Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2021 Euro Indoor Champs

To get this ball arollin', I'm wondering where some of the big names are - Giles, Wightman, M-LaGarde, Asher-Smith, Muir, Reekie, Hassan, etc..

Martinot-Lagarde (no capital letter please ) is injured since January, DAS has been injured too so she stopped her season early. Several British athletes decided not to go to Poland to focus on the outdoor season (don't really understand it but ok), probably applies for Hassan.
    Great to see both Mayer and Thiam (sadly no KJT), the former cleared 5.30 in the PV yesterday (from 10 strides) so we could see an AR.
    Really looking forward to mPV (obvious reasons) and wHJ (for Mahuchikh and the new 15 y.o Belgian sensation Merel Maes).

Comment

Originally posted by ZazaShoya View Post
      Several British athletes decided not to go to Poland to focus on the outdoor season.
      No Giles, Muir, Reekie 🙁

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
        No Giles, Muir, Reekie 🙁
        Giles was in the original team but has opted to give it a miss. Muir announced quite a while ago she was not going and I assume Reekie, her training partner, did the same.

As for other Brits you mentioned upthread, I don't think Asher-Smith ever had it in her plans, while Wightman's only race this winter was the New York 1500.

ZazaShoya mentioned KJT. She is recovering from an injury.
        Last edited by Trickstat; 02-28-2021, 05:53 PM.

Comment

As I just said on Twitter, these MIA's at INdoor Euros is very similar to all the US stars who don't compete at INdoor USATF's!!
          LOL

Comment

European Athletics page from where you can access the Final Entry Lists, Timetable etc - https://european-athletics.com/compe...-championships

Comment

Obviously a number of stars aren't competing, but I'd still say the entry lists look more impressive than you'd expect in an Olympic year. Look at how many top names didn't make it to the 2016 WIC.
              Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Originally posted by ZazaShoya View Post
                Great to see both Mayer and Thiam (sadly no KJT), the former cleared 5.30 in the PV yesterday (from 10 strides) so we could see an AR.
                Really looking forward to mPV (obvious reasons) and wHJ (for Mahuchikh and the new 15 y.o Belgian sensation Merel Maes).
                I agree with all of the above, and I'd add m800 as one of the potentially most exciting events. Even with Giles missing, you've got Jamie Webb (1:44.54 this year) and Andreas Kramer (1:45.09) vs 3-time champ Adam Kszczot and the new 800 sensation Patryk Dobek, who beat Kszczot in the nationals, vs world champ Pierre-Amboise Bosse and WC medalist Amel Tuka.
                Last edited by Powell; 02-28-2021, 09:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Trickstat View Post
                  As for other Brits you mentioned upthread, I don't think Asher-Smith ever had it in her plans,
                  Asher-Smith announced she pulled out of Euros weeks ago after an injury
                  https://www.runnersworld.com/uk/news...-injury-scare/

Comment

Originally posted by Powell View Post
                    Obviously a number of stars aren't competing, but I'd still say the entry lists look more impressive than you'd expect in an Olympic year. Look at how many top names didn't make it to the 2016 WIC.
                    perhaps (way) more people than usual still looking to get their OG qualifier out of the way?

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post

perhaps (way) more people than usual still looking to get their OG qualifier out of the way?
                      Either a direct qualifier, or a qualifying place from the rankings. The EIC give pretty good ranking points.

Comment

Originally posted by Powell View Post
                        So, Powell, as our national rep host, give us your Gold favorites!
                        All I know is what the WA lists tell us. I do think a lot more Poles will be Top 3 that their current standing would suggest.
                        I like J inge in the 1500, Mondo in the PV, Bol in the 400, Mahuchikh in HJ - how's that for going out on a limb?

Comment

Mondo may not have it so easy with Lavillenie in 6+ form. Sure starts as the favorite, but he's not miles ahead.

I also hope (against hope?) Lewandowski can still be competitive with Jakob I. This time they are due to race each other twice, in the 1500 and 3000.

Comment

NED are looking at their best Champs ever, with potential medals in the m& w400m; m & w 4x400m; w60mh; possibly mPV.

The women's 400m SF's are going to be very interesting and could be quite scrappy, there are a number of women peppering the 52sec mark who will think they stand a chance of making the final. Lane draw & line-ups for those SFs are going to be crucial. Bol looks a clear favourite for the title. The only hurdle I can possibly see for her is to be careful she doesn't let too many women get ahead of her at the break, because we know how hard it can be to run wide round athletes. Conversely, Klaver's possible only chance of winning is that very scenario, Schwab & AN Other cutting in before Bol, disrupting her stride and then making her run wide, allowing Klaver to hold on. But there is a real possibility she could be swept up in the last meters if she misjudges the pace.

I'm hoping Lavillenie can give Duplantis a good battle, but one would think the latter will literally raise his game a notch when he needs to.

I'm really looking forward to both multievents.
                            Last edited by Wiederganger; 03-01-2021, 09:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                              So, Powell, as our national rep host, give us your Gold favorites!
                              All I know is what the WA lists tell us. I do think a lot more Poles will be Top 3 that their current standing would suggest.
                              I like J inge in the 1500, Mondo in the PV, Bol in the 400, Mahuchikh in HJ - how's that for going out on a limb?
                              Come on Atticus. That's not going out on a limb.

​​​​​​Shot (M, W), 60M (M, W), HJ(M), PV(W), LJ(M), 40,(M)

Now, that would be going out on a limb. 😂😂

Comment

Working...
                              X