Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In praise of Allyson Felix

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
    Professional track is barely a thing these days.
    You keep saying that, but the sport I follow here (aka pro track) is very alive and well. It'll never again be what it was in your day, but the sport today is just what I think it should be.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
      you would think there would be some acknowledgement for what Nike has done for the sport
      No.

      But anyway, your opinion seems to be solid, so I'll leave it there.
      Last edited by ATK; 07-15-2021, 05:12 PM.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post

        Not at all...this isn't pro basketball players making money for their teams, but track people who if they stopped competing tomorrow few would notice.

        If the only news the public hears about Nike and track is how horrible the company is why would Nike bother with the sport anymore. They don't need it. Which is why Nike leadership has changed lately from the pro track to the who needs it crowd. Be careful what you wish for.

        The other companies involvement in the sport is peanuts compared to Nike.
        I think letting Felix go was a marketing blunder for Nike. See how much media coverage she is getting in recent days. All that publicity could have belonged to a Nike athlete. And I thought cutting Meb before his Boston win was bad enough...

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
          Be careful what you wish for.
          Be happy with what your getting!!!!

          This is my father complaining about Koufax and Drysdale holding out for the unheard of amount of $100,000/yr from the Dodgers. "They should be happy anyone pays them anything to play a sport!!!"

          Comment


          • Originally posted by TN1965 View Post
            I think letting Felix go was a marketing blunder for Nike. See how much media coverage she is getting in recent days. All that publicity could have belonged to a Nike athlete. And I thought cutting Meb before his Boston win was bad enough...
            Media coverage? ..the baby thing at the Trials perhaps, but who knew or cared who sponsored her. It is all ephemeral for a track athlete soon forgotten after the Olympics these days.

            Track is at best a footnote in Nike sports.....more like Knight's hobby than anything else. Track will surely miss Nike....Nike will miss track like people miss a sore tooth.
            Last edited by Conor Dary; 07-15-2021, 06:04 PM.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
              It is all ephemeral for a track athlete soon forgotten after the Olympics these days.
              Sorry to hear your memory is failing you.
              She will be well remembered by the rest of us.

              Comment


              • I can't name more than three or four current NBA players. Companies are obviously wasting their money sponsoring basketball.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by gm View Post
                  I can't name more than three or four current NBA players. Companies are obviously wasting their money sponsoring basketball.
                  For baseball, I've got Trout and Harper, then I'm tapped out.
                  Whether I want to or not, I can name NFL players, who dominate the media here.

                  When we watch the Olympics, how many teams will have very similar Nike jerseys?
                  Last edited by Atticus; 07-15-2021, 09:02 PM.

                  Comment


                  • Here is a nice collection of photos.

                    The best images of U.S. Olympic track star Allyson Felix through the years (yahoo.com)

                    Comment


                    • Why Olympic women athletes have often left Nike (yahoo.com)

                      “They want to be individually marketed to and I think that the Nikes of the world are still thinking about wide mainstream appeal,” Cox, whose current research includes girls and women's basketball, told Yahoo Sports. “And that wide mainstream appeal is always a certain kind of body that is positioned as kind of the dominant, normative kind of way of thinking."

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by TN1965 View Post
                        Why Olympic women athletes have often left Nike (yahoo.com)

                        “And that wide mainstream appeal is always a certain kind of body that is positioned as kind of the dominant, normative kind of way of thinking."[/I]
                        Word-salad nonsense. Just a string of barely related words.

                        You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by scottmitchell74 View Post

                          Word-salad nonsense. Just a string of barely related words.
                          OK boomer.

                          Comment


                          • Out of curiosity, why does USC Track and Field claim Felix as a former Trojan? I know I have seen it in previous years as well, but in the lead up to the Olympics they have been hyping up the likes of Muhammad, Norman, Benjamin DeGrasse etc. But they are also including Felix as if she ran for the track team team as opposed to just went to school there.

                            Did I miss something about her college years? Or maybe she was a volunteer coach?

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by ATK View Post
                              Out of curiosity, why does USC Track and Field claim Felix as a former Trojan? I know I have seen it in previous years as well, but in the lead up to the Olympics they have been hyping up the likes of Muhammad, Norman, Benjamin DeGrasse etc. But they are also including Felix as if she ran for the track team team as opposed to just went to school there.

                              Did I miss something about her college years? Or maybe she was a volunteer coach?
                              Strictly academic. She got her degree from USC.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by ATK View Post
                                But they are also including Felix as if she ran for the track team team as opposed to just went to school there.
                                Do they say that, or are you inferring that?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X