Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ATK View Post
    We also haven't seen Phyllis Francis or Wadeline Jonathas open up yet.
    WJ ran 51.x today, forget where.

Comment

I would not be surprised if McLaughlin also attempted the 400h and 400 flat at the OT's.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
        WJ ran 51.x today, forget where.
        Just found it. 51.49 at the SC Gamecock invitational

Comment

Hmm, I'm not as confident in that just yet. She basically finished even with Hayes who has been on the rebound from child birth and almost PRd in her 400m opener. We also haven't seen Phyllis Francis or Wadeline Jonathas open up yet.

I'm actually more convinced the faster Little gets, the better her hurdle chances are. Remember she ran 52.75, only having a flat PB of 50.40 at the time. Is 52 low out of the realm of possibility?
          After that 52.75 in 2017, 4 of her remaining 5 races that year were 55+, and none were sub-54.

Lack of consistency is her problem, and the hurdles punish inconsistency more than the flat. Her legs and lungs could physically be in 52-low shape, but then a stutter-step here or a clipped hurdle there and she's at 53 or 54 and off the team.

Comment

While we're awarding Olympic slots, has McLaughlin done anything of any consequence other than a couple of low key hurdle races? At this point we have no idea what kind of shape she's in and we're more than a year since we have. She may very well be in fantastic shape but we haven't seen it.

Comment

Mens 100m
              King 9.97
              Gatlin 9.98 (age 39 record?)
              Wind +1.9
              I’m thinking that Gatlin makes the team.

Of course this year is weird, but this is the earliest he has broken 10 in at least five years.
              Last edited by Dave; 04-11-2021, 03:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 18.99s View Post

After that 52.75 in 2017, 4 of her remaining 5 races that year were 55+, and none were sub-54.

Lack of consistency is her problem, and the hurdles punish inconsistency more than the flat. Her legs and lungs could physically be in 52-low shape, but then a stutter-step here or a clipped hurdle there and she's at 53 or 54 and off the team.
                Your completely right. Great 2015 was great, 2016 was meh. 2017, great first half, meh end half. 2018 she ranked #1 in the world, 2019 was meh.

I guess I'm seeing a lot of potential with the fact that she is not only getting faster, but also did some training with Muhammads group (might still be) leading me to believe her hurdle technique and consistency may improve. I honestly believe she has sub 52.20 potential. I'm also a bit hesitant on the idea that the 400m field is as easy as it may look now with most ladies not having run fast last year or this year yet.

But to be fair, if 2016 Ashley Spencer could miss the 400m team then come back and make the hurdles, 2021 Little looks like she should give it a shot as well!

Comment

Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post
                  While we're awarding Olympic slots, has McLaughlin done anything of any consequence other than a couple of low key hurdle races? At this point we have no idea what kind of shape she's in and we're more than a year since we have. She may very well be in fantastic shape but we haven't seen it.
                  She has an I-gram feed that indicates everything is going very well under Bobby Kersee. She runs with A Felix in practice.

Comment

But to be fair, if 2016 Ashley Spencer could miss the 400m team then come back and make the hurdles, 2021 Little looks like she should give it a shot as well!
                    Given that the 400m final is on day 3 of the trials and the 400h begins on day 8, with that amount of time to recover between events it would be self-sabotage if she doesn't attempt both. Or coach-induced sabotage if it's her coach who makes that decision.

Comment

Given that the 400 final is on day 3 of the trials and the 400H begins on day 8
                      They should all do both - y'never know!

Comment

Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post
                        Her race last weekend may have been "low key" but I'd consider a PR 13.03 to be indicating a rather high level of fitness

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                          They should all do both - y'never know!
                          Well, the women do get four days of rest between the 400 final and the 400 hurdle heats, but I guess it all depends on how well each athlete thinks she will recover from 3 hard rounds of the 400.

Comment

Given that the 400m final is on day 3 of the trials and the 400h begins on day 8, with that amount of time to recover between events it would be self-sabotage if she doesn't attempt both. Or coach-induced sabotage if it's her coach who makes that decision.
                            Correction: It would be sabotage if she doesn't attempt the 400m flat. If she finishes top 3 in that, she may then very sensibly decide to skip the 400h.

But it would be self-sabotage or coach-sabotage if she doesn't sign up for both events on paper.

Comment

Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post
                              Well, the women do get four days of rest between the 400 final and the 400 hurdle heats, but I guess it all depends on how well each athlete thinks she will recover from 3 hard rounds of the 400.
                              I would think most elite athletes say they train much harder than they race. In an East-Hard-Easy-Hard schedule,
                              this would be Easy-Medium-Hard-Easy-Easy-Easy-Easy-Medium-Medium-Hard.
                              One race per day is not much of a load, but it does put you at your limit for that 49-52 seconds!

Fri - 400 hts
                              Sat - 400 SF
                              Sun - 400 F
                              Mon-Thu - off
                              Fri - 400H hts
                              Sat - 400H SF
                              Sun - 400 F
                              Last edited by Atticus; 04-11-2021, 05:22 PM.

Comment

With those 4 days off in between events, on her present form I would go for both. It would be a tragedy if she didn't give herself the opportunity in the flat, then hit a hurdle or something in the 400 hurdles.

On Richardson, the wind was blowing a gale at the finish, you could clearly see her hair blowing, so I'm not convinced re the wind reading. However, she had a huge margin over some top class women and with none of them breaking 11, if it was windy, if shows none of them are yet in form (understandable in April). I do have a problem with her coaching set-up, but on that I shall remain mute and try and be objective: she has tremendous technique, and PJ's video analysis on twitter showed how she keeps her ankles so stiff, her hips high, and she has consistent form through the whole distance - impressive. A better start and it would have been 10.68 ish. Now, some were talking about a potential 10.5 this season from her. Personally, I want to see her run on a 'proven' track with a more reliable wind reading, preferably overseas at a DL, then I'll form my opinion. But there's no doubt she's in wicked form.

Comment

Working...
                                X