Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WA Survey

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • WA Survey

    Take the survey from WA and let them know what you think about the future of the sport.

    https://surveyhub.deloitte.co.uk/wix...654971948.aspx

  • #2
    It was alright ...not sure they will learn much from it though...

    Comment


    • #3
      I wish here in America, SOMEDAY, it got as much promotion and play as the Big Three. Given the right marketing tons of kids would be interested since it covers such a wide range of abilities. So much emphasis on the Big Three leaves tons of potential left out.

      Comment


      • #4
        Decades ago track was hugely popular....especially indoors...and it sort of withered away....

        Lots of kids participate in high school and plenty of people do road races....and still have zero interest in the professoinal side of the sport.
        Last edited by Conor Dary; 03-23-2021, 12:01 AM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Atticus View Post
          Take the survey from WA and let them know what you think about the future of the sport.

          https://surveyhub.deloitte.co.uk/wix...654971948.aspx
          So, from the WA announcement, they're surveying the world athletics family but I'd hope they would also go out to non-family as well.

          Is there scope for this on the survey or not? Otherwise, it's like a business not understanding their potential customers.

          Comment


          • #6
            All I wrote was about the huge disconnect between the federation's marketing arm and the MILLIONS of kids who participate in HS T&F every year.
            In my 25 years of coaching, I never saw any initiatives from the national level to the HS kids. Meanwhile, the national soccer federation was hard at work keeping kids interested in the game.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Atticus View Post
              All I wrote was about the huge disconnect between the federation's marketing arm and the MILLIONS of kids who participate in HS T&F every year.
              In my 25 years of coaching, I never saw any initiatives from the national level to the HS kids. Meanwhile, the national soccer federation was hard at work keeping kids interested in the game.
              Is that a discussion for World Athletics or for USATF?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by ATK View Post
                Is that a discussion for World Athletics or for USATF?
                Well, since USATF declined to send out a survey, I addressed the one I did have. Perhaps there will be a trickle-down effect.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                  All I wrote was about the huge disconnect between the federation's marketing arm and the MILLIONS of kids who participate in HS T&F every year.
                  In my 25 years of coaching, I never saw any initiatives from the national level to the HS kids. Meanwhile, the national soccer federation was hard at work keeping kids interested in the game.
                  Not sure what marketing arm would really work. You have the Olympics and as soon as they happen everyone forgets about the sport. A 2 week reality show..

                  They do their thing and that is that. I saw it in my nieces and nephew who competed at D1....

                  This only if we market it better comes up with the jogging marathon crowd...they don't care about the elites either.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                    Well, since USATF declined to send out a survey, I addressed the one I did have. Perhaps there will be a trickle-down effect.
                    Your response will likely trickle right into the trash bin, since it has no relation to the body doing the survey. But it probably made you feel better to get it off your chest, so there's that!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by gm View Post
                      Your response will likely trickle right into the trash bin, since it has no relation to the body doing the survey. But it probably made you feel better to get it off your chest, so there's that!
                      It won't (can't) be trashed, because they will compile ALL responses. What happens after that is . . . dubious.
                      But they knew going in that each responder's home-nation will color the response, so there has to be some mechanism to address 'problem areas'.
                      It's not like I'm expecting MY responses to mean ANTHING, but if enough people say similar things, who knows.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I would be pretty surprised if World Athletics put much (if any) energy into marketing for American HS track. I mean, let's be real, the HS to NCAA to Pro system is (relatively) well established compared to basically the entire rest of the world.

                        WA should be way more focused on areas globally that have tons of potential but probably don't have adequate youth development systems (ex. Nigeria, Brazil) or places that lack even more access, but could qualify more athletes to participate globally if provided more resources and attention (South East Asia, South America, West Africa etc.)

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          The survey would be more useful by asking what you like or don't like in the sport...instead the perennial and useless question of getting more fans...

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by ATK View Post
                            I would be pretty surprised if World Athletics put much (if any) energy into marketing for American HS track. I mean, let's be real, the HS to NCAA to Pro system is (relatively) well established compared to basically the entire rest of the world.

                            WA should be way more focused on areas globally that have tons of potential but probably don't have adequate youth development systems (ex. Nigeria, Brazil) or places that lack even more access, but could qualify more athletes to participate globally if provided more resources and attention (South East Asia, South America, West Africa etc.)
                            Yeah the US system is pretty good on participation in high school and college....far more than any other country. Which is much more important than whether they follow professional track.

                            I suppose programs in other countries might be worthwhile....just not sure how effective they would be with the big desire of chasing the big bucks and glory in soccer. Especially a place like Brazil.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I see soccer internationally the same as football and basketball in the US. Sure there are some running backs and point guards in the NFL and NBA right now who may have been amazing sprinters and high jumpers, but T&F shouldn't be trying to compete with or match thoes sports. As long as there is some system and/org program to ensure kids have access and exposure to the sport, thats more important IMO.

                              Though I will say, after running, I think soccer might be the most "accessible" sport played at the Olympics which is why its so popular. (granted, break dancing was just added to the games...)

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X