X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atticus
    replied
    Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
    Otoh suppose it is a trivial amount....will some drop out....
    ?!?!
    It's still the same race they signed up to with NO pay guarantees. It's in their DNA to finish a race they are able to.

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    Yeah, cuz GoFundMe never works (arch sarcasm).
    If they can't get sponsors, they have two options, 1) quit, 2) think of alternate ways to pay the athletes.This is an excellent idea.
    I don't know how much they'll raise, but it certainly is worth a try!
    I'd go with gambling to make it work..... as the GameStop nonsense showed there are lots of idiots with way too much time and money who would love to throw boatloads of cash at something like this...

I wonder if there is a legal way to do it....

Leave a comment:

• gm
    replied
    Cuz the athlete will get maybe 5% of that profit, and hopefully the athletes here will get much more!
    Not what I meant. I don't see how chipping in $10 or more is any more expensive than dropping a benjy on a shirt. I would rather give the money to the athlete directly, as in the Ten idea.

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    The dynamics on the race on the amount raised could be interesting....suppose it is a gigantic amount...a blood battle to the end...Otoh suppose it is a trivial amount....will some drop out....

Here is a situation where I could see where betting would work...and make it a lot more interesting and raise alot more money....and it wouldn't look like a gofundme handout.
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 02-16-2021, 09:09 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Originally posted by gm View Post
    I don't see much difference in that versus buying an overpriced jersey with the athlete's name on it.
    Cuz the athlete will get maybe 5% of that profit, and hopefully the athletes here will get much more!

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Anyways the takeaway is they can't get any kind of sponsor.
    Yeah, cuz GoFundMe never works (arch sarcasm).
    If they can't get sponsors, they have two options, 1) quit, 2) think of alternate ways to pay the athletes.This is an excellent idea.
    I don't know how much they'll raise, but it certainly is worth a try!

Leave a comment:

• gm
    replied
    I don't see much difference in that versus buying an overpriced jersey with the athlete's name on it.

Leave a comment:

• ATK
    replied
    Wow, that's your take? I saw it as an opportunity for fans to put their money where their fandom SHOULD be directed - into under-paid athletes' pockets.
    That was my thought. Regardless if someone is already getting paid/sponsored or not, fans being able to contribute to see their favorite athletes run/jump/throw is a great idea.

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    Wow, that's your take? I saw it as an opportunity for fans to put their money where their fandom SHOULD be directed - into under-paid athletes' pockets.
    Underpaid?...Drew Hunter has a 10 year contract with Adidas...

Anyways the takeaway is they can't get any kind of sponsor....same with the ATL meets...that doesn't sound good....and they are advertising it....

If they can get a lot of contributions fine....but even then more of a one off....

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    I'd pay to see (in early May), just USA

Men

100 - Lyles, Baker, Bromell
    200 - Lyles, Norman, Boling
    400 - Norman, Boling, Robinson
    800 - Brazier, Hoppel
    1500 - Centro, Teare, Hocker !
    110H - Holloway, Roberts (where is he?), Mallett
    400H - Benjamin, . . . never mind, no contest
    PV - Kendricks, Lightfoot, Nilsen
    TJ - CT, Claye
    SP - I can wait till summer; I've seen what I've needed to see!

Women
    [Seems like there's fewer marquee match-ups here]

800 - Wilson, Rogers (where's she?), Mu
    1500 or 5000 - Houlihan, Purrier, Simpson
    400H - Muhammad, Syd (pay double!)
    TJ - Orji, Franklin, Moore

Leave a comment:

• gm
    replied
    I think it's a great idea, and would pay for a shot put matchup between 5-6 of our best!

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    begging money from the public because no one else will put it up.

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    I don't know what to think of that. Seems rather pathetic....begging money from the public because no one else will
    put it up. Sounds like something from the 1930s.

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    started a topic The TEN

The TEN

What a brilliant idea! Home page linked article on a meet with 10K races that YOU CAN CONTRIBUTE prize money to. I just threw in $10, and I'm not even primarily a distance fan.
    Women - Marielle Hall, Gwen Jorgensen, Karissa Schweizer, Elise Cranny, Kim Conley, Emily Infeld, Eilish McColgan
    Men - Grant Fisher, Ben True, Woody Kincaid, Edward Cheserek, Chris Derrick, Marc Scott, Kieran Tuntivate, Reid Buchanan
Working...
X