Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NCAA XC Champs

coming up Monday

Now on our home page, our Previews of each race, plus calling up our all-time Archive on the meet.

Enjoyed the previews, however the races are on a dedicated cross country course and not a golf course, as mentioned in the Men's Preview.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=231926941242675

Comment

Originally posted by Black September View Post
      Enjoyed the previews, however the races are on a dedicated cross country course and not a golf course, as mentioned in the Men's Preview. https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=231926941242675
      This was the campus golf course/cross country course prior to WWII. When I matriculated at Oklahoma A&M in 1949, it was the cross-country course but still had some greens and traps. Locals practiced golf shots but it no longer operated as a golf course. The community continued to use the course for jogging, hiking, kite flying, etc until two years ago when they fenced off the course and began major renovations in preparation for hosting the NCAA.

Old-timers do not think they improved the course. The old course had character, trees, hills, three creeks/ravines, a fence stile, alternate distance loops, and long wide-open stretches. It could easily have been modified to meet all NCAA requirements of straightaway start and finish distances and widths.

The new course has three miles of 50 meters wide sodded grass fairway, an unnecessary, inconvenient, artificial hill/ridge separating the adjacent start and finish straights. They removed dozens/hundreds of mature trees and made the creek/ravine crossings less challenging. Start and finish areas were moved 1/4 mile west to the high point of the course. The original 400-yard uphill start fairway is now the last 600 yards of the course before a 200 yard downhill finish. Spectating is more difficult.

But, I may be prejudiced. I ran on this course 1949-53, was at Cowboy Jamboree # 13, and have worked every Jamboree since returning to Oklahoma in 1974. My son ran on the old course for OSU in the 1970s, retired from OSU engineering Department two years ago, lives 100 Yards from what used to be the finishing straight, and has been the OSU XC starter for 28 years.

People seeing the course for the first time will think it is beautiful. And, it is.

Comment

Come Monday, it will be both beautiful and wet. 1.5 inches of rain between now and then. Perfect cross country conditions!

Comment

Originally posted by DrJay View Post
          Perfect cross country conditions!
          aka, TERRIBLE conditions. Why are cross country runners so masochistic? The worse the course, the happier they are. For the Navy I had to run a mile in combat boots in the sand for time. I complained before, during and after!

Comment

Why are field eventers so prissy? :-)

Comment

Originally posted by DrJay View Post
              Why are field eventers so prissy? :-)
              Cuz we actually want to put up some good numbers!
              Runners just wanna run, and if they have to jump hay bales and slop thru the mud, they're happy as pigs in . . . well, you know.

Comment

Crappy conditions are what separates XC from normal races. Miserable conditions make it a blend of Athletics and Survivor. I hope one day soon they start using drones to follow the racing at the front of the pack. I believe that the average user might find this more interesting than any other long distance races.

Comment

This course is probably as rain resistant as a course can be; broad, thick grass fairways, wood-chipped ravines.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                    Cuz we actually want to put up some good numbers!
                    Runners just wanna run, and if they have to jump hay bales and slop thru the mud, they're happy as pigs in . . . well, you know.
                    XC is not supposed to be track. Let it rain.

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
                      This course is probably as rain resistant as a course can be; broad, thick grass fairways, wood-chipped ravines.
                      It depends on the nature of the soil/subsoil and if it has been disturbed. The land had been farmed but no earth-moving equipment used except for the making a long berm between the start and finish straights.

In 2018 in preparation for the NCAA meet at UW-Madison, Zimmer (donated money) and Byrne (Coach) were going to go over some things on the course and went that day - the day before the next town over recorded about 16-18" (45cm) of rain (destroying the old record for the state). They said that there was only about one or two spots where the course was seriously wet (and [almost?] nothing was washed out). The course is along the Ice Age Trail and is the terminal moraine from the last Ice Age. Now that is probably as good as it gets unless you set up underground drainage a la Lambeau Field/Green Bay Packers. It is also set up to be generally south facing so that the soil can dry some in the later fall.

I think that NCAA 'requires' 10m for the whole course after a start of 200m (100m?) and abut 600m before the first turn (not bend), although trees in a couple of sections along with terrain leads to a bit narrower in two spots but not until after 1 km..

Comment

T&F athletes are totally have been taken advantage of by NCAA and colleges in US. Schools count indoor, outdoor, and XC as three separate sports and abuse middle and distance runners IMO for a partial scholarship or sometimes just a few hundred that may not cover books.

Comment

in addition to making minor changes to conform to all NCAA requirements of width, turns, and straight distances, OSU carpeted the entire course with now two-year-old sod. This area of Oklahoma, Payne County, was included in the famous 1889 Land Run. The flat north side of the course may have been homesteaded and farmed 131 years ago but it was native grass when I arrived there 72 years ago. The old golf course greens, constructed before WWI, may have been compacted but the running course does not pass over any old greens. Most of the old sandpits have grassed over. The100m x 600m downhill starting straight was widened but otherwise undisturbed. The berm between the parallel start and finish straights is dirt excavated to create the broad 200-meter downhill finish straight after a right turn from the final 400-yard uphill climb.
                          The timing chips and finishing corral are a vast improvement over the pre-gator and pre-radio and cell phone days, finish into a narrow chute when I resumed working XC there in 1974 as a still fit 43 years old ex-jock. My first assignment was to stand at the starting line with a stopwatch in hand, take off at the gun and run a half-mile to the one-mile mark, call out splits, run a quarter mile to the 2-mile mark before the first runner arrives, call splits, run a half-mile, trying to beat the runners back to the finish line. Do that twice in a morning and you can skip your afternoon jog.

I aged out of that assignment, segueing in forty years to clerk, finish line judge, announcer, referee, and emeritus. I will be there Monday to see if they do it right.

Runners may get some mud on their uniforms crossing the wood-chipped ravines but there will be no slogging thru miles of mud on the fairways. And, they removed the stile over the barbed wire fence. That was not a good idea 71 years ago.

Comment

Is Stillwater slated to get any snow/rain from the big storm coming out of the Rockies?

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Kritzler View Post
                              Is Stillwater slated to get any snow/rain from the big storm coming out of the Rockies?
                              Rain, no snow.

Comment

Working...
                              X