Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Madrid WIT (Holloway 7.32 =AR heat; 7.29 WR, AR)

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atticus
    replied
    Originally posted by gh View Post
    corrected implies there was an error, when there most certainly was not one
    ??!!
    The Flash Time, to 98% of the people watching, Is the finish time. WE know it has an inherent error in it, vis-a-vis what the camera will show. We expect a 'correction' (sometimes there is not one) to the OFFICIAL time.
    This is, as usual, a semantic differential. We, here, understand, what's going on, but even I, a core-fan for OVER 50 years, never knew that some FAT crews make sure the 'error' is slower than the Offical Time, so there's lots of room here for discourse.

Leave a comment:

• gm
    replied
    Originally posted by gh View Post
    In the myriad OG/WC/USATF/NCAA meets I've announced through the years, my preferred terminology for the crowd has long been

"unofficial winning time x....[ pause].... and the official winning time is y"
    BINGO!

Also, it would be a nice short feature for one of the broadcasts to explain the difference, the tech, etc.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    In the myriad OG/WC/USATF/NCAA meets I've announced through the years, my preferred terminology for the crowd has long been

"unofficial winning time x....[ pause].... and the official winning time is y"

Leave a comment:

• ATK
    replied
    "7.32....Now officially 7.29"
    "7.32....rounded down to 7.29"
    "7.32....corrected to 7.29"

Only one of these really makes sense

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    corrected implies there was an error, when there most certainly was not one

Leave a comment:

• gm
    replied
    Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    Indeed, but people like to put a relationship between them, so I think 'corrected' fits.
    No idea what that means. Let's just move on.

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Originally posted by gm View Post
    The proper phrase is "official time", but hey, whatever.
    Indeed, but people like to put a relationship between them, so I think 'corrected' fits.

Leave a comment:

• gm
    replied
    Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    Are you referring to some institutional (WA?) term?
    If not, it's a semantic choice that I also find applicable. The Flash Time is a measured approximation. The Actual Time is the 'correct' time, i.e., corrected. 'Refined', maybe, but that doesn't sound right either.
    The proper phrase is "official time", but hey, whatever.

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    No, it's not.
    Are you referring to some institutional (WA?) term?
    If not, it's a semantic choice that I also find applicable. The Flash Time is a measured approximation. The Actual Time is the 'correct' time, i.e., corrected. 'Refined', maybe, but that doesn't sound right either.

Leave a comment:

• gm
    replied
    Originally posted by 26mi235 View Post

Corrected is the right term.
    No, it's not.

Leave a comment:

• 26mi235
    replied
    Again heard instances today of announcers saying times were "corrected" when it was just a flash time versus the official time. SMH.
    Corrected is the right term.

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Dwight and Dan and Ato now better, but sometimes even they take the lazy way out and say that.
    Dwight is usually the most candid, which is why I like him the best. Plus, he always says something instructive about biomechanics or technical aspects, even in the longer runs. Yesterday (SECs) he talked about the things he does with HIS HJers.

Leave a comment:

• proofs in the pudd'in
    replied

That's not what commentators are referring to. They are talking about the difference between the flash time and the official time.
    I thought that instantly and edited my response but you were lighting fast - 1.112 or shall we say 1.12

Leave a comment:

• gm
    replied
    Originally posted by proofs in the pudd'in View Post

But I thought that is what they actually do with the a 10.237 time in the 100 - round it up to 10.24????
    That's not what commentators are referring to. They are talking about the difference between the flash time and the official time.

Leave a comment:

• proofs in the pudd'in
    replied
    Originally posted by ATK View Post
    Is that better than the also commonly heard "rounded down/up"?
    But I thought that is what they actually do with the a 10.237 time in the 100 - round it up to 10.24???? I guessing you mean the flash time being rounded up/down?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X