Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wiederganger View Post

Looking at everyone's points, I think I agree that she will enter both events, and then decide during the trials. Which could itself mean scratching from the 400m, or even run one round and pull out or whatever. But she'll be in that 200m.
    So we were right.

Comment

Im not sure I like this idea. If she is really banking on the 200 riunning 3 rounds of the 400 is not her friend. For Allyson to be a ,200 threat she needsto be an aggressive sub 11 sprinter like in 2012 where she ironically didnt run any 400 races . Sometimes when you straddle the middle of the road you end up roadkill
      Last edited by fasttrak85; 04-15-2021, 11:08 AM.

Comment

My bet is that she will be entered in both events and make a firm decision closer to the actual meet.

Comment

Originally posted by KevinR View Post
          My bet is that she will be entered in both events and make a firm decision closer to the actual meet.
          Or AT the meet.

Comment

Originally posted by KevinR View Post
            Its a tremendous gamble to only run the 200, which is getting increasingly deep. Top 6 in the 400 gets her into the relay pool, but it's all or nothing if she just does the 200. Not saying top 6 in that 400 will be a gimme for her, but certainly more room for error just to make it on the plane to Tokyo.
            There are no strings on me

Comment

Originally posted by guru View Post
              Its a tremendous gamble to only run the 200, which is getting increasingly deep.
              It is a gamble, especially when SMU has opened her outdoor season in 22.03, a time which is greater than Felix's last season running the event (22.33 in 2017) and akin to her overall season bests in 2016 (22.02) , 2015 (21.98) & 2014 (22.02) which were all in the same ballpark. In fact, in the last decade, there is only one season in which Felix was significantly faster, her 2012 season.

Of course, Felix hasn't run the event outdoors yet, but she is certainly up against it. However, I'll reiterate that I was impressed by her 22.59 indoors, and I imagine she is in around 22.3 shape.

I don't recall her running a 100m so early in the season before. She may get that down to 11.1 come next month, and in those seasons where she was in 22.0 form, she was running 11.05- 11.1 in May. So if she does run a 100m in 2-3 weeks, we'll have a comparison.

I'm keen to see where she opens up her 400m campaign though. After splitting from Nike, didn't she say something about wanting to run in smaller meets, places she hadn't competed in before etc. or am I making that up? I've always said, I like to see elite 400m athletes run against at least some of their top competition in the 400m at some point prior to a champs, otherwise they don't get a sense of pacing when there are other fast athletes around them. But hey, I'm no Kersee.

Comment

Its a tremendous gamble to only run the 200, which is getting increasingly deep..
                Also on that note, Schippers training looks to be going well. She posted a vide of her doing relay exchanges on training camp. She was doing some reps over around 80m against Lieke Klaver, the 200/400 runner, and was starting around 3-4m behind her, but come the exchange she was a meter in front. 80m obviously isn't Klaver's strongest distance, but even so, Dafne looked to be flying and very sharp. She's in the team for the World Relays, so we'll soon get to see what form she is in. But it looks like she won't be the same Dafne as the last couple of seasons.
                Last edited by Wiederganger; 04-15-2021, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiederganger View Post

Also on that note, Schippers training looks to be going well. She posted a vide of her doing relay exchanges on training camp. She was doing some reps over around 80m against Lieke Klaver, the 200/400 runner, and was starting around 3-4m behind her, but come the exchange she was a meter in front. 80m obviously isn't Klaver's strongest distance, but even so, Dafne looked to be flying and very sharp. She's in the team for the World Relays, so we'll soon get to see what form she is in. But it looks like she won't be the same Dafne as the last couple of seasons.
                  In seeing that footage I agreed that she looked sharp, though Klaver is bounding stride sort of 200/400m athlete so will flatter. One thing is her relaxation that's perhaps there, in an attempt to get back to her '15 form I feel like she forces it at times, perhaps knowing that through injuries it's not there in the same way it once was, though forcing won't bring it back. Confidence wise returning to her old camp might be what she needs to shift things again. I know we're not going to see Schippers in a 4x4 any time soon but I would still like to see it happen one day.

Comment

Originally posted by Speedster View Post
                    I know we're not going to see Schippers in a 4x4 any time soon but I would still like to see it happen one day.
                    National Relay coach Laurent Meuwly keeps getting asked this, and his stance has always been that her focus is the 100, 200 & 4x100, with the aim of getting the NED team to a sub 42 sec clocking, which can challenge for a medal. However, in his last interview he intriguingly left it a bit more open ended. My take: If NED don't make the w4x1 final, there is a small chance he would run her in the 4x4 final.

I think that would be dependent on 3 other factors: 1) Schippers willingness to run a 400m and whether she is in or near her best form over 200m (the obvious caveat) 2) the form of the '4th' runner in the NED 4x4 team. and 3) the form of POL, GBR, JAM & their nearest competition for a lesser medal behind USA.

