
                  etc...
                  etc...

                  sounds like the making of another Olympics to me
                  1. Japan has much better medal chances at gymnastics and swimming.
                  2. Track & Field involve athletes from more countries than both gymnastics and swimming.

                  So if Japan (the OOC?) can prioritize sports, T&F is at least behind those two. And we haven't even considered some niche sports (Judo, for example) where Japanese athletes are expected to get medals.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
                    Tokyo doing a WCs after the Olympics getting the axe? I think that would go over like a lead balloon there.. still an influx of visitors also...

                    PS...(I see gh beat me to this point.)

                    However I was thinking along the same lines but in Eugene... Oregon should be pretty safe with vaccines but even here you are really pushing the envelope and hoping all goes according to plan. Still too risky...and we are months ahead of Japan at this point.
                    As I wrote on another thread, China may want to host it just for the bragging rights over Japan.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by aaronk View Post
                      Me and my blog have been advocates of an ANNUAL Track & Field World Championships!
                      My main argument remains the same--
                      MLB, NBA, NFL, all have yearly championships!
                      Collegiate Basketball, Indy 500, Kentucky Derby & the Triple Crown!!
                      Doesn't EVERY sport---EXCEPT T&F!!!--have EVERY YEAR Championships---not including the past Covid year??
                      I think swimming and many of the winter sports have World Champs every 2 years.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        aaronk does have a point. There are two great challenges to holding an annual Athletics Championships (even if you skip the Olympic year). The first is the cost associated with this. I am not sure how many cities would be vying to host them. It would probably end up being an event rotated between a handful of venues. The second challenge would be the impact on the annual schedule for existing meets.

                        I would like to see this idea grow legs, but I fear it will not.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by TN1965 View Post

                          As I wrote on another thread, China may want to host it just for the bragging rights over Japan.
                          So they can be boycotted twice!

                          China is going to have enough political problems on the Winter games with their concentration camps getting attention....

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by KevinR View Post
                            aaronk does have a point. There are two great challenges to holding an annual Athletics Championships (even if you skip the Olympic year). The first is the cost associated with this. I am not sure how many cities would be vying to host them. It would probably end up being an event rotated between a handful of venues. The second challenge would be the impact on the annual schedule for existing meets.

                            I would like to see this idea grow legs, but I fear it will not.
                            An annual WCs would be workable if was just the elites and a 5 day affair at the end of the season.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post

                              An annual WCs would be workable if was just the elites and a 5 day affair at the end of the season.
                              but with 200+ federations that demand to be part of things, that will never happen, as wondrous as it might be

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X