Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Madrid WIT (Holloway 7.32 =AR heat; 7.29 WR, AR)

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gh View Post
    except that good timing crews set it up so it's usually the same or slower
    Yes, your explanation answered my question about why it wasn't a faster time.

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post

it's not a faulty clock: the first time taht comes up is an eyebeam that takes an instant reading when the first part of the body (not necessarily the torso, which is used for official times). Good timing crews usually have the eyebeam set so if anything it reads a 100th slower than what the real time would be.

If you think "taking away the moment" is a problem, think how distressed everyone would be to have the eyebeam report a WR and then have to tell the athlete and fans "oh, sorrry, our bad"
      Good point.

Well I definitely learned something new about clocks and official times.

Comment

Again heard instances today of announcers saying times were "corrected" when it was just a flash time versus the official time. SMH.

Comment

Originally posted by gm View Post
          Again heard instances today of announcers saying times were "corrected" when it was just a flash time versus the official time. SMH.
          Is that better than the also commonly heard "rounded down/up"?

Comment

Originally posted by ATK View Post
            That one grinds my gears, too

Comment

Originally posted by ATK View Post
              But I thought that is what they actually do with the a 10.237 time in the 100 - round it up to 10.24???? I guessing you mean the flash time being rounded up/down?

Comment

Originally posted by proofs in the pudd'in View Post

But I thought that is what they actually do with the a 10.237 time in the 100 - round it up to 10.24????
                That's not what commentators are referring to. They are talking about the difference between the flash time and the official time.

Comment

That's not what commentators are referring to. They are talking about the difference between the flash time and the official time.
                  I thought that instantly and edited my response but you were lighting fast - 1.112 or shall we say 1.12

Comment

Dwight and Dan and Ato now better, but sometimes even they take the lazy way out and say that.
                    Dwight is usually the most candid, which is why I like him the best. Plus, he always says something instructive about biomechanics or technical aspects, even in the longer runs. Yesterday (SECs) he talked about the things he does with HIS HJers.

Comment

Corrected is the right term.

Comment

Originally posted by 26mi235 View Post

Corrected is the right term.
                        No, it's not.

Comment

No, it's not.
                          Are you referring to some institutional (WA?) term?
                          If not, it's a semantic choice that I also find applicable. The Flash Time is a measured approximation. The Actual Time is the 'correct' time, i.e., corrected. 'Refined', maybe, but that doesn't sound right either.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                            Are you referring to some institutional (WA?) term?
                            If not, it's a semantic choice that I also find applicable. The Flash Time is a measured approximation. The Actual Time is the 'correct' time, i.e., corrected. 'Refined', maybe, but that doesn't sound right either.
                            The proper phrase is "official time", but hey, whatever.

Comment

The proper phrase is "official time", but hey, whatever.
                              Indeed, but people like to put a relationship between them, so I think 'corrected' fits.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                                Indeed, but people like to put a relationship between them, so I think 'corrected' fits.
                                No idea what that means. Let's just move on.

Comment

Working...
                                X