Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They are going to have to line up and run in a big crowd. I'm not sure how many women would drop the 10,000m to run the 5,000m only.

Comment

In 1986 Britain had their first UK 10,000 championship for women.....lapped runners got the boot...they ended up with 4 finishers.

Comment

The lapped runner idea may work in limiting the field if some on the slower end of the qualifiers don't wish to get yanked.

Comment

Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post
          They are going to have to line up and run in a big crowd. I'm not sure how many women would drop the 10,000m to run the 5,000m only.
          Enough for gold, silver and bronze

So no problem

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
            Too harsh for the OT.
            Why is that too harsh?
            The OT is about qualifying for the USA team, lapped and you aint going to make it, so what's the problem

Comment

Originally posted by Tuariki View Post
              Why is that too harsh?
              The OT is about qualifying for the USA team, lapped and you aint going to make it, so what's the problem
              Well, that IS one way to look at it.

Comment

Tell me if I'm wrong, but INdoor 200, 300 & 400 races have been divided into 2 or 3 "sections" due to the smaller track!
                They're called "2-section Finals"!
                A "B" race for the 10K's could be labeled a "2-section Final"!
                OUTdoor races starting in lanes (800) do the same.

So let's say 50 women qualify fof the 10K.
                Have two sections with 25 runners each!

Then the only decision is how to divide the field!
                By seed time?
                Evenly, with the 20 fastest seeds divided, with 10 going in each section?
                (The remaining 30 or so would be similarly divided!!
                OR......go by seed time only.
                The slowest 25 in "section 2" (but run first!), the fastest 25 i n "section 1",(but run last!)??

ADD--
                The slower section would be inspired to run faster!
                The faster section would know what's needed to be Top 3!
                You'd (in a perfect scenario!) get two great races not inhibited by "strategy"!!
                Last edited by aaronk; 02-23-2021, 03:19 PM.

Comment

Seed time would be a terrible idea. Just let them run in one big pack.

Comment

Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post
                    Seed time would be a terrible idea. Just let them run in one big pack.
                    See what Becca (PVP) says in her initial post!

B final seems like the best solution if the field becomes way too large to run all at once. That would be safer, both in terms of being able to run a clean race, and in terms of athletes having to breathe in each others' faces

Comment

Originally posted by Tuariki View Post

Why is that too harsh?
                      Indeed...unless one runner laps the field ...Which is what almost happened at the 1986 UK women's Championships...

A B race would be absurd in the Trials...
                      Last edited by Conor Dary; 02-23-2021, 06:08 PM.

Comment

Much as I don't like a B-race, it's a heckuvalot better than pulling people off the track at the OLYMPIC TRIALS or having a 30+ Final.
                        So my vote goes to the B-race.
                        The good news is that since it would go first, they would HAVE to run a hard pace, which would then force the A-race to go at least that fast . . a great benefit.
                        Come to think of it, there needs to be a B-race for the finals of the 1500 up, for the very same reason!!

Comment

There are nine 48-inch lanes at the new Hayward Field.

Comment

Originally posted by aaronk View Post

See what Becca (PVP) says in her initial post!

B final seems like the best solution if the field becomes way too large to run all at once. That would be safer, both in terms of being able to run a clean race, and in terms of athletes having to breathe in each others' faces
                            Breathing in each others faces? Whether it is 25 or 50 athletes that is not changing. As far as seeding them, how do you do that by time for an event in which the standards have been in place for a long time. An athlete who qualifies for the trials by beating the standard by a little bit but without pressing is going to be "punished" by ending up in a 2nd section because of a reason not anticipated. The track is wide enough. Put 'em out there and let them run. They'll all end up where they belong.

Comment

Originally posted by gm View Post
                              There are nine 48-inch lanes at the new Hayward Field.
                              That doesn't sound very relevant in a 10,000....

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                                Much as I don't like a B-race, it's a heckuvalot better than pulling people off the track at the OLYMPIC TRIALS or having a 30+ Final.
                                So my vote goes to the B-race.
                                The good news is that since it would go first, they would HAVE to run a hard pace, which would then force the A-race to go at least that fast . . a great benefit.
                                Come to think of it, there needs to be a B-race for the finals of the 1500 up, for the very same reason!!
                                I like it.

Comment

Working...
                                X