Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ATK View Post
    To be fair, she hasn't exactly had any "normal" years since then. 2018 she was pregnant, 2019 coming back from child birth, 2020 covid.
    All the more reason she'll need one or two races in the 400m to measure where she's at before committing to that distance. After her indoor 22.59 she knows she's in a good place for the 200m, but the 400m is still a big question sign.

Comment

But honestly, I can imagine a bunch of scenarios where Felix barely misses the team (4th, 5th, or 6th in a close 200m finish). And her being the respectful, caring and thoughtful role model as she has been her entire career, allows a younger athlete to get the chance to run on the relay even if USATF/NBC say she can be on the team.
      I think Ms Tarmoh will tell you that whilst Ms Felix might think that, no way her people are allowing her to do so!

Comment

The move back to the 200 is interesting. Definitely her best shot to make the US team, and if she does that without a doubt her best shot at an Olympic medal(if she's close to 22.00).

That being said...

The cynic in me says by running the 200 Felix introduces a heaping helping of staff discretion in her relay utilization, particularly if she does not run an open 400 or 100 prior to the Olympics. Richburg made the right calls in 2019. Will he be allowed to by USATF in Tokyo, especially with NBC breathing down their necks? I'll be watching with narrowed eyes...
        There are no strings on me

Comment

Fair enough, ill take your (the commentators) word for it!

Granted, I still think she will enter and run the 400m & 200m at trials.
          I won't! I'll take AF's word for it. She never said anything about what she would run at OT during the broadcast. No one can produce any evidence because there is none. Ato reported what he has heard and what we should expect. But I do agree with ATK that she will enter and run both, if healthy and if the schedule permits.

On another note, it is "Allyson" and not "Alyson." Can't the moderators make this minor fix.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiederganger View Post
            I've tried to find the schedule for the Trials, but can't seem to get it, what is a 200/400 double looking like, presumably the 400 is first? I guess the consideration there is tiredness after the 400m.
            https://www.usatf.org/news/2019/comp...0-u-s-olympic-

Yes 400m first. Doubles are almost always possible at trials.

Comment

Originally posted by TF4Ever View Post
              On another note, it is "Allyson" and not "Alyson." Can't the moderators make this minor fix.
              It was my mistake, so I fixed it.

Comment

Yes 400m first. Doubles are almost always possible at trials.
                Another reason to pass - dead(er) legs for her primary event.

Comment

Sorry, I'm just not convinced she will only run 200m.

Regardless, we probably wont know anything 100% until the entry lists are released in mid June!
                  Last edited by ATK; 02-26-2021, 01:34 AM.

Comment

At 35, she can still be in her prime everywhere but in her head. Wondering whether she can do both events 100% will steer her to the 200 (in my perhaps misguided opinion).

Comment

Do most here feel the 3 days off between 400m final and 200m 1st round not sufficient for Allyson Felix to double?

Comment

Originally posted by SoCal45 View Post
                        Do most here feel the 3 days off between 400m final and 200m 1st round not sufficient for Allyson Felix to double?
                        It would seem like an eternity to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                          At 35, she can still be in her prime everywhere but in her head. Wondering whether she can do both events 100% will steer her to the 200 (in my perhaps misguided opinion).
                          See, I see it the other way around. Like many of us, in our heads we are still the youngsters in our twenties, but physically, we sure aint!

She's managed a long career with very few serious injuries, racing very smartly and sparingly most seasons. She's been able to protect her body, but the hard training required for Olympics shape, especially after relatively light seasons these last few years, could be the biggest hurdle at this age. She needs to train smart and choose her races wisely, as she always does. But that can mean not getting the feel of the 400m, so itself is always a risk. But better to be uninjured and not race fit, than injured!

Looking at everyone's points, I think I agree that she will enter both events, and then decide during the trials. Which could itself mean scratching from the 400m, or even run one round and pull out or whatever. But she'll be in that 200m.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiederganger View Post
                            See, I see it the other way around. Like many of us, in our heads we are still the youngsters in our twenties, but physically, we sure aint!
                            But doubt about their bodies doesn't enter the head of someone in their 20s. It sure may at 35.

Comment

Originally posted by SoCal45 View Post
                              It SHOULD be, but it's 'the double' that she must contend with and her primary event being second, so even the thought of injury creeps in.

Comment

Originally posted by guru View Post
                                The move back to the 200 is interesting. Definitely her best shot to make the US team, and if she does that without a doubt her best shot at an Olympic medal(if she's close to 22.00).

That being said...

The cynic in me says by running the 200 Felix introduces a heaping helping of staff discretion in her relay utilization, particularly if she does not run an open 400 or 100 prior to the Olympics. Richburg made the right calls in 2019. Will he be allowed to by USATF in Tokyo, especially with NBC breathing down their necks? I'll be watching with narrowed eyes...
                                that's not cynicism, it's a very real factor in the equation; recognizing when a superstar is fading is one of the toughest calls in any sport. (not that we have yet to see this year at what level is still able to perform)

Comment

Working...
                                X