Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For future years in the distances, perhaps set a very high standard for automatic qualifying, keeping the field small. Then, to fill out the remainder of the available spots in the Trials race, just go down the performance list from the pertinent qualifying period. It won't impact this year, but it is a potential solution for future years.

Comment

lapped runners were pulled from the track in NCAA 6M10Ks until the mid-'70s.

Comment

Originally posted by KevinR View Post
        For future years in the distances, perhaps set a very high standard for automatic qualifying, keeping the field small. Then, to fill out the remainder of the available spots in the Trials race, just go down the performance list from the pertinent qualifying period. It won't impact this year, but it is a potential solution for future years.
        That has been the idea all along. Something (no hints) made it easier to hit that standard this time around. Same standard in 2016 elicited 26 qualifiers for women, two of whom scratched.

Comment

Originally posted by aaronk View Post
          Tell me if I'm wrong, but INdoor 200, 300 & 400 races have been divided into 2 or 3 "sections" due to the smaller track!
          They're called "2-section Finals"!
          A "B" race for the 10K's could be labeled a "2-section Final"!
          OUTdoor races starting in lanes (800) do the same.

So let's say 50 women qualify fof the 10K.
          Have two sections with 25 runners each!

Then the only decision is how to divide the field!
          By seed time?
          Evenly, with the 20 fastest seeds divided, with 10 going in each section?
          (The remaining 30 or so would be similarly divided!!
          OR......go by seed time only.
          The slowest 25 in "section 2" (but run first!), the fastest 25 i n "section 1",(but run last!)??

ADD--
          The slower section would be inspired to run faster!
          The faster section would know what's needed to be Top 3!
          You'd (in a perfect scenario!) get two great races not inhibited by "strategy"!!

If too many make the trials - and I mean a range of athletes who scraped in and have not a snowballs in heck's chance, just raise the bar. Make it the top X athletes who go.to the trials. X being the safe number of athletes who can fill a race. Qualifying times are pretty arbitrary.

Make it fit your opportunity. If 50 10K ers make the trials its too soft. If 5 do, it's too hard.

Comment

The 10k should just be a road race with the finish on the track...

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
              lapped runners were pulled from the track in NCAA 6M10Ks until the mid-'70s.
              We are no longer in that era. Could you see it at a contemporary OG/WC?

Comment

Originally posted by mal View Post

If too many make the trials - and I mean a range of athletes who scraped in and have not a snowballs in heck's chance, just raise the bar. Make it the top X athletes who go.to the trials. X being the safe number of athletes who can fill a race. Qualifying times are pretty arbitrary.

Make it fit your opportunity. If 50 10K ers make the trials its too soft. If 5 do, it's too hard.
                A few years back the USOC made a rule that anybody who has an Oly Games qualifier can't be excluded from the OT (there was contention over men's 100 one year as I recall).

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post

A few years back the USOC made a rule that anybody who has an Oly Games qualifier can't be excluded from the OT (there was contention over men's 100 one year as I recall).
                  The Olympic 10k qualifier is 31:25.....I don't think that is the problem.

The Olympics qualifying time should be the standard....if the field is short add a few to make it 16.

Last edited by Conor Dary; 02-24-2021, 02:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post

We are no longer in that era. Could you see it at a contemporary OG/WC?
                    No but in an OT why not?

Comment

Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post

No but in an OT why not?
                      It could violate the Amateur Sports Act. In theory, those lapped runners still have a chance of making the team.

Comment

Originally posted by polevaultpower View Post

It could violate the Amateur Sports Act. In theory, those lapped runners still have a chance of making the team.
                        In that case...one race with all qualifiers. Everything else makes little sense, can't be adjusted at this late date, ends up in a courtroom or some combo of all three.

As an aside, where did this originate and from whom?

Comment

Ladies & Gentlemen, I present to you the 10,000m Thunderdome! 42 go in, and 3 come out!

Comment

Originally posted by KevinR View Post
                            Ladies & Gentlemen, I present to you the 10,000m Thunderdome! 42 go in, and 3 come out!
                            Hey, let's make it like a no-holds-barred Roller Derby!
                            With 40-50 women running, you probably won't have more than 10 standing at the finish!
                            But you'll need lots of people with stretchers to cart the fallen off the field of battle!!
                            LOL

Comment

If the Trials actually happen...I think a 10,000 with over 40 runners could be rather entertaining....

Certainly those without the Oly standard of 31:25 will want a fast pace...But from past experience that isn't a given. In 2012 only 3 women had the qualifying standard... and yet the field strolled along as if that was irrelevant until much too late.

Comment

Should be ample time and space and money to construct a 50-lane track and have everyone run in their lane all the way. (JUST KIDDING!) Seems like 2 heats with random seeding would be a reasonable way to go. Of course, stuff happens, like a rain delay before the second heat and then, when it is actually run, the conditions are quite different from the first heat.

Comment

Working...
                                X