Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    It really is that easy......but they failed in their primary duty - help the sport(s) they represent.
    Dude, come on...

Comment

Originally posted by ATK View Post
      A quick google search provides a very clear and understandable explanation as to why the meets are so close together, decided months ago. Sure not everyone agrees, but unfortunately a pandemic upended the world and decisions that some people like and others dont had to be made.

Looks like schools adjusted anyway way and I think most agree, Outdoor is the real goal anyway.
      Not taking sides here, just wondering what the explanation is, if there's a quick link or two you found and could share.

Comment

I've seen other variations on the same theme but this is the easiest to find and a concise writing.

The NCAA XC champs will be held on March 15, just two days after NCAA Indoors. Jonathan Gault spoke to several top NCAA coaches to figure out why the schedule turned out that way -- and how they're adjusting. Many coaches indicated they are likely to blow off one of the championships entirely.

Comment

Yup thats the one with the best summary. I also remember debate/discussion (on these boards and in the overall T&F community) about the decision back in the fall

Comment

Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post
            I've seen other variations on the same theme but this is the easiest to find and a concise writing.
            Here's what I'm reading there:

Ed Eyestone, who coached the BYU men to the national title in cross country last fall, would like to see a slightly bigger gap between the two meets. His proposal: move NCAA XC, currently scheduled for Monday, March 15, back to Saturday, March 20.
            Most NCAA coaches I spoke to for this article support Eyestone’s proposal.
            QED. Thanks for supporting my view.

Comment

So some disagree and some agree with the scheduling...that's never been the issue. This was known back in November by those who were paying attention. They also apparently manage to do so without berating the schedule makers as nonsensical nitwits. Imagine that? That is the issue.

Comment

Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post
                That is the issue.
                Depends on one's perspective. If you see the majority of coaches' views as being the sensible decision, anything else is not the right one.
                Last edited by Atticus; 03-05-2021, 07:00 PM.

Comment

If you see the majority of coaches' views as being the sensible decision, anything else is not the right one.
                  "Most NCAA coaches I spoke to for this article support Eyestone’s proposal."
                  That doesn't mean most or majority of all coaches in the NCAA

Comment

Depends on one's perspective. If you see the majority of coaches' views as being the sensible decision, anything else is not the right one.
                    I guess if one's perspective is to lash out without knowing any details of how the decision was made in a situation difficult for all, you'd be correct. Typically, this board avoids doing so without thought. Not in this case.

Comment

That doesn't mean most or majority of all coaches in the NCAA
                      We can only go with the facts at hand, but what a great idea it would have been to just go with a vote of the coaches!
                      How many would have come up with the solution the committee did? Perhaps a majority, because so few had a chance to excel at both.
                      I would have thought the ones whom it impacts the most (Eyestone!) would have a large say.

Comment

We can only go with the facts at hand, but what a great idea it would have been to just go with a vote of the coaches!
                        How many would have come up with the solution the committee did? Perhaps a majority, because so few had a chance to excel at both.
                        I would have thought the ones whom it impacts the most (Eyestone!) would have a large say.
                        I assumed the committee included coaches who have interest and are impacted by these decisions. Is there a list of specific people on the committee?

"the NCAA Division I Men’s and Women’s Track & Field and Cross Country Committee (MWTFCCC) — a 12-person body consisting of collegiate coaches and administrators"

Comment

I assumed the committee included coaches who have interest and are impacted by these decisions. Is there a list of specific people on the committee?

"the NCAA Division I Men’s and Women’s Track & Field and Cross Country Committee (MWTFCCC) — a 12-person body consisting of collegiate coaches and administrators"
                          Any one who has no dog in the fight should defer to those who did. BYU, Oregon, etc., are the ones with the most to lose. Denying athletes the opportunity to compete in both at full fitness is hurting those who should matter the most.

Are any athletes (Teare?) running in both? It MAY still be possible, though certainly not ideal (or even good).

I am in neither high nor low dudgeon about this - it was indeed avoidable, but that milk is spilt, curdled and moldy now.

Comment

What Atticus is saying is pure common sense. The link that was sent supports his stance.Time to move on.Nothing can be changed this year now.

Comment

Noticed that Oregon women didn't even run the Pac 10 or 12 Cross Country Champs yesterday, so doubt they'll have anyone running NCAA XC (men ran a B team). In fact I doubt there will be very few athletes trying to double back on Monday. Or there will be people scratching from Sat. races at Indoors, if it's part of a double or triple.
                              Last edited by Bruce Kritzler; 03-06-2021, 05:08 AM.

Comment

XC is NOT my favorite part of our sport!
                                So my opinion might be flavored by that!

Why did they schedule a XC Champs that's dated 2020---for 2021??
                                Everything else Collegiate--beginning with the INdoor Champs of 2020--was cancelled!
                                No OUTdoor season or Champs!
                                So why didn't they just add the 2020 XC season to their list of cancellations?/
                                Having the PREVIOUS YEAR's Championship race NOW is---IMHO--ridiculous!!

Comment

Working...
                                X