Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Steele View Post
    "There's no such thing as a free lunch."
    Yeah because training as a world class athlete is so easy... coaching, travel, equipment, diet....such slackers.
    Last edited by beebee; 07-15-2021, 04:53 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by beebee View Post

Yeah because training as a world class athlete is so easy... coaching, travel, equipment, diet....such slackers.
      No one said they don't need it. What has been said is none of these athletes is entitled any money by any private or public entity.
      If they can get it (and they can, we're talking 30% cut on xxxxxx$ amounts) good for them. If they can't, no one has any obligation to pay (or you can do it).
      By the way I'm rather in favor of supporting athletes who absolutely need the money just to do their job (xxxxx$), but for top athletes like A.F, it is a big joke. They earn loads of cash in comparison with most others.

To be fair, although I don't agree with her initial take on Nike, I fully support her actions in relation with the fund. That's a positive way to react.
      As far as Nike is concerned, they seem to be reducing their investment in T&F, which is easy for them and doesn't need justification.
      Who wins at the end..?

Comment

• Originally posted by ATK View Post

Umm this sounds very much like "shut up and dribble" comment.
        Exactly.

Comment

• Originally posted by beebee View Post

In 2021 I see nothing wrong with USA's Track and Field governing body's offering needed assistance to single mothers training hard to try and represent the country.
          There would be nothing wrong at all with doing it, but in your previous post you said they SHOULD provide it. I don't see it as an obligation on their part.
          Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

• Is Nike unique in it's treatment of pregnant women, or do New Balance, Adidas and Puma have the same policies?

Comment

One man's whiner is another man's advocate. It's all in the eyes of the beholder.

Comment

• Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post
                Is Nike unique in it's treatment of pregnant women, or do New Balance, Adidas and Puma have the same policies?
                A few examples on Adidas, Puma and New Balance:

New Balance + Puma:
                https://www.espn.com/espnw/life-styl...hip-motherhood

"1500m runner Sarah Brown was sponsored by New Balance in 2015, when she learned she was pregnant....Brown announced her pregnancy in September of that year -- as well as her intention to run in the July 2016 Olympic trials......While Brown knew that her contract didn't include a reduction clause for pregnancy, "because [the pregnancy] wasn't planned, I was still a little nervous telling them," Brown said. "But their reaction was, 'Congratulations, you're having a baby!' I never felt any negative feelings or anything stemming from that."

"Like New Balance, Puma said they have traditionally supported their athletes throughout pregnancy and postpartum leave."
                "When this first came up, honestly, I was flabbergasted," Adam Petrick, global director of brand and marketing for Puma, said. "When people have babies, they shouldn't be penalized -- and it shouldn't fall into the same category as an injury."

Adidas:
                https://www.runnersworld.com/news/a2...ers-contracts/

"Neely Spence Gracey, a marathoner who represents Adidas, was supported throughout her pregnancy with her son, Athens, who was born in July 2018, and that support has continued....She told her agent, Mark Wetmore with Global Athletics, who called Adidas on her behalf. “They extended their congrats and their continued support,” Spence Gracey said. “Even though my contract says that I have to race [a certain number] of times per year, Adidas hasn’t pressured me at all to return to racing. [My boss at Adidas] told me to make sure that I enjoy being a mom, and to take my time coming back and do it the right way.”

Comment

• Thanks for the info ATK. This sheds some light on why Sydney McLaughlin might have signed with Nike and makes you wonder why Athing Mu, who had similar bargaining power, chose Nike. But remember McLaughlin didn't sign until many months after the NCAA Championships while Mu signed a week after NCAA's.

Comment

Thanks for the info ATK. This sheds some light on why Sydney McLaughlin might have signed with Nike and makes you wonder why Athing Mu, who had similar bargaining power, chose Nike. But remember McLaughlin didn't sign until many months after the NCAA Championships while Mu signed a week after NCAA's.
                    It's tough to determine what goes in to their choices of sponsors knowing how the public perceives Nike vs Adidas vs Puma etc.

Though one point of context are the year's they went pro. 2018 was a non-championship year for McLaughlin, while 2021 is an Olympic year that uncharacteristically had USAs immediately after NCAAs.

Comment

Not at all...this isn't pro basketball players making money for their teams, but track people who if they stopped competing tomorrow few would notice.

If the only news the public hears about Nike and track is how horrible the company is why would Nike bother with the sport anymore. They don't need it. Which is why Nike leadership has changed lately from the pro track to the who needs it crowd. Be careful what you wish for.

The other companies involvement in the sport is peanuts compared to Nike.
                      Last edited by Conor Dary; 07-15-2021, 04:26 PM.

Comment

It's tough to determine what goes in to their choices of sponsors knowing how the public perceives Nike vs Adidas vs Puma etc..
                        We don't know whether these athletes even had any competing offers and if so, what the terms offered were compared to Nike's.
                        Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

• Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post

Not at all...this isn't pro basketball players making money for their teams, but track people who if they stopped competing tomorrow few would notice.

If the only news the public hears about Nike and track is how horrible the company is why would Nike bother with the sport anymore. They don't need it. Which is why Nike leadership has changed lately from the pro track to the who needs it crowd. Be careful what you wish for.

The other companies involvement in the sport is peanuts compared to Nike.
                          So Allyson Felix should stop (in your words) "whining" about her real life situation because her sponsor is one of the biggest company involved in the sport?

Again, you telling her to shut up and dribble (run) so that Nike can keep pumping money into the sport.

If a company can't treat a sport's athletes fairly, then they shouldn't be involved.
                          Last edited by ATK; 07-15-2021, 04:40 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Powell View Post

We don't know whether these athletes even had any competing offers and if so, what the terms offered were compared to Nike's.
                            I don't think it's plausible that McLaughlin and Mu only had one offer on the table.

Comment

So Allyson Felix should stop (in your words) "whining" about her real life situation because her sponsor is one of the biggest company involved in the sport?

Again, you telling her to shut up and dribble (run) so that Nike can keep pumping money into the sport.

If a company can't treat a sport's athletes fairly, then they shouldn't be involved.
                              At this point I couldn't care less what Nike does. Knight already built the greatest track stadium ever 3 miles from my house.

Professional track is barely a thing these days. With the withdrawal of Nike on a large scale it will be gruesome...but you will get your wish.

Of course they can complain but you would think there would be some acknowledgement for what Nike has done for the sport, which is keeping it above water. But that will soon end and then watch.

Comment

I don't think it's plausible that McLaughlin and Mu only had one offer on the table.
                                That is probably where the sport is heading...sponsor a handful who may generate interest in the general public and forget the rest.

Comment

Working...
                                X