Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do the WC relay rules apply to the Olympics as well where a country can use 4 different athletes between the prelims and finals?

Comment

at least 2 who run in the heats need to run in the final

Comment

Got it, so more restrictive than Doha.

I wonder if external parties (NBC, USATF etc.) are doing any "lobbying" to her coach & agent to push her in a direction that ensures they benefit.

Comment

I was definitely encouraged by Felix's performances last weekend. I expected something like 7.35 in the 60 and 23.2 in the 200, so when I saw that 22.59, I was floored. (Her start and first few steps were fairly atrocious, though).

She typically peaks well so if she stays healthy, I definitely see her in 22-low shape by trials and that could be enough to make the team and maybe even medal if some of the younger big guns don't deliver. The 400 feels safer, though, and I can actually see a path (however narrow) to gold for her there.

Has this sport ever given an outstanding athlete with Felix's kind of tenure a happy ending? I certainly hope she gets one, as much as history isn't in her favour.

Comment

Originally posted by AFelixFan View Post
            I was definitely encouraged by Felix's performances last weekend. I expected something like 7.35 in the 60 and 23.2 in the 200, so when I saw that 22.59, I was floored. (Her start and first few steps were fairly atrocious, though).

She typically peaks well so if she stays healthy, I definitely see her in 22-low shape by trials and that could be enough to make the team and maybe even medal if some of the younger big guns don't deliver. The 400 feels safer, though, and I can actually see a path (however narrow) to gold for her there.

Has this sport ever given an outstanding athlete with Felix's kind of tenure a happy ending? I certainly hope she gets one, as much as history isn't in her favour.
            For a given time, an eminently fixable start and first few steps is the best thing; it implies that with go form there it would be as fat as 22.4x. And this is her first racing in how long?

Comment

Originally posted by SoCal45 View Post
              Do most here feel the 3 days off between 400m final and 200m 1st round not sufficient for Allyson Felix to double?
              The thing is. If your main event is the 400 its not too big a deal. In the earlier parts of allysons career the 200 wasnt that strong in America or even the world stage it was just af and vcb. While i dont know everyones form there are alot of women who could be spoilers for allyson should she have 3 400 rounds in her legs especially if she loses the third spot by mere hundredths like in 2016. Girls like Bowie,Steiner, Dejah Stevens,Prandini, Agnellus, Thomas, Richardson et al could pose a real threat. Her international competitors will be her biggest issue. Can Felix beat a healthy smu, asher smith and elaine thompson? Not to mention if schippers shows up in 2015 to 2016 form. If felix makes the team in the 400 i see her as a strong podium contender. With smu out and nasser an uncertainty she is actually a good mesal contender assuming her 22.59i translates thecway one assumes it would have for felix tyoically. ..

Im telling you guys now smu might run a 21.6 to win. Id have said 21.5 if it werent for the two day sched. With a nasserless 400(and smu doin 200only) the quarter mile could be won in 49.3 or higher. Allyson just has to utilize her relative speed and run her best race for this stage of her career. If im not mistaken ahe seemed to have made a late decision to focus on the 400 in 2015 when she pr'ed in both the open 400 and ran her fastest relay leg just shy of her 30th bday. That year she was running alot of 200s and had the bye to bejing but shocked everyone running the 400 and winning.

Because of kersees heavy volume teaining and felixs physiology i think the transition would be easier than it would be for most. Also there is always much fanfare over which race Allyson will run every olympic year accompanied by what i deem deliberate disinformation probably coming from the kersee camp itself to keeo intrigue up. Who remembers how in 2012 felix camp said she was doubling but wasnt sure which double as late as soring 2012 after diamond league had srarted. Does anyone believe after felix pr'ed in the 60 and the 100 early in the season she was ever seriously training with the 400 in mind ? For all we know felix is building a base of speed early on for the 400 and not indicating thats whats happening. We just have to wait and see.

Comment

I think the 400 is her best shot at winning, and certainly at being on at least one of the relay teams.

Comment

Originally posted by fasttrak85 View Post
                  For all we know felix is building a base of speed early on for the 400 and not indicating thats whats happening. We just have to wait and see.
                  They may change their minds, but I repeat, the meet commentary made it pretty clear that she said she was preparing for the 200.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                    They may change their minds, but I repeat, the meet commentary made it pretty clear that she said she was preparing for the 200.
                    Until Felix says it herself and/or is on the start line, commentary by others doesn't mean much of anything.

Comment

I went back and re-watched the stream/broadcast of the final ATL event with Felix and while I originally thought Felix either said or confirmed that she was returning to the 200m as her long range goal, that is not the case. Ato was the only one who mentioned it and he doesn't actually say this is the event she will shoot for in the Olympics. So I'm now with those saying that we'll have to wait and see what she ends up running....assuming anyone is running anything this summer in Tokyo.

Comment

Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post
                        Ato . . . doesn't actually say this is the event she will shoot for in the Olympics.
                        That's not how I remember it (not that my memory is a titanium trap!). I thought he was indeed relaying her views. What did he say?

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                          That's not how I remember it (not that my memory is a titanium trap!). I thought he was indeed relaying her views. What did he say?
                          Everything was from his point of view "she's moving back to her baby...the 200m". Nothing straight from the horses mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post
                            Everything was from his point of view "she's moving back to her baby...the 200m". Nothing straight from the horses mouth.
                            Alllll-righty then! Mystery cleared and re-clouded.

Comment

Forget what Ato said. Felix NEEDS to run the 400. Im sorry but Felix is not beating a healthy SMU DAS and ET. That may well be one of the best fields since 88 and 92. If she runs a 400 with no smu and maybe no nasser she may have a good shot of being on the podium or better.

Comment

Originally posted by fasttrak85 View Post
                                Forget what Ato said. Felix NEEDS to run the 400.
                                I'm pretty sure that she can decide for herself what she NEEDS to run.

Comment

Working...
                                X