X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ATK
    • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    The comms made it pretty clear that they had talked to her and it's the 200.
    Any Link? It wasn't in her broadcast interviews this weekend.

She very well could (and might) only run the 200m, and making the individual team may be easier than the individual 400m, but it seems like a tough gamble.
    4th in the 200m = possibly nothing. 6th in the 400m = 2 guaranteed Olympic medals.
    Last edited by ATK; 02-24-2021, 04:56 PM.

Comment

• Atticus
      • Jul 2014
      • on task

Originally posted by ATK View Post
      It was in the 'banter' part of the commentary.

Comment

• ATK
        • Jun 2009

It was in the 'banter' part of the commentary.
        Fair enough, ill take your (the commentators) word for it!

Granted, I still think she will enter and run the 400m & 200m at trials.

Comment

• NotDutra5
          • Jul 2014
          • Right next to a Gator filled pond

She very well could (and might) only run the 200m, and making the individual team may be easier than the individual 400m, but it seems like a tough gamble.
          4th in the 200m = possibly nothing. 6th in the 400m = 2 guaranteed Olympic medals.
          I think she would have to run awful in the OTs to not make a relay spot. While at this point I think a relay spot is going to be earned and we could have 2 hurdlers, a 200m runner and one 400m runner on the 4x400m, Felix is part of the NBC buildup to the Olympics and the pressure to have her in there somewhere is likely to be pretty strong.

Comment

• ATK
            • Jun 2009

Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post

I think she would have to run awful in the OTs to not make a relay spot. While at this point I think a relay spot is going to be earned and we could have 2 hurdlers, a 200m runner and one 400m runner on the 4x400m, Felix is part of the NBC buildup to the Olympics and the pressure to have her in there somewhere is likely to be pretty strong.
            I pretty much agree. In Doha, I think one of the first shots (if not the first shot) after Jonathas crossed the finish line in the 4x4 was of Felix watching in the stands.

But honestly, I can imagine a bunch of scenarios where Felix barely misses the team (4th, 5th, or 6th in a close 200m finish). And her being the respectful, caring and thoughtful role model as she has been her entire career, allows a younger athlete to get the chance to run on the relay even if USATF/NBC say she can be on the team.

Comment

• Atticus
              • Jul 2014
              • on task

Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post
              Which is why we have the Mixed 4x4, so we can trot out some names for mass enjoyment!

Comment

• Powell
                • Oct 2005
                • right here

If she gets top 6 in the 400m at trials, she leaves Eugene essentially with 2 more Olympic medals (mixed relay & 4x4).
                How so? I suppose all top 400 runners will be interested in the mixed relay and it will be 4 at most who will get to compete.
                Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

• ATK
                  • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Powell View Post

How so? I suppose all top 400 runners will be interested in the mixed relay and it will be 4 at most who will get to compete.
                  Top 6 in the 400m puts you in the pool for the relays and they have the mixed and regular 4x4 in Tokyo. So it will be the same situation as Doha. Felix runs the mixed relay and (at least) the prelims of the 4x4. Ofcourse unless something drastic happens, US will win both relays with ease. Also, the rules for relays seem to have changed in 2019 where the prelim team can be 4 completely different athletes than the final team (in Doha 16 women got gold medals in the mixed relay and 4x4). Someone can check if this will hold true for the Olympics as well? If so, it makes it even easier for her.

As NotDutra alluded to, this is Allyson Felix. I'm really not sure there is a bigger name in American T&F right now, man or woman. Having her on the screen as much as possible all throughout 2021 is probably a dream for networks (NBC) and probably USATF and WA as well. And honestly, the way she has not only dominated on the track, but also been a role model for respect, sportsmanship, etc. she deserves to go out on top. As unrealistic it may be, I would love to see her win an individual gold in Tokyo and retire a solidified legend (though she really already is).

Comment

• TF4Ever
                    • Sep 2014
                    • Here

Despite what Ato Boldon announced and others are saying, AF returning to the 200 and leaving the 400 is mere speculation at this point.

Comment

• Wiederganger
                      • Jul 2019

Is she...isn't she...is she....isn't she...on top of running good times, it's a sure fire way to keep your name in the mouths of the press!

I've tried to find the schedule for the Trials, but can't seem to get it, what is a 200/400 double looking like, presumably the 400 is first? I guess the consideration there is tiredness after the 400m.

Comment

• 18.99s
                        • Nov 2011

I figure she'll run one or two 400m races to evaluate her chances and then decide from there. She hasn't run sub-51 since 2017, and she'll probably want a good gauge of where she is in the 400m before deciding to make it her focus.

Comment

• Atticus
                          • Jul 2014
                          • on task

Originally posted by TF4Ever View Post
                          Despite what Ato Boldon announced and others are saying, AF returning to the 200 and leaving the 400 is mere speculation at this point.
                          Except he wasn't speculating; he was just reporting what she said. If she wanted to keep her options open, her training would be preparing her for either. It's late in the prep game to NOT know what her end goal is.
                          This 200 time did say that 200 training is going well, and unless she runs a 400 to assess her condition for that race, I would expect the 200 is her choice.

Comment

• NotDutra5
                            • Jul 2014
                            • Right next to a Gator filled pond

Originally posted by TF4Ever View Post
                            Assuming "others" includes Alyson Felix, it isn't speculation at this point.

Comment

• ATK
                              • Jun 2009

Originally posted by 18.99s View Post
                              I figure she'll run one or two 400m races to evaluate her chances and then decide from there. She hasn't run sub-51 since 2017, and she'll probably want a good gauge of where she is in the 400m before deciding to make it her focus.
                              To be fair, she hasn't exactly had any "normal" years since then. 2018 she was pregnant, 2019 coming back from child birth, 2020 covid.

Comment

• TF4Ever
                                • Sep 2014
                                • Here

Except he wasn't speculating; he was just reporting what she said. If she wanted to keep her options open, her training would be preparing her for either. It's late in the prep game to NOT know what her end goal is.
                                This 200 time did say that 200 training is going well, and unless she runs a 400 to assess her condition for that race, I would expect the 200 is her choice.
                                Boldon might have been saying what he heard, from whom I do not know, but he was not told this information by AF, Kersee, or her agent. A decision has not been made, but feel free to speculate.

Comment

Working...
                                X