X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atticus
    replied
    Originally posted by TWalsh View Post
    So technically, Felix was on the USC track and field roster for a short time.
    And ALL USC students are Trojans!

Leave a comment:

• 18.99s
    replied
    Originally posted by ATK View Post

Thanks for that clarification! I always knew she attended the school as a student, but thought she went pro early enough that she never ended up on the T&F team roster
    Most schools don't publish their track & field roster before November or December, but apparently USC has a practice of publishing the new roster in the summer, as they already have the 2022 roster on their site.
    https://usctrojans.com/sports/track-...ter?path=track
    Last edited by 18.99s; 07-23-2021, 08:58 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ATK
    replied
    Originally posted by TWalsh View Post

I was on the USC coaching staff at the time. So, I know this situation very well. Allyson Felix decided to sign a letter of intent to attend USC, and run for Ron Allice and the Trojans. She was looking forward to joining her brother Wes, who was already a successfully sprinter on the USC team. But the week before the Fall semester started at USC, Felix signed her pro shoe contract with Adidas. And she was no longer eligible to compete for USC. Adidas paid for her education, and she earned a degree from the school.
    So technically, Felix was on the USC track and field roster for a short time. But she never competed in a USC uniform for the school. The school has been getting positive publicity from this technicality for years!
    Thanks for that clarification! I always knew she attended the school as a student, but thought she went pro early enough that she never ended up on the T&F team roster

Leave a comment:

• TWalsh
    replied

To be fair I guess my confusion was with the idea of being a Trojan (or any school's mascot) as an attendee vs an actual athlete on a the schools team. They are saying she is a former Trojan T&F athlete and the marketing makes it seem as if she ran for the team. I never actually associated "regular" students with a schools mascot name.

Examples:
    "15 Trojan track & field athletes will compete in Tokyo": https://twitter.com/USC_Track_Field/...55745168830465
    "USC has had a gold medal winner in every Summer Olympics since 1912, including @allysonfelix's 6 the most by any Trojan.": https://twitter.com/USC_Athletics/st...65638382768137

Also note, no criticizm just curiosity.

I was on the USC coaching staff at the time. So, I know this situation very well. Allyson Felix decided to sign a letter of intent to attend USC, and run for Ron Allice and the Trojans. She was looking forward to joining her brother Wes, who was already a successfully sprinter on the USC team. But the week before the Fall semester started at USC, Felix signed her pro shoe contract with Adidas. And she was no longer eligible to compete for USC. Adidas paid for her education, and she earned a degree from the school.
    So technically, Felix was on the USC track and field roster for a short time. But she never competed in a USC uniform for the school. The school has been getting positive publicity from this technicality for years!

Leave a comment:

• ATK
    replied
    Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    Do they say that, or are you inferring that?
    To be fair I guess my confusion was with the idea of being a Trojan (or any school's mascot) as an attendee vs an actual athlete on a the schools team. They are saying she is a former Trojan T&F athlete and the marketing makes it seem as if she ran for the team. I never actually associated "regular" students with a schools mascot name.

Examples:
    "15 Trojan track & field athletes will compete in Tokyo": https://twitter.com/USC_Track_Field/...55745168830465
    "USC has had a gold medal winner in every Summer Olympics since 1912, including @allysonfelix's 6 the most by any Trojan.": https://twitter.com/USC_Athletics/st...65638382768137

Also note, no criticizm just curiosity.

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    But they are also including Felix as if she ran for the track team team as opposed to just went to school there.
    Do they say that, or are you inferring that?

Leave a comment:

• NotDutra5
    replied
    Out of curiosity, why does USC Track and Field claim Felix as a former Trojan? I know I have seen it in previous years as well, but in the lead up to the Olympics they have been hyping up the likes of Muhammad, Norman, Benjamin DeGrasse etc. But they are also including Felix as if she ran for the track team team as opposed to just went to school there.

Did I miss something about her college years? Or maybe she was a volunteer coach?
    Strictly academic. She got her degree from USC.

Leave a comment:

• ATK
    replied
    Out of curiosity, why does USC Track and Field claim Felix as a former Trojan? I know I have seen it in previous years as well, but in the lead up to the Olympics they have been hyping up the likes of Muhammad, Norman, Benjamin DeGrasse etc. But they are also including Felix as if she ran for the track team team as opposed to just went to school there.

Did I miss something about her college years? Or maybe she was a volunteer coach?

Leave a comment:

• TN1965
    replied
    Originally posted by scottmitchell74 View Post

Word-salad nonsense. Just a string of barely related words.
    OK boomer.

Leave a comment:

• scottmitchell74
    replied
    Originally posted by TN1965 View Post
    Why Olympic women athletes have often left Nike (yahoo.com)

“And that wide mainstream appeal is always a certain kind of body that is positioned as kind of the dominant, normative kind of way of thinking."[/I]
    Word-salad nonsense. Just a string of barely related words.

Leave a comment:

• TN1965
    replied
    Why Olympic women athletes have often left Nike (yahoo.com)

“They want to be individually marketed to and I think that the Nikes of the world are still thinking about wide mainstream appeal,” Cox, whose current research includes girls and women's basketball, told Yahoo Sports. “And that wide mainstream appeal is always a certain kind of body that is positioned as kind of the dominant, normative kind of way of thinking."

Leave a comment:

• TN1965
    replied
    Here is a nice collection of photos.

The best images of U.S. Olympic track star Allyson Felix through the years (yahoo.com)

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Originally posted by gm View Post
    I can't name more than three or four current NBA players. Companies are obviously wasting their money sponsoring basketball.
    For baseball, I've got Trout and Harper, then I'm tapped out.
    Whether I want to or not, I can name NFL players, who dominate the media here.

When we watch the Olympics, how many teams will have very similar Nike jerseys?
    Last edited by Atticus; 07-15-2021, 09:02 PM.

Leave a comment:

• gm
    replied
    I can't name more than three or four current NBA players. Companies are obviously wasting their money sponsoring basketball.

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
    It is all ephemeral for a track athlete soon forgotten after the Olympics these days.
    Sorry to hear your memory is failing you.
    She will be well remembered by the rest of us.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X