Re 1) whether she gets a medal in one of her individual events may also play a part: confidence and on a high, vs frustration.
                    Re 2) Assuming Bol & Klaver are in and in form, and looking at how Lisanne DeWitte is coming back, then it's all down to their number 4 woman. If all the options (Bouma, Saalberg, Dopheide, 'other' DeWitte) are outside 53 secs, he may gamble with Schippers. But a 53 leg runner aint gonna cut it for a medal at the Olympics, they need a woman who can run a 51 leg as their 4th athlete.
                    Re 3) With some nations also trying to medal in the mixed 4x4, as NED will, he will assess who's in form, who is tired, and what is a realistic target is and what they need on each leg. He may decide a gamble will pay off.

Me, I love seeing a 200m runner step up. John Regis ran some great legs for GBR, Silke Knoll did for GER....and of course Felix pre 400m career.

Comment

Conversation on Ato Bolden's twitter: https://twitter.com/AtoBoldon/status...94776380747776

@WPalmerCurl: what does Felix plan to race at Trials?

@AtoBoldon: 200m, no 400m.

@mombojom: Does Felix still have the foot speed for the 200? After the 50.88 into that heavy headwind in the last straight away, I thought she laid down the gauntlet for the 400

@AtoBoldon: Dina and Shaunae aren’t going anywhere, so I’ll admit I don’t understand that calculation. 400 is an easier road to gold.

Comment

Originally posted by ATK View Post
                        @WPalmerCurl: what does Felix plan to race at Trials?

@AtoBoldon: 200m, no 400m.

I'll believe it when I see it.

As I said several weeks ago just running the 200 is a massive gamble, as it severely limits her chances of being in Tokyo. Fourth place is worthless, whereas a top six in the 400 puts her on the plane(and likely adds two more medals to her collection).

The 200 wildcard may well be Abby Steiner. If she's healthy, and has just been held back the last several weeks in order to peak at the Trials, she will be a serious threat to go sub-22. We'll see this weekend.

There are no strings on me

Comment

I can see why she would just do one event, rather than two: she's 35 now, it isn't getting any easier, and even with a generous US Trials timetable, it's still asking a lot for someone to double and make the team in 2 events. Look at the years when she has attempted to do the 200/400 double: she just missed out in the 200m in 2016 (a great achievement, mind, after an injured preparation) and in 2011 when she did make the team in both, she didn't get the gold expected of her in Daegu. Even when she did the 100/200 double in 2012, she was mighty lucky to get the 3rd spot in the 100m.

I think partly why Felix's career has been so long is due to smart racing - she's had years when she has raced very lightly - and focusing on one sprint event, not two.

So, if she does do one event, then it's a case of which is the easiest path, which we have discussed before. I think most have felt that nationally, the competition will be tough in both, but globally, the 400m will be easier. That being said...Thompson is obviously carrying some sort of injury after withdrawing from two meets, so she may be a question mark. Schippers is looking nowhere near like a threat. That could be two out of the way already, we need to wait and see. Then Ta Lou will always be a 22+ woman, Okagbare is just too inconsistent, and SAFP, even if she doubles, will likely not be a big factor on the podium. Richardson is a big unknown factor, and we await which other Americans qualify (Thomas, likely, and then..?). And any athlete that does double in the 100/200, will have some fatigue in their legs, whereas she will be fresh (one of the reasons why VCB's 2008 win was so dominant was because she was fresher with no 100m in her legs like usual)

SMU and DAS are the two obvious favourites for gold (although again, SMU's 200m in Boston was ever so slightly disappointing - expected sub 22 - and she did say she had some niggles) but who knows what lies ahead. Maybe a bronze is on the cards, which would be amazing, but we know SMU has had her own share of mishaps too.

Comment

I'll believe it when I see it.

As I said several weeks ago just running the 200 is a massive gamble, as it severely limits her chances of being in Tokyo. Fourth place is worthless, whereas a top six in the 400 puts her on the plane(and likely adds two more medals to her collection).

The 200 wildcard may well be Abby Steiner. If she's healthy, and has just been held back the last several weeks in order to peak at the Trials, she will be a serious threat to go sub-22. We'll see this weekend.
                            I agree 100%. I still think she's running both at trials.

And I think top 8 in the 400 final are in the pool like it was in 2019. They can use 4 alternates between the heats and finals of both the mixed and regular 4x4 in Tokyo.

Comment

I still think she's running both at trials.
                              Most likely scenario: she'll enter both, then she and Bobby will make a late decision whether to run the first event, the 400.
                              If she does run the 400 and makes the team (which I think the odds are in her favor), then, depending on how she feels, she can decide whether to pursue the 200 option for the OG.

Comment

Conversation on Ato Bolden's twitter: https://twitter.com/AtoBoldon/status...94776380747776

@AtoBoldon: Dina and Shaunae aren’t going anywhere, so I’ll admit I don’t understand that calculation. 400 is an easier road to gold.
                                Gold? I want what Ato's smoking.

Comment

Working...
                                X