Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ingebrigtsen Training (?!)

From an article here:

Jakob Ingebrigtsen talked, among other things, about his recent European indoor Championships double and his current and historic training volumes.
    Normally I run 181.5 KMs (112.8 mi les) a week during winter training. The mileage I ran when I was younger is larger than many people seem to realize. I was running 100 miles (161ish kilometers) a week, already many years ago. When I was 9-10-11, I was running 120-140 kilometers some weeks.
    When I was 13 I was running at least 140 kilometers a week. I have more or less been doing at least 140 kilometers a week from that point in time, with the exception of travel days and preparations for competitions.” (And time off being injured we assume.)
    I have not skipped any running session Gjert (coach and father) has instructed me to do since I was five or six years old.
    [Interviewer:"The above cannot be treated as direct quotes from Jakob, but we think it catches the essence of what Jakob said very well."]

Can that all be believed?

Based on his performances, what is there not to believed?

Many of the Kenyans and Ethiopians were also doing prodigious distanes from a very early age at altitude. Massive training without training, just to get to school and back.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuariki View Post
      Based on his performances, what is there not to believed?
      So 100-mile weeks for a 9-year-old is fine?
      Hasn't missed practice in 13+ years?

I'm calling BS on the interview, esp. considering the last line.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
        So 100-mile weeks for a 9-year-old is fine?
        Hasn't missed practice in 13+ years?

I'm calling BS on the interview, esp. considering the last line.
        Who cares...whatever he did it worked well...

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
          Who cares...whatever he did it worked well...
          ?!
          A. The truth cares.
          B. Any kid who reads that thinks that is OK. It is not.

His training regimen is BIG NEWS and others will want to follow.

Comment

It would be a miracle these days if high school runners would even know who he is, let alone 9 year olds... so I think we are safe...

And what is truth in this case... I believe what he said....why would he lie....and who cares if he did...I don't...
            Last edited by Conor Dary; 03-26-2021, 08:38 PM.

Comment

It would be a miracle these days if high school runners would even know who he is, let alone 9 year olds... so I think we are safe...
              ???!!! You clearly haven't been around the better boy middle-distance runners. They follow Letsrun religiously and are always on the lookout for training tips.

Comment

Hi Atticus,

I wrote the article you are refering to:

https://sportindepth.com/index.php/2...nter-training/

I will try to clear up some misunderstandings.

1) I did not interview Jakob. The article is based on a podcast he did with Jann Post (Norwegian TV-commentator).

2) Jakob never said he ran 100 miles a week as a 9 year old. 120-140 kilometers does not equal 100 miles. There is no way for me to know, but I did not understand what he said as he was running 120-140 kilometers EVERY week, This is why I wrote SOME weeks.

3) Jakob did not say he had not missed practise in 13 years+. What he said is that he had not skipped any running sessions Gjert had instructed him to do. I am pretty sure there are times he will be told in no uncertain terms NOT to run. If he is injured, as an example. Furthermore the Ingebrigtsens have non-running sessions too, maybe he has skipped some of those when he was just a kid?

I apologize for my part in any of the above misunderstandings! Feel free to ask if you should have any further questions.

Mathis

Comment

"The mileage I ran when I was younger..." Ironically love the use of the imperial word "mileage" in this context. Similarly, English soccer analysts use the term "acres of space", but not "hectares of space."

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                    ???!!! You clearly haven't been around the better boy middle-distance runners. They follow Letsrun religiously and are always on the lookout for training tips.
                    There are many reasons that an adolescent should avoid that toxic forum, and misleading training tips may not be the most serious one.

Comment

Originally posted by IloveFelix View Post
                      Hi Atticus,
                      I wrote the article you are refering to
                      Thanks for addressing my concerns. I still have some, but it's certainly not your fault.

Comment

120 to 140km is 74.6 - 87 miles.

Comment

Originally posted by TN1965 View Post

There are many reasons that an adolescent should avoid that toxic forum, and misleading training tips may not be the most serious one.
                          Yeah its an insane place.... you're more likely to commit suicide than run too much spending time there.

Comment

Meanwhile...speaking of high milage of 13 years olds...I think I posted this elsewhere...but Scott Slovic's dad is a long time friend...it was his only marathon and in high school he ran cross country on those great 70s South Eugene teams. He is a heart surgeon in Portland now and still runs.

Comment

Meanwhile...speaking of high milage of 13 years olds...I think I posted this elsewhere...but Scott Slovic's dad is a long time friend...it was his only marathon and in high school he ran cross country on those great 70s South Eugene teams. He is a heart surgeon in Portland now and still runs.

What book is this?

Comment

Working...
                              X